• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Review/Install: Weapon-R Secret Weapon intake

I decided to give an aftermarket intake a try despite all the negative things I've read thus far. Although my install experience was somewhat negative at first (no instructions and some pipe fitment issues), I have to commend the guys at Weapon-R (Leo) for going out of their way to provide me the pics and information I needed ASAP. It was a great customer service experience - I would definately do business again.

Intake Review: :biggrin:
Not only does the intake look sexy in the engine bay with the cover off (take it off for summer!) in conjunction with my Cantrell AIS it sounds frickin sweet. It adds a completely new dimension to the note of the NSX.

Here is an idle/rev clip. It does not capture WOT Vtec sweetness.
http://home.comcast.net/~saberx77/NSX_intake.wav

Intake:Weapon-R w/ Cantrell AIS
Headers: DC Sport
Exhaust: Comptech

Install:
Everything came in a nice box that was packed well. All the stuff feels and looks high quality. One side note, when I examined the inner part of the tubing there was some residual burrs from the cut. I was concerned about small flakes of metal entering my engine so I used the dremel to remove them. I informed Weapon-R of this defect so hopefully it won't happen again.
This is a semi-unpacked and assembled intake. It doesn't come like this. :smile:
weaponRintakeBox.jpg

Once the stock airbox is removed you slap on the intake tube. Notice that the PCV hardline is up against the intake connector - this has to be bypassed.
NSXintake009.jpg

Connect up the dashpot tube.
NSXintake010.jpg

To bypass the hardline you just run a silicon hose to the cylinder bank where the hardline connects.
NSXintake012.jpg

Close up on the cylinder bank
NSXintake007.jpg

I then had to remove a rubber gasket that was in the intake hole into the engine bay to fit the filter. You'll also notice there is a mounting bracket that is bent and slips up under the hose clamps. This keeps the intake pretty stable.
NSXintake016.jpg

All in all its a pretty easy install once you understand that you just have to bypass the hardline and you don't need to remove both hardlines.
(note: these are actually the pics that the Weapon-R tech sent me when I told him I was having trouble)

Greetings-

I am new to the Forum so please bear with me as I offer my opinion.

I own a 2003 NSX T 6 speed with 27k miles stock. I have a Weapon-R on my 94 Legend LS 6 spd with TCS and 92k miles. I will describe my experience with the Secret Weapon on the Legend:

Comment - Unlike other intakes the SW makes sense from a fluid mechanics point of view. Folks have been using dual velocity stacks for years, so why not apply similar principles to an FI intake? Also the NSX curves on the WR website make sense in terms of the design nexus of the intake and are consistent with the torque/horsepower curves of the stock engine.

Procedure - Because of the age of the Legend, the tech recommended an intake cleaning before installation. He showed me the amount of goop - kinda like brake dust - that he removed from the intake after the stock airbox, etc., was removed. He basically used 5 fresh rags befor it was clean to his satisfaction. Takeaway - consider such a cleaning before installing any new intake and perhaps periodically (30k miles) with the stock system.

Cons - I found the two people at WR I spoke to to give conflicting information re: the cold air box. The Acura tech who installed the SW (and attempted to install the CAB) was disappointed with the quality and fit of the supplied hoses. Two of the hoses were too short, one was too long, and the ID of the other was not suitable for the two diffferent ends. There were no metal burrs. He also had to adapt one of the connections because no work-around was offered. Finally. the cold airbox that WR said would fit did not fit the car no matter what. The tech described the entire set up as "not Acura quality." I think the fellow who signed the WR QA certificate should be reprimanded.

Pros - After installation I was very pleased with the lack of noise the intake makes under regular driving conditions. Frankly it cannot be told from stock if the hood is closed. Only when I downshift or accelerate briskly does the intake make a lovely growl that many of my female companions kinda like..and certainly do not find fatiguing or objectionable. The growl goes away to stock-level silence as soon as you go into steady state speed at any reasonable/semi legal rate. Getting on the throttle definitely makes the car spin up faster, with some seat of the pants effect. The biggest overall effect is that my gas mileage has gone up 10% even though I am driving in a more sporty fashion. I have also added a bottle of Techron every other tankful for some time so I am sure every little bit helps when it comes to intake maintenance....

Overall - I am pleased with the design principles, performance and noise level of the WR. It has exceeded my expectations in this regard.
I am disappointed with the factory support, the cold air box (the dealer wouldn't take it back - I knew this going in - so I sold it on the Legend BB at a discount to a non-TCS owner who is happy,) the supplied hoses, and the lack of instructions and parts to adapt part of the Legend system to the intake.

Suggestion - Perhaps WR could re-evaluate their pre-sales support, QA procedures/personnel, and instructions. Clearly, they need to supply proper, Acura quality hoses with what is clearly a superior design and execution of the main system (filter and intake). I know they deal with a lot of NOPI folks but NSX and Legend owners are not dopi.

Nevertheless, when I do the 30k mile inspection I will definitely consider installing a SW on the NSX.

Have fun,
Ivanj

Last edited:
The airbox is not designed for your car. Those airboxes are designed for Legend's without TCS. Glad you like the intake though :)

http://www.sromagazine.com/shop/productlisting982-7742.html

1991-95 ACURA LEGEND V6 Weapon-R Aluminum Cold Air Box

** Vehicles with No Traction Control Only.

ivanj said:
Greetings-

I am new to the Forum so please bear with me as I offer my opinion.

I own a 2003 NSX T 6 speed with 27k miles stock. I have a Weapon-R on my 94 Legend LS 6 spd with TCS and 92k miles. I will describe my experience with the Secret Weapon on the Legend:

Procedure - Unlike other intakes the SW makes sense from a fluid mechanics point of view. Folks have been using dual velocity stacks for years, so why not apply similar principles to an FI intake. Also the NSX curves on the WR website make sense in terms of the design nexus of the intake and are consistent with the design of the stock engine.

Because of the age of the car, the tech recommended an intake cleaning before installation. He showed me the amount of goop - kinda like brake dust - that he removed from the intake after the stock airbox, etc., was removed. He basically used 5 fresh rags befor it was clean to his satisfaction. Takeaway - consider such a celaning before installing any new intake and perhaps periodically (30k miles) with the stock system.

Cons - I found the two people at WR I spoke to to give conflicting information re: the cold air box. The tech who installed it was little disappointed with the quality and fit of the supplied hoses. Two of the hoses were too short, one was too long, and the ID of the other was not suitable for the two diffferent ends. There were no metal burrs. He also had to adapt one of the connections because no work-around was offered. Finally. the cold airbox that WR said would fit did not fit the car no matter what. The tech described the entire set up as "not Acura quality." I think the fellow who signed the WR QA certificate should be reprimanded.

Pros - After installation I was very pleased with the lack of noise the intake makes under regular driving conditions. Frankly it cannot be told from stock if the hood is closed. Only when I downshift or accelerate briskly does the intake make a lovely growl that many of my female companions kinda like..and certainly do not find fatiguing or objectionable. The growl goes away to stock-level silence as soon as you go into steady state speed at any reasonable/semi legal rate. Getting on the throttle definitely makes the car spin up faster, with some seat of the pants effect. The biggest overall effect is that my gas mileage has gone up 10% even though I am driving in a more sporty fashion. I have also added a bottle of Techron every other tankful for some time so I am sure every little bit helps when it comes to intake maintenance....

Overall - I am pleased with the design principles, performance and noise level of the WR. It has exceeded my expectations in this regard.
I am disappointed with the factory support, the cold air box (the dealer wouldn't take it back - I knew this going in - so I sold it on the Legend BB at a discount to a non-TCS owner who is happy,) the supplied hoses, and the lack of instructions and parts to adapt part of the Legend system to the intake.

Suggestion - Perhaps WR could re-evaluate their pre-sales support, QA procedures/personnel, instructions, and supply proper, Acura quality hoses with what is clearly a superior design and execution of the main system (filter and intake). I know they deal with a lot of NOPI folks but NSX and Legend owners are not that dopi.

Nevertheless, when I do the 30k mile inspection I will definitely consider installing a SW on the NSX.

Have fun,
Ivanj

ryans said:
The airbox is not designed for your car. Those airboxes are designed for Legend's without TCS. Glad you like the intake though :)

http://www.sromagazine.com/shop/productlisting982-7742.html

1991-95 ACURA LEGEND V6 Weapon-R Aluminum Cold Air Box

** Vehicles with No Traction Control Only.

You are correct. Before I made the CAB purchase I noted the SRO website comments, actually, and decided to call WR to verify.

The person I spoke to there definitely said the SW airbox would fit. A skeptical sort, I then called the tech line at WR to see if the CAB would fit my TCS car and they said it would.

BTW, the service and pricing at SRO is very good. I hope to do business with them in the future with both NSX and Legend needs.

Peace,
Ivanj

Back