• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Put my baby away for winter. Did I miss anything important ?

I put my '05 Silverstone away for winter yesterday. I did the following;

1) Filled the gas tank and added Stabil
2) Put 40 psi in all 4 tires
3) Put Bounce dryer sheets in interior, trunk, engine bay, and under the hood.
4) Placed car battery on battery tender
5) Washed car and cleaned interior
6) Covered car with SOS cover
7) Placed hvac on recirc mode
8) Locked car
9) Stuffed rags in exhaust openings

I did not change the oil. It was changed about 6 months/1000 miles ago. I realize everyone has their own way of doing things. I was wondering if I left out anything important. Can't wait for spring.

is it in neutral or in gear?...parking brake?

Did you kiss it goodnight?

:wink:

Sounds like you did all the good stuff.... I probably would have also put a heavy coating leather conditioner on it so it soaks in really good over the winter. but that's just me..

I think Stabil was a little much depending on how long your going to have it in storage, but yeah I would say you covered all your basis.

During a cold winter storage applying a coat of Shin-Etsu or silicone grease to all the rubber seals keeps them pliable and putting 1#to 2# bags of desiccant in the interior, trunk and engine bay keeps moisture to a minimum.

take off the e brake...don't need it.

it is the BEST if you start it up once a week until fully warm and fans come on

sorry, this is a bad idea.

Everywhere you read, they will tell you NOT to start the car intermittently.
When you start a car for a short period of time, blow-by gases (via PCV) are heavy and fill the heads, valve covers with golden coloured soot that you can see all over the valve train.
Leave it alone until spring, it wont rust :)

my tip: in addition to pumping up the tires to 45 psi, I actually rotate the fronts 90 degrees every 4wks. For rears, obviously you'll have to take off and physically rebolt 90 degrees.

Last edited:
sorry, this is a bad idea.

Everywhere you read, they will tell you NOT to start the car intermittently.
When you start a car for a short period of time, blow-by gases (via PCV) are heavy and fill the heads, valve covers with golden coloured soot that you can see all over the valve train.
Leave it alone until spring, it wont rust :)

my tip: in addition to pumping up the tires to 45 psi, I actually rotate the fronts 90 degrees every 4wks. For rears, obviously you'll have to take off and physically rebolt 90 degrees.

^ This.

everywhere you read where???that blow by gases will fill the heads and others if you don't let it come up to the temp and run it for short period of time,if possible, get someone to start the car every two weeks and drive it for about 15 minutes. Driving the car periodically has two benefits. It will maintain the battery's charge, help the car "stretch its legs" and keep the engine and other components properly lubricated. It is also a good idea to run the air-conditioner to keep the parts in working order and the air quality fresh.Jay Leno does it to all of his 300 + cars....

Ric,

The dyer sheets are to deter mice and other rodents from attempting to enter or nest within parts of the vehicle. One of my colleagues at work taught me this trick. It smells a whole lot better than moth balls.

i may have to do this!

Ric,

The dyer sheets are to deter mice and other rodents from attempting to enter or nest within parts of the vehicle. One of my colleagues at work taught me this trick. It smells a whole lot better than moth balls.

Maybe also lower the windows a touch and also keep the latches of the T open.

It will maintain the battery's charge, help the car "stretch its legs" and keep the engine and other components properly lubricated.

By definition, starting the car in order to lubricate it means it is being started without lubrication. This is obviously not ideal.
Here is an SAE International paper documenting the facts. However, the abstract gives you all you need to know.

"Studies in laboratory engines equipped with radioactive piston rings show that wear is highest during a cold startup."

Lucas

one thing you didn't do is put mothballs around the car it keeps mice etc. from jumping up in the car and making a nice warm home this winter.

they love the air-intake and the front and rear bumper beams, and their favorite is inside the rear quarters trust me cars I fix have abandoned homes built in these areas

they like to nibble on wires also.

some people park on carpeted mats as well (not 100% sure of the reasoning) something about the tires drying out if sitting on concrete (not sure if its hearsay)

- - - Updated - - -

guys be sure to check out this thread as well.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/177523-Winter-Storage-Tips

I did not mention it in my original post, but I did put a cup of mothballs under both the front and rear of the car. What exactly did you mean when you wrote all around the car?I certainly do not want mice moving in. By the way , I also took the dead body out of the trunk.

Back