• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Reducing rotating weight

To reduce rotating weight it is always possible to choose lightweight wheel/tyre combination and two piece rotors... but after that, what can be done to reduce rotational weight? what parts are available for the NSX?

I can think of (expected weight reduction in brackets):

Clutch:

- Lightweight flywheel (~ 6 lbs) - many options available

- Race/sport clutch (~ 8 - 16 lbs) - many options available

Crank Pulley:

- ATI super damper (~ 1,7 lbs)

- Duraluminium (~ 6,5 lbs)

Alternator Pulley:

- Duraluminium Alternator pulley - (0,3 lbs)

Is there any direct (same size as OEM) duraluminium replacement pulley available?

Cam Gears (this would be $$$):

- Comptech (~3,75 lbs)
- Toda Racing (~ 2,65 lbs)

Other (this would be insane $$$ and only make sense if you are completly rebuilding your engine):

Pistons - (??? lbs) / Conecting rods (??? lbs) / Crankshaft - (??? lbs)

Replacing parts to reduce rotating weight in order to increase engine responsivity and hability to rev wouldn´t be cost efective, but if you are rebuilding or servicing your engine, it could make sense upgrading the OEM parts in need to be replaced with the lightweight ones...

Please share your expirience... and help pointing more ways to achieve rotating weight reduction...

Last edited:
most benefit would be super light rims like Enkei RPF or Volks. Stay 17/17 inch. Sure this is no rotating mass in the engine, but in the end all things do make the car faster and price/benefit is very good on light rims.

I'd take a look in quality forged wheels, Personally i like Enkei (i've got 3 sets for mine) other good brands Braid, SpeedLine, OZ, Toora all make affordable light weight forged wheels. (BBS, Compomotive, Technomagnesio etc also come to mind)
On the race car we balanced the crank with clutch and flywheel assembled to get a dynamic balanced rotating assembly. (NSX-R style)

Last edited:
lighter wheels/tires/brakes will make the car feel more alive/responsive

Lightened Rear Bank Exhaust Cam Pulley.
Normally 1.5kgs. I machined over 1/2 a kg out of it so it's a similar weight to the other 3 Cam Pulleys.
I've got another one for sale if anyone is interested.

I'm with you guys on the wheels/tyres... but after that what other options are available to shave rotational weight?

For exemple, i was looking to find a Duraluminium Alternator pulley (same spec as OEM) to use with the ATI damper and i can't seem to find any available for the NSX...

Seems unlikely that you'll find lighter weight connecting rods than factory....

I Agree with you on this, but some vendores claim that their combination of Pistons / Connecting rods are lighter than the OEM

Lightened Rear Bank Exhaust Cam Pulley.
Normally 1.5kgs. I machined over 1/2 a kg out of it so it's a similar weight to the other 3 Cam Pulleys.
I've got another one for sale if anyone is interested.

That's interesting! but i confess i would be scared with the possibility of a cam gear failure after machining it...

Last edited:
... i was looking to find a Duraluminium Alternator pulley (same spec as OEM) to use with the ATI damper and i can't seem to find any available for the NSX...

Procar Specials offers one or at least used to offer one. See this thread. I don't know whether Detlef would be willing to sell the alternator pulley separately from the crank pulley or have it anodized in a different color like black, though. Maybe through a group buy?

How about light weight Axles?

LSD?

Lug Nuts

Wheel Studs

Wheel Hubs

Slightly off topic but aftermarket wheel bearing perhaps?

- - - Updated - - -

lighter wheels/tires/brakes will make the car feel more alive/responsive

When you say brakes are you referring to the disks only?

Calipers are surely fixed?

Back