• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question for PUREVIL or anyone w/ suspension mods:

Hi! I saw some pictures of your gorgious black NSX in the picture gallery and wondered what suspension mods you have on the car? I think it's perfect as far as the it looks (not too low). Does it handle as good as it looks? Any suggestion is appreciated!

Charles

Hey thanks BerkeleyBruin for the comments.

Well I have Neuspeed Sport springs on my car. The drop says 1.5 but after it settled it seems more like 1.8 inches. It rides a little stiffer than stock, but not to harsh. Otherwise my suspension is stock. I want to get coilovers next and some sway bars. Hope that helps.

Purevil,
I like your Manarays on your NSX. Do they still make them? Also, Do you experience extreme tire wear? What is you size rims? Did you keep the factory shocks?

Hey Purevil you really should get those sway bars. I just had the Comptech ones installed on my car, and BOY what a difference. I run the stock suspension with the sway bars on the middle settings. The car corners MUCH flatter now, without compromising the ride quality. Although it does transmit a little more of the road. (Probably due to the polyurethane bushings..)
Well worth the 300 dollars it costs!!!

Tyus

I don't know if anyone imports/sells Manarays anymore
frown.gif
I got mine from Tire Rack and they don't seem to have them listed on there site anymore. I have 17 X 8 in front and 18 X 9.5 in back I'm running Dunlop SP 8000 tires, 215/40ZR17 front and 265/35ZR18 in back. I haven't noticed any tire wear at all, I've had the car lowered only a year and I don't drive it much, its a 91 with 9,800 miles. Another thing I saw on the Northwest NSX site a guy with a black NSX had the same Manarays I did, you may want to contact him to see if he knows where he can get them from. I still have the factory shocks, so when I replace those, maybe next year, I'm going with a coilover setup.

Edo
When I get the coilovers I plan on getting the sway bars at the same time, no point in tearing the car apart twice.
smile.gif

Thanks guys for the comments and I hope my answers I provided help you out.

nsx3.jpg

[This message has been edited by PUREVIL (edited 08 September 2000).]

PUREVIL,
What brand of coilover do you have in mind? Since there are too many out there, it's difficult to tell which one is worthy of NSX. Do you mind sharing your research? Thanks!
Charles

I was thinking about going with a Comptech setup, does anyone know how they perfrom? I was looking at the sport setup not the competition ones? I know from setting up coilovers on some civics that its a good idea to get some aftermarket shocks with the coilovers. A few of my friends use Skunk2 coilovers with factory shocks and after a while the shocks blow out and the car rides really bumpy.

I know H&R makes a coilover for the NSX and I really like my H&R springs on my 500SL so I may consider them too. Ground control is another manufacturer that makes coilovers for the NSX, they use Eibach springs which ride really nice. But I'm trying to avoid what I call "add on" coilovers. Ground Control are "add on" coilovers. They come with a threaded collar that slides over your stock shock, where as the Comptech setup uses a threaded shock body.

If anyone has more info about coilovers I'd appreciate more input and info.

Hope that helps answer your question BerkeleyBruin

while the shocks blow out and the car rides really bumpy

Why would the ride be bumpy if the shocks blew out? Wouldn't the ride be bouncy instead??

I did alot of research into the suspension mods several months ago and decided to go with the following setup. I'm running Bilstein sport shocks, around $550 a set, Eibach sport springs, $386/set, and Dali Racing's TRACK swaybars, $350 pair. The mods were all done at the same time to minimize the labor. I had the alignment reset and am running 1 degree negative camber at the front and 2 degrees negative in the rear. My car sits 1+1/2 inches lower which looks great. I have friends who run H&R springs and they look really good but are too low in my opinion for functional reasons. They scrape their noses an awful lot and with two people in the car the rears rub in high speed turns on the track. I'm running HRE 547's, 17x8F and 18x10R with 215/40/17F and 285/30/18R Bridgestone SO-2's. This combination is incredible on the street and on the track. I was running this wheel/tire combo for about a month before doing the suspension mods so that I would be able to gauge the changes accurately. After the suspension mods were done I found when I entered familiar high speed turns at my previous maximum comfortable speed I was able to tighten the turn at will. I'm now able to carry a good deal more speed with a very solid and confident feel. Low speed driving is very good as well. The harsh ride I feared I would have to accept with the mods never materialized. A fellow NSX club member who had driven my car prior to the mods asked to drive it again after everything was done. He was amazed at how the car was transformed and plans to add the same goodies to his '94 in the near future. For the money, Mark Johnson and Dali Racing provide more value and performance per dollar than any other company out there. One man's opinion.

TampaBayNSX-R,
Thanks for the informative post! I was thinking about getting the the same setup from Dali Racing, but with the H&R spring instead. I don't know too much about suspensions, but what I've heard from others is that the Eibach is a progressive spring so it tightens up as it compresses. On the other hand H&R is linear so it's more predictable for high speed, at the limit handling(is this true?) Anyway, how are the track swaybars doing for you? Are they too tight for street? I was going to get the street bars, but may get the track bars instead. I also have HRE wheels (haven't had time to install them on my baby!) They are 540's: 18x8.0 front 19x10.5 rear. I'm going to put 225/35/18 and 265/30/19 AVS sport later in the month. Hope this setup will be worth the $6000 I spent!!! Thanks you and PUREVIL for the input!

Charles

I would be curious to see how an NSX lowered with 19's will do in terms of everyday driving (scraping, rubbing, etc). I have blitz 19x10's with 275/30's on the back and was wondering how much clearance you would have after lowering. Anyone else have experience with lowering with a 19 rear, 18 front setup? Thanks for any info.

------------------
Jason

I just sent my buddy an email asking him about his 18/19 setup. He's running 225/35/18's in the front and 295/30/19's in the rear. His car is also lowered with H&R springs with HRE 540's. Looks amazing!!!

He told me that they rubbed a little in the front when he first got them, but he removed/moved some plastic inside the front fenders and the problem has gone away.

I think if you are not willing to do a little bit of modification to your car, then maybe a smaller rim and/or tire would be a better setup.

Remember that these big rim/tire combinations are going to make your gear ratios that much taller.

[This message has been edited by TitaniumVtec (edited 09 August 2000).]

Charles-glad to be of help. A couple of things. The Dali track bars are NOT too stiff for the street. I know three cars driven regularly on the street and no complaints of ride harshness. THEY ARE AWESOME! As for the high speed characteristics of H&R springs vs Eibach, I can only speak of my own experiences. My car, with Eibachs, is very stable at high speed. I four wheel drift my car through turns in excess of 110 at Sebring and the feel is very stable and very predictable. I have only driven on a car shod with H&R slooking prings at moderate speeds so I can't really comment on that. The feel at moderate speeds was not to my liking but there were several other differences between that car and mine...tires being the main variable. To add to TitaniumVTEC's comments on the 18/19 HRE shod car w/H&R's...I know the owner very well...in fact we talk almost every day. He's currently in the process of ordering up a set of Eibach's for his car to replace the H&R's...not for ride quality reasons but for clearance issues that have plagued him ever since he got his gorgeous HRE's. I personally helped him roll the front fenders on his car, in my driveway, after his tires grabbed the metal lip on his fenders and caused bends in them. The last straw was when he found damage to the inside edge of his right rear wheel last night. Save yourself the heartache and benefit from his experience. There's no doubt that the big wheels and H&R's look AWESOME...but oh what a price to pay. Best of luck to you! Off to Sebring this weekend...look for pictures and details on NSXFlorida.com

TitaniumVtec

That NSX your talking about wouldn't be Nelsons X would it????? I just recently bought his "OLD" DC Sport cat back exhaust. His car looks really good on those HRE's.

Back