• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospeed Prestige F1 Exhaust System for NSX

PROSPEED PRESTIGE F1 EXHAUST SYSTEM

Hi Guys,

I've been wanting to build an F1 sounding exhaust system for our NSX since I first got my car. There's nothing like that aggressive exotic sound that comes from a properly tuned exhaust. I don't know about you guys but when I hear a Ferrari or Lamborghini the exhaust note really gets my blood pumping! I know getting that F1 sound is a far fetch goal but if I can get close I will be happy!

I know there are many options out there but if there is interest I'm willing to build it. We plan to offer two versions of the exhaust. We will have a standard dual muffler set up and one with dual Burns Stainless mufflers. I wanted to see if there is interest in this and it will be priced well. If there is enough interest I will build it and offer it to the community.

We plan to use only the finest materials. Full stainless CNC flanges and pipes. We can offer fully polished, brushed, or Ceramic coated. We plan to offer a standard 3.50" tips. We will be designing this system to be light weight, produces horsepower and exotic sound.

Application:
All NSX 90-05

I already started on the design and should have a system up and running within the next month.

If you guys have suggestions or ideas please feel free to post them up.

Thanks everyone!

Brian

Re: PROSPEED PRESTIGE F1 Exhaust System for NSX!!

If you could design one that doesn't drone that would be great. There is a good thread on a 370z forum showing how to do this. Basically it has two extra pipes about 28inches long. They are just before the exhaust tips. These cancel the drone frequency. I will link to it when I can find it.

It might add a few pounds but it would be worth it.

Last edited:

I've long given up on F1 sound from a 6 cylinder. I just can't see a design out there that will compare to the exotic 8/10 cylinder engines.:frown:

I've long given up on F1 sound from a 6 cylinder. I just can't see a design out there that will compare to the exotic 8/10 cylinder engines.:frown:

I know what you mean. Just by design it's next to near impossible but if we can even capture a little bit of that exotic sound I think it will be a success! Aim for the stars and we might hit the moon. :biggrin:

If you could design one that doesn't drone that would be great. There is a good thread on a 370z forum showing how to do this. Basically it has two extra pipes about 28inches long. They are just before the exhaust tips. These cancel the drone frequency. I will link to it when I can find it.

It might add a few pounds but it would be worth it.

I know what you're talking about. They are known as helmholtz branch resonators. The oem S2000 piping has that built in to the factory exhaust system. It does a good job of eliminating the drone. Great idea and will consider it after testing out how much drone if any is in our new design. Thanks!

Re: PROSPEED PRESTIGE F1 Exhaust System for NSX

Hope you achieve this. The "other" exhaust sound more throaty than that "F1" sound. The 5.1 style (Bel Canto) are the only ones that sound somewhat high pitched.

Re: PROSPEED PRESTIGE F1 Exhaust System for NSX

good thing you are planning on using real mufflers.

I dont think off the shelf mufflers will get you to the moon.
At best you might get the same sound as the other current "F1 sound" offerings. And they are growing plenty.

If you got the R&D budget for it, get a used Ferrari 360 Capristo lvl 3, retrofit it to an NSX (some guy already did this with a standard 360 exhaust) if it howls, cut it up and find out where the magic is. Duplicate. :)

I don't think that thread had any explanation of the 28" in it unless I missed it. Anyways, their car has a different chassis and interior volume than the NSX, so the calculated length will be different. FYI - ours will be ~36" (are you surprised the NSX's is bigger than the 370's)? The attenuation range of a 1/4 wave resonator is very narrow, so you want to know the drone frequency as accurately as possible. A few inches in the resonator length will make a big difference on cancelling it out or not.

Posts 2 and 9 of this thread show you how to determine what the drone frequency is, and the math involved to cancel it out:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134710

Good luck with your project!

Dave

Last edited:
I don't think that thread had any explanation of the 28" in it unless I missed it. Anyways, their car has a different chassis and interior volume than the NSX, so the calculated length will be different. FYI - ours will be ~36" (are you surprised the NSX's is bigger than the 370's)? The attenuation range of a 1/4 wave resonator is very narrow, so you want to know the drone frequency as accurately as possible. A few inches in the resonator length will make a big difference on cancelling it out or not.

Posts 2 and 9 of this thread show you how to determine what the drone frequency is, and the math involved to cancel it out:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134710

Good luck with your project!

Dave

I was doing more reading on this over the weekend. One set-up had the pipe like a trombone so you could slide it easily and adjust it to where it canceled out the drone.

I think that's what RYU is doing on his to narrow down his length.

PROSPEED - Have you considered making your system out of aluminum? If you use appropriate SS flex sections and then some v-band clamps to the AL piping, aluminum works pretty well.

My 1/4 wave resonator is aluminum.

Dave

I think that's what RYU is doing on his to narrow down his length.

PROSPEED - Have you considered making your system out of aluminum? If you use appropriate SS flex sections and then some v-band clamps to the AL piping, aluminum works pretty well.

My 1/4 wave resonator is aluminum.

Dave
Dave, I can't wait to see your latest version in action. Your version should get these guys thinking the right way about a proper approach to exhaust tuning. For me...I'm still sourcing a suitable vacuum bypass valve and it's been illusive. I may just settle for an electric unit like yours since my first, I mean second, attempt was a fail again.

NetViper - in theory the trombone design should work for tuning purposes but once you find the magic length you're better off cutting it off and welding a proper fixed pipe on there.

Back