• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need a new clutch? Considerations for older cars or high mileage ones....

This "minor" transmission overhaul and axle rebuild wasn't cheap now that I'm looking at the parts list.

Figure $60 for the MTF, $30 for two jars of Redline CV-2 (axles grease), $10 for a new tube of Hondabond, plus the following $500 in discounted Acura parts for those of you with the '92 5-speed transmission:

FORK, CLUTCH RELEASE
Part Number: 22820-PR8-000

HANGER, CLUTCH RELEASE
Part Number: 22825-PR8-000

SPRING, RELEASE HANGER
Part Number: 22835-PR8-000

OIL SEAL (40X68X9)
Part Number: 91206-PR8-005

OIL SEAL (42X63X9)
Part Number: 91207-PR8-005

OIL SEAL (32X46X7)
Part Number: 91216-PR8-005

BEARING, ANGULAR (31X82X22)
Part Number: 91004-PR8-008

BEARING, HALF SHAFT (NTN)
Part Number: 91057-SL0-008

SEAL, HALF SHAFT (OUTER) (ARAI)
Part Number: 91260-SL0-004

SEAL, HALF SHAFT (INNER) (ARAI)
Part Number: 91262-SL0-004

BOOT SET, DRIVESHAFT ---- You need two of these
Part Number: 42017-SL0-000

BEARING, BALL (63/32)
Part Number: 91002-PR8-008

O-RING (29.7X2.4)
Part Number: 91307-PR8-005

WASHER, DRAIN PLUG (20MM)
Part Number: 94109-20000

WASHER, DRAIN PLUG (14MM)
Part Number: 94109-14000

You also may want to consider the NSX-R differential mod while you're in there.

You'll need a lot of gloves, paper towels, degreaser, and some good spray paint for the axles.

Last edited:
There's a tiny, tiny bit of shudder if I slowly engage the clutch at less than 1000 RPM. If I quickly engage it at 1250 RPM, then there is no shudder. This Exedy really feels like the old OEM twin disk clutch... it engages at about the same pedal point as OEM, and I can modulate it about the same as OEM. The only difference is about a 20% heavier force on the clutch pedal. I don't really notice it now!

With the baby-new clutch I had also some small amount of shudder when brand new. Nothing to worry about because after breaking it in very carefully there's no more shudder than I've been used from a twin-disc clutch.

Drove it to work this morning. My oil pan temperature was 23F at startup (this car sits in an unheated detached garage). Brrrrr.

Transmission shifted flawlessly with the Synchromesh blend.

There's a tiny, tiny bit of shudder if I slowly engage the clutch at less than 1000 RPM. If I quickly engage it at 1250 RPM, then there is no shudder. This Exedy really feels like the old OEM twin disk clutch... it engages at about the same pedal point as OEM, and I can modulate it about the same as OEM. The only difference is about a 20% heavier force on the clutch pedal. I don't really notice it now!
Yup, I have the same. It is much more noticeable in reverse for me.

OS Giken advises against friction modifiers... I wonder if they changed their tune. Love their LSD but I'd love better cold shifting performance.

What is cold for your car? 60F?!!!

How often are you supposed to service that LSD? If it's due for a refresh soon I would go ahead and try a fluid change. Maybe try whale oil....

Do you know about that procedure to loosen the engine mounts, rev the engine, and then re-torque everything? Since you've had the engine out you may want to check into it.
No I did not know that. I did have a sos top engine mount installed at the time of the build too.

Do you know about that procedure to loosen the engine mounts, rev the engine, and then re-torque everything? Since you've had the engine out you may want to check into it.
No I did not know that. I did have a sos top engine mount installed at the time of the build too.

[MENTION=12356]Mac Attack[/MENTION], did your clutch improve any after the break in period? Mine just seems to jerk into gear so much. Maybe it is just me getting used to the clutch? This clutch just seems tricky to feather from stopping.

[MENTION=12356]Mac Attack[/MENTION], did your clutch improve any after the break in period? Mine just seems to jerk into gear so much. Maybe it is just me getting used to the clutch? This clutch just seems tricky to feather from stopping.

I have about 500 miles on mine now, and I'm starting to be a bit more aggressive with it from a stop.

Obviously, when first installed, it was smooth as butter. After about 200 miles of in-town driving, I noticed it shuddering just a TINY bit as I described in post #54 . After another 300 miles of in-town driving, it seems to be getting slightly better.

If yours is jerking into gear, have you removed the clutch dampener?

Last edited:
Back