• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removing Engine to Replace hoses?

I have a 2005 NSX with 21K miles on it. Due to its age I want to have all the rubber replaced, timing belt, drive belts, hoses, etc. The dealer wants $2800 to replace the timing belt. That includes a water pump, coolant and drive belts. He also wants $2100 to replace hoses. He told me that the engine has to be removed to replace the hoses. Is that true? And if it is, should I have the engine mounts replaced?

replaced all the hoses on mine and the engine stayed firmly bolted in the car!

timing belt and waterpump, TB tensioner, is about 900-1100 including parts

all hoses should be 500 to replace including all 21 hoses

no need for engine mounts I still have my original mounts on my 92 since your NSx has so low miles I wouldn't replace the mounts.

they are milking you hard prob because your an NSx owner I would rather do all that work on an NSX than a Honda civic or prelude or accord.
the NSX is one of the easiest cars to work on compared to the ones I mentioned.

don't let them MILK you like they do to all of us with parts prices and labor etc. we hate stealerships

timing belt and waterpump, TB tensioner, is about 900-1100 including parts
Nope. Not at most of the shops with the most NSX experience, it isn't. That service is typically $1700-2200 or so. $2800 is definitely too high, though.

Billy, where are you located? Maybe we can refer you to an NSX expert mechanic in your area who might be different from the dealer you got that quote from. Also, you might want to put your location into your profile, so we can give you information relevant to your area without having to ask where you are.

Last edited:
I live in Thousand Oaks, California. It's in Ventura County just O/S the L.A. County line. The dealership quoting me is Acura 101 West in Calabasas, CA. Calabasas is where Justin Bieber and a bunch of other celebrities live, so maybe that's why the price is so high. Are there any dealerships or specialty in the Los Angeles area that know more about working on NSXs?

Thanks

Bill

sorry that's what I charge for those services LOL but my NSX mech at Ferman Acura of Tampa, Scott Rudder of Rudder Racing is the guy that does mine and thats about what he charges.

mechs never work on their own car only customers.

but their prices do seem high. vs tampa prices :smile:

WHAT! why?

+1. The makes absolutely no sense to me. I understand physicians not self examining/medicating but a mechanic not working on their own car baffles me.

OP, IMHO any shop that tells you engine removal is required for hose replacement should never be trusted. Find someone else who knows what they're talking about.

I had all of the hoses replaced a few months ago by a certified Acura NSX tech at the dealer for $1150, and they did not drop the engine. Your price seems way high, even in a Justin Beiber area. Check around for other reputable NSX mechanics.

I just called Autowave in Huntington Beach, California after reading about the place here on NSX Prime. Huntington Beach is 125 miles from my house but I'll probably go there. They want to pull the engine to do the timing belt because they don't want to have a mechanic leaning over the car doing all the work. It makes sense because they'll be replacing the a lot of parts. At the same time they'll adjust the valves and change plugs and have easier access to all the hoses. Doing all that work and replacing the brake and clutch fluid will cost around $3500 which is $2500 less than the dealer in Calabasas quoted. Lots of people have written about a positive experience with them so I get a good vibe. When it's done, I'll post here (positive or negative) which may help someone else in Southern California.

I would call Ramon at Niguel Motors 949-348-2476. He is a little futher than Autowave but his prices are a lot lower than theirs and there are many very satisfied NSX owners in SoCal that use him. I know he is very busy now so if he can't get to it then try contacting Robert from this thread below. Read the whole thread to see that there's lots of satisfied customers. He will come to you also.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...or-Acura-Mechanic-for-service-and-maintenance

Last edited:
Both Autowave and Niguel Motors are excellent and have lots of NSX experience. I know it's a little far to go to OC from the Valley but it's worth the drive for a place that knows what they're doing (and will save you thousands).

+1. Listen to LMR.

Calif. labor rate is very high. You don't need to drop the engine if you are doing hoses only but dropping the engine while doing TB/WP/adj. valve, gaskets, balancer...etc. makes the tech life a lot easier. that is what I did to my '93 @ 120k miles. + LMA, crank angle, etc. Everything removed looked new. some change parts religiously according to mother Honda. I am good for the next 20yrs.

I called and spoke with Robert. He sent me a list of what parts will cost. He and I are going to coordinate a weekend for him to do the work. I'll post the results. Thanks to everyone who posted and helped me with this. I expect the job will be done right and save me well over $3K. Thanks again.

IMO there is no need ro replace all hoses/rubber on a 8 y.o. NSX. I did my 1990 NSX recently as a precaution, and none of my old hoses were suspect. That's over 23 y.o. !!

Last edited:
I agree. Never heard of anyone ever replacing all hoses on such a low mileage new car. Especially not on a Honda!

IMO there is no need ro replace all hoses/rubber on a 8 y.o. NSX. I did my 1990 NSX recently as a precaution, and none of my old hoses were suspect. That's over 23 y.o. !!
I think this is the worst advice that's been posted here in quite a while.

On any car, not just the NSX, driving around with 23-year-old hoses :eek: means a serious risk of having a hose fail, and getting stranded, undoubtedly at an inconvenient place and time. Plus, the cost of replacing the hoses with new ones is relatively minor. Just do it!

Last edited:

Sorry, but I agree that there should be no reason to replace all the coolant hoses in a low mileage 8 year old NSX.

I had all my hoses replaced last year (after having to flatbed my NSX to the mechanic when one of the big hoses split) and he said several of the smaller hoses where very brittle. It was definitely past time to have it done.

Sorry, but I agree that there should be no reason to replace all the coolant hoses in a low mileage 8 year old NSX.

I bet nsxtasy thought sparky meant there's no need to replace the hoses on a 23 y.o. car.

I think everyone agrees, 23 year old hoses should to be replaced. 8 year old hoses are fairly young, especially on low mileage NSX's in mild climates, and likely do not need to be replaced (due to age at least).

Lucas

Back