• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

recommedation for tourist

Hi, I'm going down to LA with wifey for 3 days. Our main event is to spend one day at Universal Studio, then we will be driving around for good food and of course, basically shopping and relax.

Just wondering if there's any spot or activities that I 'could not miss'.

This is supposed to be a trip for her; she was actually surprised when I told her this trip is zero car related; I don't have any plan to hit to any track, nor meeting any car enthusiast friends.

thanks for any suggestions.

you gotta hit the happiest place on earth, now...DISNEYLAND!:biggrin:

Rodeo Drive Beverly Hills/Century City area for shopping and LA Live in downtown for food and entertainment.

I'll say shopping and food. :biggrin: however we haven't developed any exquisite taste for luxury french food yet. That said, I don't mind to pay little bit more for nice japanese food, Chinese seafood and/or Italian. Any recommendation?

Shopping
Downtown has the Jewelery District
Rodeo Dr/Beverly Hill, Beverly Center for High end luxury brands
Melrose Dr for offbeat clothing

Food
Best Japanese food is around Little Tokyo area/Downtown (Sushi-Gen, etc) or Torrance/Gardena areas. In West LA go to Totoraku but expect to pay $$$$$
The area for authentic Chinese food is in Monteray Park/Alhambra areas.

Give me the areas of LA you'll be in and I can give you tons of recommendations.

Shopping
Downtown has the Jewelery District
Rodeo Dr/Beverly Hill, Beverly Center for High end luxury brands
Melrose Dr for offbeat clothing

Food
Best Japanese food is around Little Tokyo area/Downtown (Sushi-Gen, etc) or Torrance/Gardena areas. In West LA go to Totoraku but expect to pay $$$$$
The area for authentic Chinese food is in Monteray Park/Alhambra areas.

Give me the areas of LA you'll be in and I can give you tons of recommendations.

thanks man, with GPS and rental car I should be able to hit anywhere if I stay away from rush hour traffic huh? I'm staying at Sofitel hotel on Beverly blvd.

thanks man, with GPS and rental car I should be able to hit anywhere if I stay away from rush hour traffic huh? I'm staying at Sofitel hotel on Beverly blvd.
If you're going across town, say from Santa Monica to Pasadena, then plan 1.5hrs to get there in traffic. You will be taking side streets mostly from where you're staying so plan at least 30-45 mins travel time locally.

Not sure what you guys are into so here's kind of a shotgun approach.

Nightlife:
You're in the center of a pretty lively nightlife area. The Sofitel is walking distance to the SLS Hotel. Check out the bar below the SLS. Dinner at Koi is also nice though I haven't been there in a few years. Koi is a Japanese fushion kind of place that turns into a "club/bar" after 10pm. Drais Hollywood is also a club spot that recently opened. Go early to all these places (before 9pm?) or risk the likely event of your night turning into a party foul. This will give the lady a taste of glitzy but pretentious LA. Downtown has also become popular. There's a great Whiskey bar called Seven Grand that often hosts live bands but the area in general is still a bit grungy.

Other food:
Lawry's and Ruth's Chris for Steak but i'd go to Mastros near you. Gyu Kaku down the street is not bad either. There's a lot of smaller breakfast/coffee houses right there on 3rd st. There's also BLD and/or Griddle Cafe for good breakfast.

Other activities:
I would recommend the Ghetty Center. There's two of them and both are worth visiting even if just to enjoy the views and the architecture. Venice Beach is probably a must go for new visitors. I would also try to go to Old Town Pasadena for a day outing followed by dinner. Try a drive up the PCH or do a day trip down to Laguna Beach.

Shopping:
Melrose is a great suggestion. You an still get some one-offs there. There's also the Beverly Center which is walking distance from you. However, the best mall in the area is Century City. Lots of celebs go there if you want to try your luck as a paparazzi.

Anyway, lots to do. Feel free to PM me. Have fun!

If you're going across town, say from Santa Monica to Pasadena, then plan 1.5hrs to get there in traffic. You will be taking side streets mostly from where you're staying so plan at least 30-45 mins travel time locally.

Not sure what you guys are into so here's kind of a shotgun approach.

Nightlife:
You're in the center of a pretty lively nightlife area. The Sofitel is walking distance to the SLS Hotel. Check out the bar below the SLS. Dinner at Koi is also nice though I haven't been there in a few years. Koi is a Japanese fushion kind of place that turns into a "club/bar" after 10pm. Drais Hollywood is also a club spot that recently opened. Go early to all these places (before 9pm?) or risk the likely event of your night turning into a party foul. This will give the lady a taste of glitzy but pretentious LA. Downtown has also become popular. There's a great Whiskey bar called Seven Grand that often hosts live bands but the area in general is still a bit grungy.

Other food:
Lawry's and Ruth's Chris for Steak but i'd go to Mastros near you. Gyu Kaku down the street is not bad either. There's a lot of smaller breakfast/coffee houses right there on 3rd st. There's also BLD and/or Griddle Cafe for good breakfast.

Other activities:
I would recommend the Ghetty Center. There's two of them and both are worth visiting even if just to enjoy the views and the architecture. Venice Beach is probably a must go for new visitors. I would also try to go to Old Town Pasadena for a day outing followed by dinner. Try a drive up the PCH or do a day trip down to Laguna Beach.

Shopping:
Melrose is a great suggestion. You an still get some one-offs there. There's also the Beverly Center which is walking distance from you. However, the best mall in the area is Century City. Lots of celebs go there if you want to try your luck as a paparazzi.

Anyway, lots to do. Feel free to PM me. Have fun!

Regan,

You need to start a tourist/travel agency as a new business:biggrin:.

Check out the Americana Mall or The Grove... pretty cool outdoor areas...

Also check out Griffith Park..... Great views of all of LA from up there and you can hike around if you feel like it.
:biggrin:

If you like parks and hikes. Griffith Park Observatory isn't too shabby. Plus it's free. You just have to get there early to get parking...:redface:

will work for parts..

Must mean supercharger:biggrin:

Back to topic, Griffith Park is nice and lots to see there

Last edited:
My favorite bars in Downtown, in terms of ambiance, are:
1) The Edison (super cool, but drinks are expensive - Dr. Dre's - "I need a Doctor" was filmed here)
tumblr_lff7iyZunU1qfrl6ho1_r1_500.jpg

2) Villains Tavern (offbeat/hipster, in a sketchy neighborhood, but safe inside bar)
3) Golden Gopher (similar feel to Seven Grand)
4) The Association
5) Las Perlas (Tequila bar, interesting mixed drinks)
6) The Varnish (A speak-easy bar, very small, next door to #4, and across the street from #5)
7) Cana Rum Bar (members only, close to LA Live)
8) Blue Whale Bar (cool for Jazz performances, and super courteous bartenders - in Little Tokyo)
9) Elevate (Club/bar in high floor of downtown skyscraper, cool views)
10) The Standard Hotel, Downtown Rooftop bar (Seen in lots of shows, movies, print ads)

take a drive on Mulholland........daytime AND night time.

thanks guys for taking the time replying me, I will try to hit those spots. If I could take a few more days, i'll be driving nsx down to hit the tracks :biggrin: Go KRT, would the road be fun with rental focus??

thanks guys for taking the time replying me, I will try to hit those spots. If I could take a few more days, i'll be driving nsx down to hit the tracks :biggrin: Go KRT, would the road be fun with rental focus??

I think a Focus would be fine but only if you get the Focus RS500!!! :biggrin:
RS500_18_HR.jpg

Sasabune on Wilshire west of Brentwood: Fabulous sushi: pricey, but worth it! BTW, they do not serve California Rolls, or that American stuff--just true hi-end sushi and sashimi. Nobi-san is the man. For steak, can't go wrong with Ruths Chris on Beverly in Beverly Hills. Like it more that Arny Morton's or Boa. Can try "Cut" for steak, but you're paying alot for that celeb crowd.

Check out M-Grill on wilshire & western if you like churrasco (Brazilian BBQ) or Pampas in the Grove for some more reasonable priced brasillian bbq

I'm back to Seattle, and wanting to go back already. Again the trip is for my wife; lazynok, love that universal studio tram shot. I'm sorry to say, I wasn't impressed with any of the rides but then I enjoyed the live people show that they work with the crowd.

Moses, I will plan to come down again, hopefully in near future.:wink:

Back