• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Question: Throttle Response and the NSX

What can be done to improve the NSX's throttle response? :confused:

I've just stepped back into an NSX after a short stint in a Boxster S. The one thing about the NSX I have never been a fan of is the throttle response. What can be done about that? What would it cost... I did a search and didn't find anything, but please direct me to the thread if my searching skills are poor. I will admit the sound and throttle response of the Boxster was pretty sweet. I do realize they are not similar vehicles and don't think for a second I feel the boxer holds a candle to the beloved N-Wing...

Re: Question: Throttle Respone and the NSX

assuming your car is running right ,cable is not binding ect,and the TB is clean a lighter flywheel on some of the aftermarket clutches will perk it up.

What about an ATI dampener I have one on back order so cannot yet comment, however most threads on say it helps somewhat in that department.

For better throttle response, you could:

1. Install a lighter flywheel and/or smaller-diameter clutch(es). There’s some good information in this thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129515. This article describes why the engine of the Porsche Carrera GT revs so quickly: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/porsche-carrera-gt-first-drive-review

2. Get your throttle plate to open a larger cross section per mm of accelerator pedal travel (big bore throttle body or maybe some NSX-R parts). Your engine won’t be able to rev quicker at full throttle, but at least it’ll rev quicker at part throttle.

Great post!Thank you for all the things learned from here and congratulations for the good work.

I have pretty good throttle response.

Intake, intake pipe in fender, big bore throttle body, headers, flywheel/clutch, exhaust system.

The ultimate would possibly be ITB's.

Trade for an early car. The early cars response is razor sharp with or without IHE although perhaps the boxter is even better. From a theoretical standpoint a larger throttle body should decrease off throttle response. Lots of posts on the DBW and single plate clutch.

Trade for an early car. The early cars response is razor sharp with or without IHE although perhaps the boxter is even better..

I disagree with that assessment. The slow throttle response was probably the first thing I noticed when I got my 94 NSX vs. other cars I have driven.

Is there a "piggyback" ECU solution (sort of like the CTSC part) for improving throttle response? Really don't want to reflash a factory part...

I always thought the response on my 95 with a SOS flywheel and headers was fantastic.

Is there a recalibration that the DBW can do? My Audi calibrated itself automatically after the battery was reconnected.

I must admit that after driving a few weeks in the NSX again, the response is pretty good. I think what is actually different is the 'negative' response time (if that term exists). It accelerates very quick but when you let off it takes some time to go back down. The Boxster drops like a rock. In the end I am super pleased so far with the move from a 92 to a 2000 NSX. There are a couple of changes that really are nice (6spd, 3.2L, Powersteering under 15 MPH and most of all ridding myself of the old ABS (I had to disconnect my 92's).

I must admit that after driving a few weeks in the NSX again, the response is pretty good. I think what is actually different is the 'negative' response time (if that term exists). It accelerates very quick but when you let off it takes some time to go back down. The Boxster drops like a rock. In the end I am super pleased so far with the move from a 92 to a 2000 NSX. There are a couple of changes that really are nice (6spd, 3.2L, Powersteering under 15 MPH and most of all ridding myself of the old ABS (I had to disconnect my 92's).

Based on this post I'd say the lighter flywheel and smaller diameter (maybe dual plate) clutch would be just what you are looking for. But you will always have the issue of the dbw system which may slow unloaded engine deceleration as well as acceleration.

-Another Mike

Last edited:

I disagree with that assessment. The slow throttle response was probably the first thing I noticed when I got my 94 NSX vs. other cars I have driven.

I respectfully suggest that perhaps you are talking about torque/power and not throttle response unless there was something wrong with your early car. In strickly technical terms, throttle response is the time it takes for the car to move when the throttle is moved. Not the rate of acceleration, but the split second lag time before the power hits. The drive by wire and the single clutch are both known to slow this time a bit. Thats why the go back to old comment. If you think the old car lacks "something", it's likely you simply want more power at a lower rpm. I stand by the razer sharp throttle response comments of the early cars.

As a side note, exhaust systems most often dull the OE throttle response somewhat. Not enough to avoid them, but a particular header exhaust combo could introduce a pretty noticable degredation of TR.

In 1994, I sold my air-cooled Porsche 911 and bought my NSX. One of the first things I noticed was that my stock NSX didn’t rev as quickly my stock 911 did when the transmission was in neutral and I hit the gas.

I have a 7.5lb flywheel and ITB's. It revs up "crazy" fast.

The flywheel by itself was a huge jump in pedal response. Anytime you can reduce the centrifugal weight on the engine you should see a faster rev' response.

I have a 7.5lb flywheel and ITB's. It revs up "crazy" fast.

The flywheel by itself was a huge jump in pedal response. Anytime you can reduce the centrifugal weight on the engine you should see a faster rev' response.
Steven showed me a sneak peak at your setup you lucky bastard! How do you like the clutch engagement from a dead stop with the LWFW? I'm guessing you got a Dali Tilton unit?

I respectfully suggest that perhaps you are talking about torque/power and not throttle response unless there was something wrong with your early car. In strickly technical terms, throttle response is the time it takes for the car to move when the throttle is moved. Not the rate of acceleration, but the split second lag time before the power hits. The drive by wire and the single clutch are both known to slow this time a bit. Thats why the go back to old comment. If you think the old car lacks "something", it's likely you simply want more power at a lower rpm. I stand by the razer sharp throttle response comments of the early cars.

As a side note, exhaust systems most often dull the OE throttle response somewhat. Not enough to avoid them, but a particular header exhaust combo could introduce a pretty noticable degredation of TR.

Perhaps you are right. It seems like we are talking about different things though. I was referring to what I perceive as slow engine response when I stab the throttle in neutral or with the clutch disengaged. What I consider the "free-revving" ability of the engine. Maybe my use of the term "throttle response" was incorrect. I just have found other cars to have a faster-revving engine when in neutral or with the clutch pressed in (disengaged). It could be something in the pedal linkage, cables, torsion springs, whatever... it just feels like when I press the gas the engine doesn't rev as fast as I would like. I have no problem with the acceleration of the car however. Anyway it's not a big deal, just my observation.

Steven showed me a sneak peak at your setup you lucky bastard! How do you like the clutch engagement from a dead stop with the LWFW? I'm guessing you got a Dali Tilton unit?

The clutch is stock (for now). I just have a Fidanza flywheel. With the added force of the throttle bodies on the throttle cable it takes some getting used to but it doesn't chatter at all. I'm going to dig into the trans gears and replace the clutch next fall. Still looking at options. I may even make my own.

I just have a Fidanza flywheel.

Has it become any more difficult to pull away from a standstill without stalling the engine or is the idle less stable with the Fidanza flywheel?

If the only effect is that the engine can rev more quickly, that sounds good!

well I purchased a Boxster S new in 2002, great car but now superseded by my 91 NSX to which I fitted a fidanza LWFW. I never really thought about throttle response in the porsche i.e. it was probabaly so good I never cared.

But almost every time I drive my NSX (top speed headers and Taitec muffler but otherwise stock engine) I revel in the superb throttle response, and the sound .... OH the sound.

I do recall the free revving response before/after I fitted the fidanza was quite noticeable. Note I wasn't driven to fit it because I thought the NSX response was tardy, more that the LWFW has to improve acceleration performance.

Another factor here could be the Boxster has fly-by-wire throttle and so the ECU changes the response curve of the accelerator dynamically, i.e. less sensitive when in stop-start traffic, aggressive curve when driving 'sporty'. Neverthless I'm saying, on (subjective) balance, NSX+fidanza >= Boxster S

I rarely have a problem stalling the NSX due to the reduced flywheel inertia. It does happen now 'n again, but only if I'm not concentrating/distracted (e.g. attractive creature appears in corner of my eye just as the lights change:smile:). It's just fine once you're used to it, even in stop start traffic. Good upgrade.

Last edited:

Has it become any more difficult to pull away from a standstill without stalling the engine or is the idle less stable with the Fidanza flywheel?

If the only effect is that the engine can rev more quickly, that sounds good!

No, I would actually say the starting from a standstill is easier. You need much less throttle to get it moving. Idle is no change at all.

Last edited:

I was referring to what I perceive as slow engine response when I stab the throttle in neutral or with the clutch disengaged. What I consider the "free-revving" ability of the engine. Maybe my use of the term "throttle response" was incorrect. I just have found other cars to have a faster-revving engine when in neutral or with the clutch pressed in (disengaged). It could be something in the pedal linkage, cables, torsion springs, whatever... it just feels like when I press the gas the engine doesn't rev as fast as I would like. I have no problem with the acceleration of the car however. Anyway it's not a big deal, just my observation.

This absolutely calls for a whole lot more HP ($$$) or a lighter clutch and flywheel. ($) If you are happy with the overall performance of the car I would just wait until the clutch is worn and then upgrade. That will give you something to look forward to. :cool:

In the meantime, make sure your throttle plate is opening all the way. It's really easy to check for slack in the throttle cable.

Last edited:
the ATI damper helps. lightweight flywheel and clutch does more. as long as you are happy when you mash the throttle, ignore the other mods until you have done the clutch and flywheel.

Back