• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Prestige and esteem among other rich folks"

Prior to focusing on the NSX, I was going to buy a Mercedes GTS. When Acura further delayed the NSX, I again flirted with the idea of buying a GTS and visited the salesman who sold me my daughter's C Class. Over the past few months, we exchanged a few e-mails and text messages, as I continued to wait for the NSX. He knows what color scheme I prefer and, two days ago, he received a GTS nearly identical to what I would have ordered. Over the past two days, this Mercedes salesman has reached out to me several times in an effort to sell me his GTS. In response, I reiterated my intent to wait for the NSX. Today, the Mercedes salesman texted this to me:

IMG_5132_zpsintqrtro.jpg

This guy is a complete tool and, if I ever purchase another Mercedes, it certainly will not be from him. Even my wife -- who is a long time Mercedes patron -- was blown away.

I cannot wait to hear someone call me over the PA system: "Will the owner of the Acura please move your car." With pleasure!

Wow. What an ass. That's not how you sell cars to.....well, anyone.

poor choice by a salesman, but I have heard those sentiments expressed over and over regarding the rest of the Acura line (MDX, RDX, RLX etc, etc) and I do feel they have something of a point.

6/10, please screen shot aka "Prt Sc"

Goodluck on your purchase, but I actually prefer the GTS based on performance alone from what I've seen.

On principle I would never buy from him.

After five gt-rs, it was with pride that if people asked me what I drive, I'd say a Nissan.

To me, the anti snobbery factor is one of the greatest pull factors of the brands mentioned.

This just smacks of a desperate salesman grasping to make his commission.

The truth is the vast majority of people buying high end cars (and especially so with Mercedes) think that way - they are paying extra for prestige and exclusivity and really couldn't give a rat's ass about the technology that makes their car "better". In fact, even if it wasn't better they probably still wouldn't care!
Anyone seriously considering the NSX at the anticipated price range is truly a unique car enthusiast. And while I'm not a Mercedes fan, I do appreciate their cars and that GTS really is the best car in its price range "at the moment"!

"At the end of the game, the Pawn & King go back in the same box"

I have an associate at work who wouldn't buy a Corvette because you have to bring it to a Chevy dealer for "service". He's correct in his analysis that at the "premium brands", you're treated better, wash the car, loaner, coffee, bagels, etc. You pay for all that. An oil change at a "premium brand" is usually around $150 here. The way I figure it, it's $50 for the daily rental, $25 for the hand wash, and $75 for the actual oil change. BTW, he's been buying Porsche's instead. I'm a car snob too, my toys are a Honda and a Ford, and I couldn't be happier!!!

My daughter drives a C Class. Is her lauded Mercedes generally perceived as superior to an NSX or ZO6? I think not.

My Mercedes salesman confirmed that he sells a dozen C Classes for every S Class sold. Thus, the "average" Mercedes driver is not a wildly affluent person, aka "rich folk." Rather, the average Mercedes owner spent approximately $40,000 on his ride. Such an expenditure is by no means inconsequential and requires financial resources beyond that of an average Kia owner. On the other hand, it ain't reflective of the "prestige and esteem" that Mercedes seeks to project. The service area of a Mercedes dealer is a socio-economic melting pot.

On the other hand, there is a meaningful difference in the average/general quality of the staff at a premium brand dealership, as compared to a lessor brand. When shopping for my daughter's car, I was consistently surprised by the poor quality of the staff I encountered at several non-premium dealerships.

That's a shame,
While your car dealer is a complete douche bag, I agree with the fact of bringing an nsx to a Acura dealer these days is risky. Most mechanics these days at a dealership have never even seen the car, act like its the 2016 model, and treat it like a TLX. But I will say this, my 91 nsx and my 2010 mdx have brought me a low cost and an absolute hassle free ownership for multiple years. My BMW, a far cry from that. I bring my BMW in for service and yes, I get treated like a celebrity, then I turn my wallet upside down and shake it until they are satisfied. Then they shake my credit cards after that....

My Mercedes salesman confirmed that he sells a dozen C Classes for every S Class sold. Thus, the "average" Mercedes driver is not a wildly affluent person, aka "rich folk." Rather, the average Mercedes owner spent approximately $40,000 on his ride. Such an expenditure is by no means inconsequential and requires financial resources beyond that of an average Kia owner. On the other hand, it ain't reflective of the "prestige and esteem" that Mercedes seeks to project. The service area of a Mercedes dealer is a socio-economic melting pot.

The "class gap" amongst Mercedes & BMW buyers has closed soooo much since 20+ years ago that it makes the salesman's argument even more hilarious and so very out of touch with what's walking into dealerships nowadays. :) This may sound silly but I'm still absolutely fascinated how obtainable a BMW and Mercedes are now versus when I was a kid and only doctors drove Mercedes. Then quality increases after the 1990's to where cars had lots of life left after 48 months, and with companies scrambling for ways to increase the bottom line and satisfy shareholders after the internet bubble (and with execs becoming more short-sighted than ever before in history - see: housing/financial crisis and bank failures), pre-owned near-new luxury car programs w/warrantees were born. Now 23-year-old hair stylists and liberal arts school graduates buy 4 year old CPO BMW's like it's nothing. This accessibility for young enthusiasts is really great on one hand, but if a motivator for many luxo-sportscar buyers is exclusivity & prestige, I often wonder how (or even if) those makers wrestle with balancing selling to the "common" entry-level end (with some benefit to hopefully gain repeat buyers of course) vs. maintaining that prestige and ability to attract esteemed customers who don't blink an eye at $50k of depreciation between trade-ins every 24 months while $40k Nissans offer 95% of the same features, performance, and comfort & amenities. Maybe selling prestige and esteem isn't as big a driver as I imagine, but the aura & mystique of a German luxo-sportscar is absolutely gone IMHO. I'm not a showy brand-label kind of guy but I kind of miss that, for whatever reason.

You pay for all that. An oil change at a "premium brand" is usually around $150 here. The way I figure it, it's $50 for the daily rental, $25 for the hand wash, and $75 for the actual oil change.

Wonder if high $$ oil changes vary by the type of car you're bringing in? Right after buying my NSX I needed a change and I took it to Bobby Rahal Mercedes since it looked so sparkly clean & well-managed instead of the dingy/dark looking Acura dealership right next door. Super comfortable waiting area, free starbucks and cookies, the mechanics wore gloves and lay down floor mats and & seat covers before taking it in (no oil smell/dirt on the wheel for once and not even a hint of a risk of bolster rubbing), and every salesman & mechanic walking thru the drop off area loved seeing an NSX and were great to talk with. No sentiments remotely near the OP's funny experience, and I often feel like I'm not the only one thinking mine's the best looking car on the HD monitor of the working bays in the waiting area. $25-30 labor on top of the $30 of oil & filter I bring, for great service in comfort. Haven't been to a drive-thru oil change in forever but I thought I recall synthetic changes being around $60 there? I always ask if there's any chance of the owner stopping by before making an appointment. Has to happen one day. :)

Last edited:
On the rare occasion that I brought my GT-R to the Nissan dealer for service (it had very few problems), I was treated like a rock star . . . very personal service from both the reps and the designated and specially trained mechanics. I suspect Acura dealers will likewise treat new NSX owners with a certain amount of deference.

With the NSX, my concern is that there will be so few on the road that the specially trained mechanics (participating dealerships must send their designated mechanic(s) for specialized factory training) will have very, very little hands on experience. The first year cars will inevitably serve as guinea pigs for all involved.

Last edited:
That's a shame,
While your car dealer is a complete douche bag, I agree with the fact of bringing an nsx to a Acura dealer these days is risky. Most mechanics these days at a dealership have never even seen the car, act like its the 2016 model, and treat it like a TLX. But I will say this, my 91 nsx and my 2010 mdx have brought me a low cost and an absolute hassle free ownership for multiple years. My BMW, a far cry from that. I bring my BMW in for service and yes, I get treated like a celebrity, then I turn my wallet upside down and shake it until they are satisfied. Then they shake my credit cards after that....
I get no such treatment when I bring my 650IX in for service, as it's included in the purchase price of the car. I love getting no charge for complete service, and "celebrity treatment". My Ford isn't serviced at the dealer, and when I bring the NSX to Larry B, he treats me like a friend!!!

With the NSX, my concern is that there will be so few on the road that the specially trained mechanics (participating dealerships must send their designated mechanic(s) for specialized factory training) will have very, very little hands on experience. The first year cars will inevitably serve as guinea pigs for all involved.

With modern cars being so laden with computers & sensors, electronics, and hybrid technology, I wonder if the gap between the 2016 NSX and other Acuras will be as big as it was in 1990?

- - - Updated - - -

This guy is a complete tool and, if I ever purchase another Mercedes, it certainly will not be from him. Even my wife -- who is a long time Mercedes patron -- was blown away.

I cannot wait to hear someone call me over the PA system: "Will the owner of the Acura please move your car." With pleasure!

At the risk of sounding unethical, I'd sure like to read the rest of his email if it's full of other blowhard generalizations, lol.

And maybe with a few software changes, your future Acura will be able to move itself or via assistance with a phone app. :)

When one spends over a certain amount of money to acquire a car , he / she does it for one of two reasons:

1. To impress others with your ability to spend a certain amount on a luxury item. One cannot impress oneself by spending.
or
2. To acquire a car that impresses him/her with it's ability and qualities OTHER THAN JUST IT'S PRICE.

If you are a true car enthusiast you would focus on number 2, as would most of us I am certain.

I have had two NSX's , two GTR's, three S2000's, 300ZX TT and the Supra TT, among other quality Japanese cars.
Bought each of these because I was impressed with the cars and not because the neighbors would be impressed.

Awaiting the next NSX ... whether or not the neighbors are...

...hoping the Lexus LF-LC is as good as it looks....hoping that HONDA does bring back the S2000 in some form...happy that the Miata is such a gem, irrespective of it's price....

Just ask that DB what a 1996 SL600 sold for in 1996, about 120K, probably their flagship sports car back then. My 1996 NSX sticker was 89K, Acura's flagship sports car in 1996. Ask him what that same SL600 is worth today, about 20K if you are lucky, my NSX about 40K! That should shut that bastard up! That being said, the SL600 of that era are still pretty bad ass looking and would love to have one!

This is a big tangent, but I've met some 02+ owners who believed or seem to find themselves to be better than 91 style or early NSX owners. Simply because they paid $20-$30K more for theirs? Hmm...

I get no such treatment when I bring my 650IX in for service, as it's included in the purchase price of the car. I love getting no charge for complete service, and "celebrity treatment". My Ford isn't serviced at the dealer, and when I bring the NSX to Larry B, he treats me like a friend!!!
That's awesome. I only read here how good Larry is. Your lucky. But I do have Mr. Huntley close by.
He takes care of my ride now. Just wish the wait was less. But it's all good, I have other cars.
When I first bought my car I did the dealership thing and oh man, what a mistake!

This puts new light on the fact that many people carry mb/bmw keys in the hand no matter where they go. Alright alright I know you drive benz. Do I care? No. Poor souls.

Last edited:
I think Europe has a different view on this, in Germany the vast majority of taxis are Mercedes. As a result they've hugely cheapened the reputation of the brand. Audi, BMW and Mercedes really are common here.

This is a big tangent, but I've met some 02+ owners who believed or seem to find themselves to be better than 91 style or early NSX owners. Simply because they paid $20-$30K more for theirs? Hmm...
Wait until you meet Zanardi owner.

Back