• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about the Certificat of Title (pink slip) HELP!

I recently sold my vehicle and just received the title from the lienholder (bank). I know I have to fill out the top part (notice of release of liability) and mail it to the DMV.

However, the certificate of title itself says "I certify under penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of CA, that the signature(s) below releases interest in the vehicle." And then there are two lines underneath labeled "1a." and "1b." requiring signatures.

Question is do I sign "1a." since, technically, I'm still the owner of the vehicle until the full transfer of ownership is complete? Or do I leave that part to the new owners to sign? :confused:

I just don't want to send it to the new owner only to have him send it back to me for my signature.

Please help. Thanks.

I don't know about California, but in other states there's clearly a "sellers" section to fill out and sign. It sounds like that you should sign the 1a section, unless the bank has already stamped that part. Also, don't forget to correctly fill out the mileage statement, otherwise the car may get branded as "TMU", and that would not be good.

Question is do I sign "1a." since, technically, I'm still the owner of the vehicle until the full transfer of ownership is complete

Is there some convoluted method of transfer that you are not describing here? You transferring less than "full ownership"?

If not:your signature IS how you transfer ownership. Without your signature the buyer cannot register the car in their name.

The 1a vs 1b thing is for joint ownership---like spouses or something. Legal Owner vs Registered Owner comes into play here too.

Drew

drew said:
Is there some convoluted method of transfer that you are not describing here? You transferring less than "full ownership"?

No. What I meant by that is that I have the title, they have the car. Money was exchanged and giving the new owner the title in my hands completes the "full" ownership/transfer. I've already sent the Notice of Release of Liability electronically to the DMV 2 days after the actual sale.
I'm just getting confused on this last part whether I sign it or not. I guess from what you're saying is, I shouldn't.

(Extract/clarified)

Your signature [on line 1a] IS how you transfer ownership.

Without your signature the buyer cannot register the car in their name.

Drew

Back