• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replacing rubber clutch hydraulic hose attached to slave cylinder

Not necessary. The last thing you want is to bleed the whole system.
- open the slave bleeder screw
- push the clutch (it will remain down), but a towel on the bleeder screw
- close the slave bleeder screw, this way the reservoir doesn't run dry
- replace the hose
- pull the cluch pedal up
- bleeding procedure

Happy wrenching!

Thanks for detailed instructions.
If replacing the slave cylinder as well as the hose, is there a preferred sequence in terms of unattaching the hose and replacing the slave? For example to minimize any brake fluid leakage, is it easier to take off and reattach the new hose first at the damper end..followed by taking the hose off at the slave cylinder....followed by attaching the new slave and finally attaching the hose to the slave?
Thanks

Actually not. You'll be faced with some brake fluid spilling out but it's not that much. Just soak it up with some towels. You might want to loose the hose at the slave first before you take the slave off.

De rien. :)

If you replaced the slave too you might want to consider an additional bleeding after some time of driving. It's not easy to get wrid of all the air pockets in the clutch hydraulic system. If you only changed the hose one flush is ok.

Tips:
Remove the air box in order to provide much better access from above although much of the work was done from below. This is especially worthwhile in terms of accessing the bracket with the dreaded clip holding the clutch hose in place. It was pretty difficult getting the clip out and a challenge to reinsert the clip afterwards as well. I pried it off with a screwdriver and have yet to get it back on. (I guess I was a bit premature in declaring DIY "successfully completed" when in fact it is only 99.5% done.) If anyone can provide guidance in getting the clip on, it would be most appreciated. I am planning to have a buddy hold the hose in place from below while attempting to muscle on the clip from on top. I am not very familiar with the SOS line installation but this whole issue with the dreaded clip may not be an issue.
By following the instructions received in this thread everything else went pretty smoothly including not much brake fluid leakage. The master cylinder was replaced about 7 years ago, so I decided to hold off replacing it at the same time as the slave (almost 27 years old).

Back