• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Primers! Which car would you choose?

Hi all.

Long time lurker, finally registered as I'm getting serious about finally snagging a NSX.

I'm a long time Integra Type R owner (1997 #262 w/only 50K on the clock!) and I can't bring myself to buy anything else but another Honda.

I've been looking at S2Ks for while but the NSX just seems like a car I would keep forever.

My focus has been to find a early model coupe that has the raw feel similar to my ITR. In order to keep the car looking updated I would like to have/perform a 02+ exterior conversion at some point.

Currently I'm looking at 2 vehicles.

1. 1991 w/60K miles.

2. 1992 w/160K miles AND 02+ front end conversion.

Both cars are black, clean title and not in snap ring range. Both have identical asking prices. But I suspect I can get the higher mileage car for a few thousand less.

Given the reliability of these cars, if the higher mileage car has maintenance history should I even worry about the extra 100K mileage?

The car will be driven frequently to work/dinner etc. along with a few HPDEs each year..

What do the primers think?

Hi all.

Long time lurker, finally registered as I'm getting serious about finally snagging a NSX.

I'm a long time Integra Type R owner (1997 #262 w/only 50K on the clock!) and I can't bring myself to buy anything else but another Honda.

I've been looking at S2Ks for while but the NSX just seems like a car I would keep forever.

My focus has been to find a early model coupe that has the raw feel similar to my ITR. In order to keep the car looking updated I would like to have/perform a 02+ exterior conversion at some point.

Currently I'm looking at 2 vehicles.

1. 1991 w/60K miles.

2. 1992 w/160K miles AND 02+ front end conversion.

Both cars are black, clean title and not in snap ring range. Both have identical asking prices. But I suspect I can get the higher mileage car for a few thousand less.

Given the reliability of these cars, if the higher mileage car has maintenance history should I even worry about the extra 100K mileage?

The car will be driven frequently to work/dinner etc. along with a few HPDEs each year..

What do the primers think?

Not enough information. Is the 02 front end conversion using all OEM parts or aftermarket? Do you get the stock parts that were removed from the 92 conversion car? Is it a full 02 conversion with the side skirts and door inserts, and rear valence? Just based off what you provided though I'd take the 91 with 60K miles. It will be much easier to sell a low miles 91 than a really high miles 92 even with an 02 front end conversion. I would have to see and know a lot more on the 92 before I'd choose that.

High mileage dont mean Shizznit... its not an Integra that blows the motor after 90K.

I friend of mine just purchased a 92 with 250K it runs like it was new. original motor etc. the car looks like it came from a showroom floor in a time warp to present.

dont be scared, I look at these low price cars as " if it can drive me home when I buy it I made a great purchase. if it breaks down in my driveway then I can fix it.
I bring all NSX's I purchase if in poor condition back to MINT. thats the fun of it.

get your self a higher mile NSX for around 18-23K put some cash into it making it mint again and drive the hell out it.
the garage queen NSX's are junk.

flame suit not needed I can take a little heat.

Not enough information. Is the 02 front end conversion using all OEM parts or aftermarket? Do you get the stock parts that were removed from the 92 conversion car? Is it a full 02 conversion with the side skirts and door inserts, and rear valence? Just based off what you provided though I'd take the 91 with 60K miles. It will be much easier to sell a low miles 91 than a really high miles 92 even with an 02 front end conversion. I would have to see and know a lot more on the 92 before I'd choose that.

Here's the list of parts for the conversion:

+02 oem factory headlight with factory Honda h.i.d.

+02 oem factory tail lights with center Acura emblem

+02 downforce front bumper

+02 downforce front lip spoiler

+02 down force headlight brackets

+02 factory bumper support seals [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]gaskets[/FONT][/FONT]

Downforce nsxr rear spoiler

Vis carbon fiber nsxr hood

Wings west side skirts

I'm trying to confirm if the timing belt has been done. That will be another big decision maker.

I think I would look at service history over anything else. While an 02 conversion isn't cheap, service isn't either. Both cars would be due for at least the 90k service for that, "bulletproof" piece of mind. Then I'd go the owner history etc. No reason to choose lower mileage one if its not the "overall" better car.

the garage queen NSX's are junk.
flame suit not needed I can take a little heat.

Here comes some heat... my 91 just turned 47k today... Maybe not quite a garage queen. I drive it, had it out today for Coffee and Cruise and plan to drive it to work (very, very rare occurrence) tomorrow.

I've never had anybody besides Shawn call it junk before....

Then again, my car is in "snap ring" range, so it's really not worth purchasing, so therefore I guess it does qualify as junk, even though it has a clean title, never wrecked. But that's okay, I'm not planning to sell and to me it's an awesome car I have no regrets purchasing.

But back on topic... if I were wanting to go with an older NSX coupe with an 02 conversion, then I would probably go with the one that already had it done. Normally you save money buying a car with modifications over the person who paid for the modifications. As long as the car passes a PPI.

Or if money isn't an object, then purchase the lower mileage car and have Shawn to the 02 conversion :biggrin:

I don't mind sending Shawn business. It wouldn't be the first time I've sent somebody his way.

Get the 91 with 60k miles. That way if you find out the nsx is not for you, it's probably easier to sell with everything stock and relatively low mileage. You can do the conversion later if you want.

the garage queen NSX's are junk

Lol....dude.......

Last edited:
Or if money isn't an object, then purchase the lower mileage car and have Shawn to the 02 conversion :biggrin:

I don't mind sending Shawn business. It wouldn't be the first time I've sent somebody his way.

Shawn where are you located? I thought I remember you were in FL somewhere.. The lower mileage car just happens to be in FL. Let's make a deal! :biggrin:

Maybe I can trade you my 97 ITR in exchange for all the work... but naw the engine probably only has 40K left on it.:tongue:

Whatever car I get.. it WILL be driven. I got a ton of flack when I picked up my ITR with 29 miles and the window sticker in it in 2003. Thing was a time capsule. Within a week I had it at autox... pretty sure I'm going to collector car hell. :eek:

On a more serious note: is there any issue with the aluminum chassis/suspension components of higher mileage cars? Al is not exactly none for it's unlimited fatigue life..

Last edited:
Get the 1991 w/60K miles. You can always do the conversion later to your build expectations.

If the 92 is the black one I have seen that's a pretty nice looking NSX. That could be a car that you just buy and drive and no need for further mods or you could buy the 91 and keep it stock or mod it your way.

Either way you end up with an NSX......its a win/win

If it were me, I wouldn't pay any extra for the '02 conversion. But that's just me, I seem to be one of the only primers who doesn't like the bugeye front end. Maybe I just developed an affinity for popups through my Miata ownership.

On a more serious note: is there any issue with the aluminum chassis/suspension components of higher mileage cars? Al is not exactly none for it's unlimited fatigue life..

IIRC that's one of the reasons for the compliance pivot. Takes some of the stress off of the suspension components.

Why limit yourself to only two options ? There are more cars for sale out there

Pop-ups rule and so do lower miles on engines/trans/body despite what Shawn says :biggrin:

though you can drive an NSX a dozen times around the planet before its considered broken-in

Keep the ITR either way

I like the idea of purchasing the '91 and doing the '02 conversion later if you still have the itch. I'm a fan of originality. Keep in mind the '02 conversion isn't cheap and really doesn't add value to the car. At the end of the day, a 91/92 with an '02 front end is still a 91/92.

The ITR and NSX is a hell of a pairing. Personally, I would go with the 91 unless you really love the 02 front. It's a matter of preference either way.

its not an Integra that blows the motor after 90K.

What?

I agree... go with the lower mileage. That gives you 100k more enjoyment!

Why buy a fake 2002 when you can buy an original 91 with lower mileage?
It's an easy decision if you decide that you are an original and not a copycat :)

No offense to anybody on here. But I always thought the 02 conversions look odd on the coupes, especially if it's a black top. Unless you're going for that NSX-R GPW look.

If the 92 is the black one I have seen that's a pretty nice looking NSX. That could be a car that you just buy and drive and no need for further mods or you could buy the 91 and keep it stock or mod it your way.

Either way you end up with an NSX......its a win/win

The 92 is in cali.. somewhere, still getting details from the owner. From the pictures I have seen it looks to be in excellent condition.

The 91 is here on prime:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/172390-1991-Black-Black-59-900-miles-30-000

Any of the previous owners on here? =O

- - - Updated - - -

If it were me, I wouldn't pay any extra for the '02 conversion. But that's just me, I seem to be one of the only primers who doesn't like the bugeye front end. Maybe I just developed an affinity for popups through my Miata ownership.

IIRC that's one of the reasons for the compliance pivot. Takes some of the stress off of the suspension components.

I'll have to do some more reading on the compliance pivot. At face value it seems to be a pretty solid concept. Keep your steering/suspension geo consistent throughout suspension travel. No idea about it reducing stresses though..

- - - Updated - - -

The ITR and NSX is a hell of a pairing. Personally, I would go with the 91 unless you really love the 02 front. It's a matter of preference either way.

What?

I'm with ya Steve. I have a bit of a confession to make though. Since the wife is involved in this purchase aesthetics become critical :eek:. I don't think she'll let me pay that much for a car with pop ups. We have a sprinter van that we use for travel/mountain biking. When we were looking at them, the dodge was ugly while the mercedes looked just fine :confused:. Identical vehicles, but the front end emblem is slightly diff.. Maybe I'll only drive the NSX during the day..:tongue:

As far as integras popping at 90K I think Shawn is messing with us. My ITR has been THE most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, and it hasn't exactly been a garage queen/commuter. It's seen it's fair share of track time.

Last edited:
60 and 160? That is a HUGE difference in mileage. I understand its an nsx and all but that's huge!

No offense to anybody on here. But I always thought the 02 conversions look odd on the coupes, especially if it's a black top. Unless you're going for that NSX-R GPW look.

No offense to you but I found what you said quit funny. Maybe you haven't seen an 2002+ black NSX :biggrin:. What's the difference between the two NSX below? They both are black, have a black roof, and both have 02+ front end except the first one is a '91 and the second is an actual 02+. So to answer your comment... I find 02 conversions on coupes with a black top not odd looking. But I know what you're trying to say :tongue:

nsx02conversion.jpg

33761454004_large.jpg

yeah i was just messing about 90K miles on an Integra LOL I have seen it though.

as for the pics I like the first one better maybe its the missing front marker light or the emblem.

if I did this to my 92 all I would need it the front bumper and light and rims, I have everything else done.

Back