• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prometheus (possible spoilers)

I don't think that's been revealed yet. This is all I've read on the subject thus far.

Thanks!

This is such an interesting movie I wouldn't mind watching it again.

The last "engineer" reminded me of this ancient Mayan carving:

Pakal’s tomb has been the focus of attention of some "ancient astronaut" enthusiasts since its appearance in Erich von Däniken's 1968 best seller, Chariots of the Gods?. Von Däniken reproduced a drawing of the sarcophagus lid (incorrectly labeling it as being from "Copan") and comparing Pacal's pose to that of 1960s Project Mercury astronauts, interpreting drawings underneath him as rockets, and offering it as evidence of a supposed extraterrestrial influence on the ancient Maya.

In the center of that frame is a man sitting, bending forward. He has a mask on his nose, he uses his two hands to manipulate some controls, and the heel of his left foot is on a kind of pedal with different adjustments. The rear portion is separated from him; he is sitting on a complicated chair, and outside of this whole frame, you see a little flame like an exhaust.

Attachments

• Ancient_astronaut.jpg
    Ancient_astronaut.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 66
The last "engineer" reminded me of this ancient Mayan carving:

Pakal’s tomb has been the focus of attention of some "ancient astronaut" enthusiasts since its appearance in Erich von Däniken's 1968 best seller, Chariots of the Gods?. Von Däniken reproduced a drawing of the sarcophagus lid (incorrectly labeling it as being from "Copan") and comparing Pacal's pose to that of 1960s Project Mercury astronauts, interpreting drawings underneath him as rockets, and offering it as evidence of a supposed extraterrestrial influence on the ancient Maya.

In the center of that frame is a man sitting, bending forward. He has a mask on his nose, he uses his two hands to manipulate some controls, and the heel of his left foot is on a kind of pedal with different adjustments. The rear portion is separated from him; he is sitting on a complicated chair, and outside of this whole frame, you see a little flame like an exhaust.

Pretty wild stuff...I usually don't watch UFO conspiracy theory shows on the History Channel, but I may have to start lol.

I definitely think a directors cut is needed. Plus watching it a 2nd time through I would think we would pick up on things we might have missed the 1st time.

Pretty wild stuff...I usually don't watch UFO conspiracy theory shows on the History Channel, but I may have to start lol.

The 3 stars from constellation "Orion" appeared in various ancient pyramid formation from totally different cultures in the past, and the most intriguing thing is it is also part of the NASA's logo ... truly wild stuff.

Attachments

• comarison-slide-of-three-orion-belt-pyramid-sites.jpg
    comarison-slide-of-three-orion-belt-pyramid-sites.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Pyramids-Orion-South-View.jpg
    Pyramids-Orion-South-View.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 20
  • pyrorionbeltstars.jpg
    pyrorionbeltstars.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 20
  • Orion_logo.jpg
    Orion_logo.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 18
If you watched Ancient Aliens on the History Channel many points touched in the movie, ancient civilizations with bast knowledge on stars, caves filled with drawings of outer world beings, the thirst of human kind to meet their makers and so on, would make more sense. My two cents.
Fer

Fast forward to 51 seconds. Looks very familiar but I could be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VJGL0g-nDo

It certainly looks like the same type of ship, but I do not believe it is the very same ship as in the one in the Prometheus movie though.

attachment.php

Attachments

• alien.jpg
    alien.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 183
If you watched Ancient Aliens on the History Channel many points touched in the movie, ancient civilizations with bast knowledge on stars, caves filled with drawings of outer world beings, the thirst of human kind to meet their makers and so on, would make more sense. My two cents.
Fer

Amazing and interesting stuff.

So who's seen it twice? Im going back Sat. I always pick up on little things I missed the first goaround.

I want to see it again! But I want to see Battleship first.

Battleship is also a nice movie, but definitely not as intense as Prometheus.

By the way, how was the 3D effect in this movie? Does it make you dizzy? I'm thinking of watching the 2nd time in 3D just to have some variation.

Battleship is also a nice movie, but definitely not as intense as Prometheus.

By the way, how was the 3D effect in this movie? Does it make you dizzy? I'm thinking of watching the 2nd time in 3D just to have some variation.

I'm not a huge fan of 3D (I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D and did not enjoy it as I sat to the side of the screen), but I did not mind it in Prometheus. Some of the special effects (star maps, etc.) are pretty cool in 3D, but it was not the main draw of the movie for me. See it if you like, but make sure you sit in or near the center of the screen. :)

I want to see it again! But I want to see Battleship first.

I can save you the ten bucks... battleship is a really bad movie, there are cliche' moments in that movie that are outright insulting to the viewer's intelligence... if you really wanna see it, turn your brain and expectations off and watch stuff blow up.

HIGHLIGHT to reveal (SPOILERS)
I just watched Prometheus in IMAX 3D. Definitely see it in 3D, some real geek eyecandy there and I think it complements the film well... especially the universe map scene. I agree that they didn't spend enough time on character identification and development so the sympathetic vibe wasn't nearly as strong as you might have felt with Ripley or other characters on the Nostromo in Alien. Some of the lesser characters were simply set dressing and disposable.

I thought the opening scene was really quite good although I can see how a viewer might miss the point. Then the first act of the movie is nearly a step-by-step replay of Alien, the approach (intentional vs locator beacon), wake em up, eat and chat, a much better landing, and then the scouting party goes exploring... and they find stuff. The similarities were amusing

I did enjoy the back and forth tensions between Shaw and David(android) , reminded me of Ripley and Ash... the actor that played David did very well

As for the question about the ending, those are different ships on different planets. The Derelict ship found in Alien was found on the planet LV-426 (aka Derelict-426). The ship in Prometheus takes off from and then crashes
on planet LV-223 (Derelict-223). (src: copied that from wikipedia)

Enjoy the film, its a good addition to the Alien universe
-

It certainly looks like the same type of ship, but I do not believe it is the very same ship as in the one in the Prometheus movie though.

attachment.php

I saw Prometheus in IMAX 3D and really enjoyed the movie. Being a fan of the Original Alien and Aliens it was great seeing this movie, it answers some questions from the original, but poses so many new ones. As for the Bone Ship from Alien and Aliens that was on LV426. Unsurvyed plant in Alien and then Terraformed in Aliens.

"SPOILER ALERT" Prometheus doesn't take place on LV426.

Last edited:
I watch the preview in the theater but the sound was so annoying on that preview that I was like THIS $HIT JUST SUCKS. I just dont think I want to see it at all.

AMAZING special effects (watched in IMAX 3D), best 3D movies I've seen ever....

But terrible plot imo. They had SOO much potential, but it just ended up going nowhere, answering no questions and the writers cheated their way out of loose end that they couldn't find a good answer to. It was like it started to get good several times, and you kept waiting for something amazing to happen, but it never did.

And then you thought it was over...but it wasn't...
then you thought it was over again...but no...
then you got hope that they were going somewhere with this--but then it was over for good.

Absolutely ridiculous writing/storyline imo.

But I definitely recommend seeing it no matter how bad the plot. You won't be disappointed. But you MUST watch in 3D. Imax 3D if you can. I cannot imagine how bad this movie would have been in 2D. So many special effects and 3D effects. Just incredible.

Questions/Spoilers:

Why did she want to go find the planet where these engineers are from and ask them why they created humans and then tried to kill them? These people just tried to kill you, and you want to go ask them why? good luck with that...

Was everyone on the ship suffering from stupidity? The writers didn't need to have their characters act like fools, they could have just made the aliens more aggressive or made it harder to escape. When the biologist went up to that reptile creature in the room with the vases, and played with it...wtf. cmon...That was just extremely manipulative and stupid.

Writers/editors totally blew it with "Hands up"

Last edited:
AMAZING special effects (watched in IMAX 3D), best 3D movies I've seen ever....

But terrible plot imo. They had SOO much potential, but it just ended up going nowhere, answering no questions and the writers cheated their way out of loose end that they couldn't find a good answer to. It was like it started to get good several times, and you kept waiting for something amazing to happen, but it never did.

And then you thought it was over...but it wasn't...
then you thought it was over again...but no...
then you got hope that they were going somewhere with this--but then it was over for good.

Absolutely ridiculous writing/storyline imo.

But I definitely recommend seeing it no matter how bad the plot. You won't be disappointed. But you MUST watch in 3D. Imax 3D if you can. I cannot imagine how bad this movie would have been in 2D. So many special effects and 3D effects. Just incredible.

Questions/Spoilers:

Why did she want to go find the planet where these engineers are from and ask them why they created humans and then tried to kill them? These people just tried to kill you, and you want to go ask them why? good luck with that...

Was everyone on the ship suffering from stupidity? The writers didn't need to have their characters act like fools, they could have just made the aliens more aggressive or made it harder to escape. When the biologist went up to that reptile creature in the room with the vases, and played with it...wtf. cmon...That was just extremely manipulative and stupid.

I think you hit the nail on the head, with respect to the believability of the characters, their motivations, and their actions. The thing about good movies (such as Alien, Aliens) is that each character has very clear motivations and acts according to them. It might be mysterious at first, but it is revealed as the story progresses. In this movie, there was just too much mysterious behavior that is not explained. It doesn't click and circle back around the way it should.

This an easy one. "Curiosity"!!!

yeap. lol it reminded me of those teenage horror movies.

'this looks very very very unsafe, but lets go bother it and play with it anyways since we are in an very unfamiliar environment and nobody else is around to back me up in case something happens....'

This an easy one. "Curiosity"!!!

SPOILERS

Curiosity is the ultimate answer, but to delve deeper: Her lover died in the pursuit of their life long search. Then she attempted to violently abort their freshly conceived, but infected child. Then her mutated, alien child tried to kill her and all of this in less than 24 hours. She had "nothing left to lose". She must know why. The events of the film and all of the sacrifices only motivate her even more. It's very much believable after the trauma she had incurred.

They definitely intended to film a sequel to answer the question and I have a feeling Scott and the writers already have an idea of "why" or "what". They did already answered it philosophically during the conversation between David and Holloway. But, to get more specific, notice how they said the outbreak incident occurred about 2000 years ago during the film's present 209X of Xmas day time frame? In an interview, Scott hints that some guy died on Earth trying to change humanity around the same time, and that's when things went wrong... Perhaps a bit too far-fetched, but then again, isn't the whole premise of Aliens, with acid blood that destroys pretty much everything? He didn't want to outright say in the movie, but it is strongly emphasized with many clues.

I agree that there was not enough character development for most of the crew and there was some strange dialogue in the script. Only David and Vickers received enough attention, but I think the writing for Vickers was slightly flawed in one aspect and there wasn't enough development for the "couple" to care too much when one of them died. Blame it on the supposed "20 minute cut?" to appeal to a larger audience.

I just watched the first one again after watching Prometheus and it was so boring after they found the Space Jockey that I fell asleep. There was too much character development and I really didn't care for anyone's background on this mineral cargo ship. I found the dynamics of Prometheus more interesting than the first one, but Aliens was much better also IMO. The first two arose during a time when sci-fi movies were not mainstream and so they were very ground breaking at the time.

Back