• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

R8

I've been driving NSXs for 22 years, and think I'd like to try something different. The Audi dealer, next door to the Acura dealer, has a '15 R8 V8 convertible with a manual transmission and 1500mi (lease return). I'm seriously considering buying it, but I'm afraid it might turn into my long ago Citroen SM nightmare. Can someone with knowledge of R8s comment on the owning and driving experience? No track days but plenty of mountain roads.

Last edited:
it's gonna be very similar to any of your NSX's in many ways (reliability, ease of daily use, comfort level, etc.), except a lot faster and it'll get you a fair bit more attention.

in my opinion, the R8 is the heir apparent to the first model NSX in terms of an everyday Supercar. it's better and more modern in every way...

p.s. what year RC51 do you have?

Last edited:
I like the R8 also. Are they (both v8 & v10) really as reliable as the NSX?

I read their auto-manual trans doesn't shift very smooth, but not sure if they are prone to break like the e46 M3's SMG.

it's gonna be very similar to any of your NSX's in many ways (reliability, ease of daily use, comfort level, etc.), except a lot faster and it'll get you a fair bit more attention.

in my opinion, the R8 is the heir apparent to the first model NSX in terms of an everyday Supercar. it's better and more modern in every way...

p.s. what year RC51 do you have?

the non DCT transmission like any other (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Chevy, etc.) sucks. but the manual transmission and DCT are awesome. the cars themselves are extremely reliable and super user friendly in all situations. and both the V8's and V10's sound ridiculous! the V8 is actually the lighter and better balanced car.

my advice, get a manual tranny V8 and enjoy...

Local exotic dealer has owned several as personal vehicles, reliability is not an issue with the R8.

Test drove several before making my decision, the S-tronic is not bad; there's a software update for the earlier transmissions which improves shifting response noticeably.

1 The software update for the R-tronic is aftermarket and only out for 2 years. Do not get an R-tronic as there are reports of premature clutch failure.
2 The magnetic shocks leak and should be figured as a replacement (3 of mine went out with 10K miles 2 months after warranty)
3 The V8 engine is DI so there may be issues of carbon build up in the valves. No reports in the V10.
4 Besides the power, better ride and more comfortable than the NSX (I have V10 Coupe)
5 Sounds AWESOME (Larini exhaust)
6 LOTS of attention, similar to NSX here in MI
7 R8 talk is the forum
8 Interesting how many R8 owners were former NSX owners
9 Would I buy the R8 again - YES
10 Sold my NSX which is faster than my R8, currently on the list for new NSX but considering 458

Those of you who have an NSX and have driven an R8 and a Cayman S - which would you say is spiritually closer to the NSX between the two?

Cayman S

Those of you who have an NSX and have driven an R8 and a Cayman S - which would you say is spiritually closer to the NSX between the two?

if you're factoring the same basic drivetrain layout and lightweight characteristics of the car as a spiritual successor, then i would say the Cayman S is more so. the Cayman is also very similar in performance, although slightly faster, despite the two decades in between them.

if you compare the easy to live with, reliable, everyday Supercar character, and pure driving enjoyment plus 20 years of improvement, then the R8 is what a 20 year newer NSX would be most similar to.

in this day and age however, no one is considering a Cayman to be a Supercar, so i would have to say the R8 hands down...

I have a '09 Cayman S that I daily-drive with now over 80k on the odo. It's a great performer and surprisingly practical with good fuel economy and decent storage space in the frunk and rear hatch. It's been reliable as any Honda I've owned and looks great (subjective) but because it is overshadowed by the iconic 911, it can never be a collector classic like the flagship R8 and NSX.

Last edited:
I have a '09 Cayman S that I daily-drive with now over 80k on the odo. It's a great performer and surprisingly practical with good fuel economy and decent storage space in the frunk and rear hatch. It's been reliable as any Honda I've owned and looks great (subjective) but because it is overshadowed by the iconic 911, it can never be a collector classic like the flagship R8 and NSX.

but it is a magnificent little car and quite possibly the most neutral and forgiving chassis of anything on the road right now...

I've been driving NSXs for 22 years, and think I'd like to try something different. The Audi dealer, next door to the Acura dealer, has a '15 R8 V8 convertible with a manual transmission and 1500mi (lease return). I'm seriously considering buying it, but I'm afraid it might turn into my long ago Citroen SM nightmare. Can someone with knowledge of R8s comment on the owning and driving experience? No track days but plenty of mountain roads.

The newer S-tronic automatic manual is very good, and a significant upgrade to the R-tronic. In standard mode, it is nearly as seamless as an automatic - deciding upshifts and downshifts as the transmission computer sees fit. In sport mode, the driver has near full control (it will bounce off the rev limiter as long as you like, but will not downshift above engine speed limit). Many find the V8 to be underpowered. We have a solution for that. Even the V10 with the additional 100 hp feels underwhelming for some (we also have a solution for that). We have a 2009 V8 M/T and 2014 V10 S-tronic test vehicles. They are both exciting in their own ways.

cheers,
-- Chris Willson
General Manager

Our test car in the dyno cell:
2016-04-19-12.51.03.jpg

The newer S-tronic automatic manual is very good, and a significant upgrade to the R-tronic. In standard mode, it is nearly as seamless as an automatic - deciding upshifts and downshifts as the transmission computer sees fit. In sport mode, the driver has near full control (it will bounce off the rev limiter as long as you like, but will not downshift above engine speed limit). Many find the V8 to be underpowered. We have a solution for that. Even the V10 with the additional 100 hp feels underwhelming for some (we also have a solution for that). We have a 2009 V8 M/T and 2014 V10 S-tronic test vehicles. They are both exciting in their own ways.

cheers,
-- Chris Willson
General Manager

Our test car in the dyno cell:
View attachment 133334

What are your thoughts on long-term reliability versus a NSX or even one of your twin turbo builds with comparable horsepower?

I keep reading about R8 magnetic shock leaks, faulty a/c's and transmission issues?

What are your thoughts on long-term reliability versus a NSX or even one of your twin turbo builds with comparable horsepower?

I keep reading about R8 magnetic shock leaks, faulty a/c's and transmission issues?

In many ways, the NSX has proven to be more reliable than the R8. However, this is largely due to the NSX being a much more simplistic car. This also makes the NSX easier to maintain due to its relative simplicity and engineering that makes service less complex. Consider also that the NSX has had its own faults varying from minor (window guides) to major (snap-ring transmissions). The shocks and A/C problem mentioned are solvable with aftermarket solutions. I'm not familiar with any transmission issues other than premature R-tronic clutch wear (although I'd avoid those regardless if you can).

In many ways, the NSX has proven to be more reliable than the R8. However, this is largely due to the NSX being a much more simplistic car. This also makes the NSX easier to maintain due to its relative simplicity and engineering that makes service less complex. Consider also that the NSX has had its own faults varying from minor (window guides) to major (snap-ring transmissions). The shocks and A/C problem mentioned are solvable with aftermarket solutions. I'm not familiar with any transmission issues other than premature R-tronic clutch wear (although I'd avoid those regardless if you can).
People might hate me for asking this question but NSX Coupe to R8 Coupe, in terms of body flex and rigidity, is it miles different, was the NSX truly ahead of its time, or both cars are so stiff it has no impact anyways?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

People might hate me for asking this question but NSX Coupe to R8 Coupe, in terms of body flex and rigidity, is it miles different, was the NSX truly ahead of its time, or both cars are so stiff it has no impact anyways?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

In my opinion, the cars are not analogous. The R8 is a GT car. Easier to drive, more comfortable, faster, but heavier and more damped driver response. It would be a difficult choice between the two because they are very different cars.

I am seriously considering a lightly used V8 R8 to buy. Why? I am growing tired of chasing the ultimate Nsx dream. But I still LOVE the Nsx and it will not be for sale...

I don't quite understand what you are saying, you have an NSX but you are still chasing the NSX dream? What will the R8 do?
The "ultimate" nsx dream. Meaning modifying the car so far past the original design to come close to a modern day car.

Im my own opinion. I think the nsx is limited to modifications unless you have buckets and buckets of cash. Do I love the car? F@$k yeah I do. Is it practical? Oem style yes. Modified, absolutely not. 25 years difference in car production is leap years beyond todays standards. Just my opinion. I can drive my other cars for creature comforts. But when I want a raw drive, the nsx flexes its muscles. I myself am at a fork in the road as to wheather or not dump more cash into the car to chase the new bug I have been having or buy something more modern. But as I said before. The nsx is a keeper and not going anywhere for me. It can be quite a love and hate relationship though. Just read some build threads. Once you start modifying, it never ends...

My buddy Jason had a newer NSX with a turbo. He sold it and has a 09' R8 V8 6-spd manual. He likes it, just every small thing is super expensive and blown way out of proportion to any non super car. It has been reliable to him so far as to just the car working, just small things breaking or squeaking. The shifting on that thing is sweet, I think its cool with the AWD, already has huge brakes and such. He likes lots of power and thinks its not enough, not enough TQ. I think its plenty fast for a car and wouldn't want anymore. If i didnt ride motorcycles and not have demon speed on tap when I wanted then i can see why you would want a fast vehicle to get a rush or something though. I like it because its an awesome car right out of the box and dont need to get all this bullshit like KWV3's, BBK's and just general shit since its already really good and upgrading would just be dumb unless you bought it to be a race car on your private track next to your mansion in the south France. Although in the long run it should be cheaper than a used R8.

The coolest thing though is he is now in these super car clubs and such, seems to be fun and new perks and people to hang with that made a same car choice as you.

Last edited:
Back