• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Racing Brake update!

Ok fellow NSXers just wanted to pass along my impressions after a full weekend of racing at VIR using Racingbrake.com two piece rotor upgrades both front and rear. I used Hawk DT-60 pads front and the Blue rear pads. dedicated 5" ducting to the fronts from the spoiler inlet where the condensers were. I was able to OUTBRAKE 993 and 996 Porsche Cup cars!!!!!!! I have it on video !!!! Maybe they were braking a little early but I did the one hour enduro and had ZERO fade for the entire race...These things were very confidence inspiring and not a single problem.
JJ
PS. finished second in class in the enduro losing only to a 3.8 liter Porsche Supercup car.
HSRRACE.COM

sounds good... did you upgrade your braking system to a 97+ ?

congrats on the place... I love VIR... my hometrack..

x

yes with their one piece bracket kit for the front and rear I was able to go to the 97+ brakes with a two piece rotor with an aluminum hat...great system and nicely priced...just curious....did you ever time your laps at VIR?

Good to hear you are having success with the RB rotors. We have also had similar success with the complete upgrade. Forget the great value, the performance is incredible. Great job by Warren at RB and MJ at Daliracing!

Laptimes? What were the conditions?

Any comparison times from prior to the upgrade?

Thats awesome. I am eagerly awaiting their 320mm units next month. I am assuming you ran the 300mm, right?

VintageracerNYC said:
just curious....did you ever time your laps at VIR?
so far the best I've gotten has been 2:17.17x

conditions were hot... ground temp was around 128,
3/4 tank of gas
tein ra's
stock rotors, carbotech xp8 pads
street tires.

x

so... based on the RB picture... is all i need to upgrade to the 97+ brakes all i need is a rotor and a new bracket??? it seriously can't be that easy..

VintageracerNYC said:
I was able to OUTBRAKE 993 and 996 Porsche Cup cars!!

Cool! Another BBK for me to research as I'm in the market. Just for the record, a 1980's vintage NYC Checker cab could outbrake a Porsche. :biggrin:

Hugh said:
Cool! Another BBK for me to research as I'm in the market. Just for the record, a 1980's vintage NYC Checker cab could outbrake a Porsche. :biggrin:

Probably b/c it rides on Brembos??? :wink: j/k.. i don't want to join that fight and I have no experience w/ BBK's... :)

x

This kit does use the OE calipers and is the 300mm kit. They have a one piece replacement bracket that replaces the OE for an exact fit and no seperate spacers required. I am using there two piece slotted rotors and they also happen to look great as well. Zero fade and no fitment issues.

go figure... just called my buddies at acura. They don't sell the bracket by itself. You have to purchase the caliper and the bracket together... cost=495 each corner...

dah..

x

just called... they said they don't sell just the bracket... =(

Weird thing is that the front BBK (put together kit) advertises 298 x 28mm rotor and the OEM 97+ 2 piece replacement is a 300x28mm... the only way to replace is it to get a rotor ring... why isn't it a true 97+ replacement?

regards,
x

Here's a link:
http://www.racingbrake.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=nsx&Extensive_Search=Y

Last edited:
I have the rotors on my 1997 NSX and the 2 piece rotors are a direct replacement.

VBNSX said:
just called... they said they don't sell just the bracket... =(

Weird thing is that the front BBK (put together kit) advertises 298 x 28mm rotor and the OEM 97+ 2 piece replacement is a 300x28mm... the only way to replace is it to get a rotor ring... why isn't it a true 97+ replacement?

Actually, the original OEM 1997+ front rotor size IS 298x28mm, not 300. Rear rotors are 303x23mm.

MvM said:
Actually, the original OEM 1997+ front rotor size IS 298x28mm, not 300. Rear rotors are 303x23mm.

cool.. that makes more sense..

thanks!
x

simonprelude said:
I have the rotors on my 1997 NSX and the 2 piece rotors are a direct replacement.

so if the statement below yours is true, then if you bought these direct replacement that means you've increased your rotors by 2mm (not significant but still)

x

Congratulations to VintageracerNYC for your win and we are glad that RB brakes worked out great for you which coincides to our belief that a good brake does provide the needed confidence to (brake hard and) win the race.

The stock replacement front rotor OD is 298mm. We offer the rotors (two piece or one piece rotors) and brackets together for earlier model. The required caliper brackets that we make for this upgrade kit are “NOT” the same for those of 97+ which Acura sells only with calipers. Therefore it’s better for customer to purchase the complete upgrade kit from RB to assure the installation and performance integrity.

Last edited:
Try ERZ Motors. They have used parts from high end cars. I bought my 97+ rear calipers with brackets from them ($325 including shipping for both). Very good reputation. NSXTASY agrees.
They sell used rotors too ~ $100 for 2.

Email Joe Toth at: [email protected]

Thank you for the referral. The good part of RB upgrade kit is that the brackets are made to accomondate the old model's caliper and there is nothing else to buy or install other than replacing to RB brackets and rotors.

Back