• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Read the FAQS. Use teh Search. Wah Wah Wah.

I'm getting tired of all the so called veterans on this site whining everytime a n00b starts a thread. How many new people do you guys run off with 10 posts saying "Read the FAQs." "Use the search." "There have been 300 threads on this already." ?

Since it is so hard for you guys to leave a thread without making one of these useless comments, how about we just institute this as a standard, second post to every thread a n00b creates for his first 50 posts or so?

searchfirst_1.gif

Or cry babies like this guy. By the way I have been a member of prime for about 6 years and owned my nsx for about 8. I don't post often as you can tell but I go to the sight often. Back in the day the quality of the people on this sight was second to none everone was very helpful and polite. Sorry for not doing a search before I post.http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61887I found something interesting so I thought I would share. WAH WAH WAH I don't mind the polite reminder of RSO 34. But I really don't appreciate the comments of others. Now that some of the prices have drop to around 25k. It has brought a new bread to this sight :cool: .

I will be the first to admit that the search button does not always turn up the results that you would expect but when it is apparent that the person did not make a attempt to search what should you do ?

i dont think the 'use the search NOOB thing is unique to this forum :biggrin:'
if you go onto ANY forum and repost information you'll get burninated pretty bad
(whether the forums are for cars, video games, breakdancing, basket weaving, they'll still tell you to use the damn search button) i understand its annoying when people tell you to use search, but if it wasnt for that there would really be 3000 threads asking about how to enable the passenger window :biggrin:

Mynsxjoy said:
Now that some of the prices have drop to around 25k. It has brought a new bread to this sight :cool: .

Yeah because everybody knows that if a car is less than 50k .."undesirables" will buy them:rolleyes:

......you would think that somebody that can afford to spend top dollar on a 2nd 3rd or 4th car would be able to spell.....or did you get one of your servants to write that for you?

zahntech said:
Yeah because everybody knows that if a car is less than 50k .."undesirables" will buy them:rolleyes:

......you would think that somebody that can afford to spend top dollar on a 2nd 3rd or 4th car would be able to spell.....or did you get one of your servants to write that for you?

BWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I consider it a form of Social Darwinism. It weeds out the trolls and those who don't really contribute to the community. In addition, it aids in maintaining quality of content. So respect the community and those who've discussed whatever topic/question ad nauseum. Failure to do so results in a "Search!" response. Sometimes it's harsh and sometimes it's not...deal with it.

And if you think vetern rebuke is harsh in this forum (enough to merit a thread), you may want to stay wading in the kiddie pool b/c deeper water is only going to give you more excruciating "Search!" responses.

honestly have you used any internet forum before?! Everyone is annoyed with people that don't use the search and use the archives to their advantage. Every board fights the same tard battle every damn day. To think this site should be any different is laughable.

All you did was make yourself look like an elitist....I didn't do that, you did:smile:

But thats ok, whatever floats your boat:biggrin:

Last edited:
khappucino said:
if you go onto ANY forum and repost information you'll get burninated pretty bad
(whether the forums are for cars, video games, breakdancing, basket weaving, ...

That's right. The basket weaving and Pottery forums i joined were ruthless & hostile. Those internet grannies are BAD. :D

I just came across this thread.

Which do you guys prefer? Zaino or Zymol?

Oh, and what is the "snap ring" thing? :biggrin: :tongue:

Sure, Prime is changing, but its been changing since the day it was born.

Acura NsX Pilot said:
I will be the first to admit that the search button does not always turn up the results that you would expect but when it is apparent that the person did not make a attempt to search what should you do ?

I use that excuse too! :D ;) (truth be known, you are right)

I'm going to offer my two cents on the "search" thing, because it's what I do for a living.

I'm a UNIX systems programmer that works with enterprise search systems all day long. I work with all sorts of data in all sorts of environments for all sorts of clients. Companies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to purchase search systems that cover less data than some internet forums.

I'm going to tell you right now why people don't use BB search systems: the search systems suck. They're little more than web front-ends to a massive database select. There's a reason you can't do more than one search every 15 or 30 or 60 seconds - it hammers the database, and the servers react very poorly to rapid searches. Databases were meant to store information quickly and systematically, and read it out in a systematic fashion. Random-access searches are a completely different technology.

To give you a point of reference, the text in every thread on this server could probably be condensed into 100MB or less. A search takes a couple of seconds. A search system that has been designed to WORK will comb through a terabyte (that's 1000 GB) of data in less than 100 milliseconds, all while doing human-language translation and interpolation on the search terms. There's also a lot of "editing" that goes into the dataset. This kind of performance and functionality is the "bare minimum" people expect these days, and it's obviously impossible for a free BB to provide it. Hence, nobody uses them! It's pretty logical, people.

The BB search systems are a hack, they don't scale, and they're not very useful because they lack fundamental features any "real" search system would have. To compound the information, your typical user has absolutely no idea how to formulate a proper search query. It's INSANE to expect average people to use this kind of stuff effectively. Furthermore, the search "systems" they implement AREN'T EVEN AWARE of their OWN CONTEXT! The presented results are not thread-oriented, they can't show you individual posts in a thread in a break-out fashion, etc, etc, etc. It's horrible, plain and simple.

They simply give the illusion of a "good" search by presenting the user with a billion different options they can configure in "Advanced Search" - that actually does more harm than good. Searching is tough to implement.

Not only do the search systems suck, the format of the information as its presented and stored sucks. Threads are not stored in any meaningful manner, nor are they edited, and the "good" information must be extracted through hours of reading and reloading threads over and over and over again. To think that the typical user (read: impatient person of average intelligence) is going to do in his head what lots of corporations spend millions of dollars on is to be ignorant of human nature.

From a server performance standpoint, it's my professional opinion that it's probably more efficient for people to post questions and get immediate answers from people who already know answers or know exactly where information can be retrieved rather than hammer the server for 2 or 3 hours (this INEVITABLY happens).

If it's a question of aesthetics, well, then to each his own. The moderators run the site.

Ponyboy said:
And if you think vetern rebuke is harsh in this forum (enough to merit a thread), you may want to stay wading in the kiddie pool b/c deeper water is only going to give you more excruciating "Search!" responses.

Kiddie pool. That's funny.

So far I have met about 25 owners from this site and I have to say that every one of them was personable and fun to shoot the breeze with.

But my point is that there is a section called "New and prospective owners." Let the newb's ask their redundant questions without assault in there. The fact of the matter is that there is NO SUBJECT THAT HASN'T ALREADY BEEN COVERED on this website. The FAQs are great and a search will usually yield 90% of what you need.

So hell, let's just close the site down. Nothing to see here but internet tough guys with years of experience reposting "use the FAQs."

dupe.gif

Mirroredshades said:
I'm getting tired of all the so called veterans on this site whining everytime a n00b starts a thread. How many new people do you guys run off with 10 posts saying "Read the FAQs." "Use the search." "There have been 300 threads on this already." ?

Since it is so hard for you guys to leave a thread without making one of these useless comments, how about we just institute this as a standard, second post to every thread a n00b creates for his first 50 posts or so?

searchfirst_1.gif

This complaint has been made before.. You really should've used the search before starting a new thread.. Remember, the search is your friend.. waa..waa :biggrin:

maybe there should be 2 different sites!...regular NSXPRIME and NSXPRIME SR Edition.....and on "SR Edition" you must have had an NSX more than 6 years and make more than 500k per year (to keep the riff raff out)...and you can never ask any questions or start a thread that has been covered in any way!.....It will be a hoot!!!:wink:

Mirroredshades said:
Kiddie pool. That's funny.

I try. ;)

Mirroredshades said:
But my point is that there is a section called "New and prospective owners." Let the newb's ask their redundant questions without assault in there. The fact of the matter is that there is NO SUBJECT THAT HASN'T ALREADY BEEN COVERED on this website. The FAQs are great and a search will usually yield 90% of what you need.

That's actually a good point and I see no reason why any of the aged and distinguished members would object to that. Perhaps that would spur better content or rehash some old content that may yield some uncovered diamond of knowledge.

Mirroredshades said:
So hell, let's just close the site down.

You presume site ownership. And/or that the community has some involvement with closing the site.

Mirroredshades said:
Nothing to see here but internet tough guys with years of experience reposting "use the FAQs."

Surely, if you don't like the community or how members point others to the FAQ, you have the option of not logging on. The simplest solutions are many times the correct ones.

Ponyboy said:
I

Surely, if you don't like the community or how members point others to the FAQ, you have the option of not logging on. The simplest solutions are many times the correct ones.

Nah. I like it here. I'm just tired of a few cantankerous individuals attacking every new person who joins. The in-fighting is getting old. I think some fresh voices would be nice to hear if they aren't all silenced in their first 20 posts.

Back