• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Protecting paint on a long road trip

Re: Question for primers

The spray-on stuff I have seen is clear/opaque,and water soluable therefore usless in the rain.It won't protect against rocks or chips,but it is useful against bugs/sap/and small particulates.

Not sure if they used the duplicolor, but when i used it, the duplicolor needed agitation and soap in order to get it to come off.

Blue painters tape!! Also.. get a good bug remover such as Poorboys Bug Squash, or even turtle wax makes one for OTC. And get a few rags. Don't let the bugs cake on, as the guts can etch the clear coat, and be semi-permanant damage

If you are using a bra, you might have to buy a $10 part at the dealer so it snaps into the wheel well cover. Most dealers don't stock it, so you will have to order it.

I have a used on for sale. Much cheaper than new. Please PM me if your interested. I can also buy that part at the dealer for you if you would like.

You can put this on your car.

Easy app, it'll come right off, no residue, no marks, no nothing.

Just like on brand new cars that get hauled across the country...but waaaayyy cheaper than putting bras on all of 'em :biggrin:

Attachments

• transportwrap.jpg
    transportwrap.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 178
As a professional detialer of high end cars as well as cars that see the track alot the only type of protection I would consider would be a clear bras, don't get a regular vinyl bras that can rub the paint or spray on some goo that doesn't work and comes off a week or two later.... get a clear bras.

If you don't have the time or money to get the clear bras installed, then I would suggest some 3M Blue Painters tape and just tape it off for the trip then take it off once you get there.

I have many clients that track there GT-R, Ferrari's, Porsche's and other such vehicles and these are the only two protections they use, Clear Bras or Painter's Tape.

The meet you're going to is put together by one of my clients, his name is Peter, he has the white 1000HP Supra that I take care of along with a few of his high HP buddies.

Josh

1. Go to your local hardware store
2. Pick up some 3" blue 3M painters tape for $5 or so
3. Apply to all the areas you're concerned about
4. Drive with no concerns
5. Remove when you have arrived
6. Repeat steps 1-5 prior to returning home

Its cheap, fast to apply, you control what is exposed and what isn't, easy to remove, and it looks like you are either going to/coming back from a track event.

P.S. Use buddy tabs (fold one of the ends over on itself) if you are really concerned about being able to remove it.

3M Painters tape is extremely durable.. it's the only thing I and every other detailer use when protecting areas from getting hit by a foam pad going 1800rpm. It will take a beating, and still hold up fine. And it's REALLY easy to remove. Make sure to buy yourself some adhesive remover as well (comes in a can like turpentine [but don't get that stuff ;) ]). Some adhesive will stay on the paint, but comes off relatively easy with water and a rag, and extremely easy with adhesive remover and a rag.

I think the most cost-effective way is blue painters tape. But for the long run, a clear bra for sure. I opted out TWICE to not get clear bra done on my personal car, and I regret it every day.

I've used the the 3m painter tape, the blue color for a few track days with great success.:wink:

3 mil clear vinly (clear bra material)
I use it all the time you can even leave it there to protect your paint on a daily basis. You'll never notice its there when applied. I can get rolls of this stuff for cheap.

Im going to drive my nsx to TX in the middle of march. TX2K9 its a supras meet, about 1200 miles one way, what kind of tapes can i use to tape my front bumper mirrors ect..? I was going to use 2" elec. tape that i can get them online, its black and it matchs my car better:smile:. Im not sure about using unmatch tape that kind of look funny on the car. Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks Primers in advance

I like te elec. tape alot. First use the painters tape (for easy removal) and then apply the blk elec tape over ihe painter's tape for looks. The vinal elec tape will protect well, while the painter's tape will come off easly.

They make temporary clear bra (a lot of racers/drifters use it) -- it isn't as stealth as a 3M/ventureshield installation, but it's a lot cheaper and can be easily applied/removed. I heard about this through my friend who actually does regular clearbra installation; he was thinking about getting a booth at racing events to do the aforementioned temp film. I'll get more info and post it...

Back