• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Power increase? How much?

I've got a ton of questions... Here's one more.
I know it would be hard to describe, but please give it your best shot.
Would upgrading header, exhaust, intake, plugs make a huge difference in power? Is it a noticeable increase when driving vs. the stock car?

It will noticable beside another car. You should gain a few tenths of a second. I know a 91 with these same mods and a chip that pulls a 4.8 0-60pmh

------------------
94 Red & Tan NSX. One of 35 made that year.

A good exhaust upgrade(manifold, mufler) will give a significant power increase for the NSX. The stock manifold and muffler are quite restrictive, especially on the pre 97 cars. Also, the side effect of upgrading to after market exhaust system--decreased weight, will also improve acceleration.

------------------
Please visit my NSX tuning page! Mods, Japanese NSX related stuff, pics!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/6073/index.html

Hey Flying Low,

You specifically mentioned 91, why the 91s?

Doesn't the 91s weigh less than any model except maybe the Zanardi Ed? If I remember correctly the curb weight of the 91s is 3010 or so? And in 92 they added a passenger air bag and power steering and some other little things, right? or wrong? And since then the weight kept creeping up. I'm going to do some digging for some stats. If you have any more info post it please.

[This message has been edited by PUREVIL (edited 27 April 2000).]

Originally posted by PUREVIL:
Doesn't the 91s weigh less than any model except maybe the Zanardi Ed? If I remember correctly the curb weight of the 91s is 3010 or so?

The '91 and '92 cars are about the same at around 2980 curb weight for 5-speeds.

And in 92 they added a passenger air bag and power steering and some other little things, right? or wrong?

Passenger airbag was '93, power steering didn't appear on the manual transmission cars until 1995.

And since then the weight kept creeping up.

Weight went up a bit every year or two through '95/'96, then it went back down a little in '97.

I only mention a 1991 that belongs to a friend of mine. I mention it because it has all the mods that wish4nsx is asking about.
No other reason.

------------------
94 Red & Tan NSX. One of 35 made that year.

What does it take to make the 90-96 cars to go as fast as the 97-00 3.2L's?

I've been told that the newer model is significantly faster?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Mooks:
What does it take to make the 90-96 cars to go as fast as the 97-00 3.2L's?
I've been told that the newer model is significantly faster?

Well, I have driven a 1993, a 1995 and I own a 2000. The 3.2 liter engine in mine certainly does seem faster, but I am willing to bet it is purely psychological. The 1993 and 1995 were a blast to drive and the handling is really what you notice and that is pretty much the same for all NSXs. I will have to admit that I do prefer the 6 speed over the 5 speed. It seems that 1-3 is more useful in the 6 speed than 1-3 in the 5 speed because 3rd has to do so much more work in the 5 speed. The extra displacement and the extra 20hp is not the entire story, it is that PLUS the better gearing that really sold me.

The ironic part is that I bought my 2000 NSX sight unseen and having NEVER even driven the 6 speed. I have to give credit the the folks on this list and the feedback from Lud on this one. I figured there had to be a reason people with 91s were wanting to spend another $7K-$10K on ripping out the transmission just to get a 6 speed. Now that I own one... I know why.

Thanks to all of you on the list for making my choice so easy.
smile.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black
[email protected] http://www.g3.com

Originally posted by wish4nsx:
Would upgrading header, exhaust, intake, plugs make a huge difference in power

From interacting with the group here, I have gathered that there are some pretty basic modifcations that most people eventually do. I have been very anti-mods until recently, but can see the reason why these are done. The chip, intake, header, exhaust mods are almost universally done together. From what I understand they can easily raise the car above 300hp to 310hp or even as high as 330hp depending on components chosen.

I think another 20-40hp would be a huge improvement over the 290hp I have now. Also there is one major reason to do these... THE NOISE! There are other threads here talking about how wondeful the Ferraris sound and wanting that rumble. That is a good way to get it. Even if it didn't make it go any faster, it SOUNDS like it is going faster and for many, that is enough.
wink.gif

When I was growning up my father has a Lamborghini Miura SV that had a V-12 right behind your head. The car had no radio with the representatives from Lamborghini saying that the exhaust note is all the music you will ever need in this car. They were right. That is a very visceral response that is really lacking from an exotic as "civilized" as the NSX.
wink.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black
[email protected] http://www.g3.com

I have 91 NSX with HKS exhaust, Comptech header and remove the catalyst but I don't think my car is that fast sometimes
is it because I'm used to the power that I currently have or because my 17/18 inch Racing hart type C rims too heavy?

Back