• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Really odd electrical quirk

Ok... I'm going to keep this as simple as I can.

Old setup:
Smartshift + beeper + tiny autometer light...
On the smartshift:
Red goes to yellow/black stripe wire (per instructions)
Yellow goes to one end of shift light
Black to ground (main ground that all the others go to)
Green to tach signal

On the light
One end goes to yellow on smartshift
other end goes to the acc power by the interior fuse panel. (far right one)

Zublin Smartshift PDF
Everything worked well for 5+ years

New setup:
Same thing as above with an added Accusump.
Power from where cig lighter used to be to switch, from switch to pressure switch at the accusump.
Ground goes to separate ground all by itself (tested and verified it's a good ground)

current problem... smartshift no longer works.

Things I've done to troubleshoot the issue.
1. Originally the instructions required a fuse jumper from #3 in the fuse panel. However, when doing that the smartshift AND beeper would actually go off (ie, beep + light) everytime the accusump discharged. So I moved it to where it is now. Which alleviated the incessant beeping however, the light/beeper still do not work.

2. One thing I notice is that when i first put the car on the acc slot, with the accusump on, i see very (very) faint flickers associated with the accusump discharge (not normal obviously).

3. I have moved the main power from the smartshift (curiosity) to direct battery... same diagnosis.

4. Here's the interesting part. Just to make sure my smartshift isn't fubar'd I disconnected the power to the accusump and started the car. Revved to 4k and boom.. it works (lowered light/beep to 4k). Then... I reconnected the power to the accusump... accusump did its thing and boom... they both work together.

Decided to see if it would just 'work' with the power like it's supposed to but nope.

So somehow, if the accusump is on and the car goes in the 'on' position and starts, the smartshift doesn't work. However if there is no connection to the accusump at the time of starting, the smartshift works...

I'm having a hard time trying to see how the accusump affects the smartshift at the time of starting...

i guess technically i could put the smartshift to a switch and make the physical disconnect at the time of start but that just seems kinda ghetto. I'd really like to know why this is acting the way it is.

Would anyone perhaps have any ideas as to why it is acting this way? :confused:

thank you for your time,
xavier

Sounds like the power spike of powering up the Accusump valve coil is messing up the smart shift. Adding a capacitor near the smart shift may take care of the problem, say a 330uf x 25v.
You may want a small bypass capacitor in addition to the larger buffering capacitor. Like 0.1 uF in parallel with the larger cap. That will help filter the high frequencies better.

I'm having a smart shift issue where my beeper just goes off whenever I'm in boost in 3rd and 4th gear....really can't figure this out

Back