• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Pre 97 with header/exhaust/chip VS 97~ NSX?

ak

Legendary Member
hello, this may be dumb and beaten over many times but I'm curious. According to the faq, it seems like both would have around the same HP...but I'm thinking 97~ is still faster cuz of it's displacement(more torque at lower end?)???

I think the major difference is the tranny. The newer car has a little more power and torque, but I think the 6-spd is the big improvement IMO.

I know two people that in the process of swapping in 6-spds into pre-97 cars. Will update after this weekend when I go for a post install test drive.

I installed the Dinnan Stage III chip, Comptech headers and exhaust, and a K&N filter in my '91. The car is making 271 rwhp. Stock 97s are making around 241 rwhp.
By istalling the short gears and 4.23 R&P I now have about 60 hp more available during the 1-2 upshift when shifting at redline. My 0-60 time is under 5 sec. unofficially (by my WATCH!). The car is tons quicker than a stock '97, and is a blast to drive.
The next step for me is the supercharger. Well, perhaps winning the lottery, and then getting the supercharger.

[This message has been edited by ChopsJazz (edited 31 August 2000).]

a NSX-R should is as fast as the NSX type-S zero to 100mph. after that, the better gearing of the 6 speed will be faster than the 5 speed. So if your pre-97 coupe has the NSX-R gear box and about 200lbs less, or 20-30hp more, you should be faster than a 97+ T-top to 100mph

------------------
Please visit my NSX tuning page! Mods, Japanese NSX related stuff, pics!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/6073/index.html

I think I remember seeing Best Motoring video clip of NSX-R vs Type S Zero, and you are quite right...NSX-R was fast off the line but S zero pulled at higher end and won.

I wish that I had dyno'd the car before and after the chip swap. I'm not persuaded that any chip is worth it's money in hp figures alone. But that said, I feel that if you do an intake and exhaust mod, then you should go with some sort of chip just for the fuel mapping needs now that your engine will be breathing better. JMO

I HAVE A 91 WITH 80K MILES. I HAD THE FOLLOWING MODS. HEADERS, INTAKE, EXHAUST AND DALI CHIP. I DYNOED AT 258RWHP, IN THE HOT,AND VERY HUMID SOUTH FLA. CLIMATE. I'M SURE IF I HAD IT DYNOED UP NORTH IN A NON HUMID CLIMATE IN THE SUMMER, IT WOULD HAVE DONE BETTER. I CAN SAY THAT I AM TOTALL CONVINCED THAT MY CAR IS FASTER THAN A STOCK 97+, AND NOW WITH THE ADDITION OF A 6SPD,AND 4.55'S, I KNOW I'M DEFINATELY FASTER. TITANIUMVTEC HAS A POINT, THE 6SPD IN THE 97+ IS WHAT MAKES THEM SUB 5 SEC'S 0-60, WITH OFCOURSE ABOUT 10-15 RWHP MORE.

Back