• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ring & Pinion

Is there a way to recalibrate speedo/odometer after R/P swap (or for that matter, radical wheel swaps w/larger overall wheel OD)? Or are you guys just living with the speedo error and just using the tach?

Admittedly, speedo accuracy isn't that big a deal, but I'd like mine to remain roughly correct for ticket advoidance...

--twc

Go with the 4.55. If you want to spend that much money for the improvement, might as well go all the way. Me personally don't find it that much different with 4.23.

Try checking them with Gran Turismo 2. See if you like the difference. While this method won't let you get accurate result. But you get the idea.

Ted,
I believe the speedometer won't be affected by the change of R&P. As the sensor for speedo is based on the wheel revolution. Changing the R&P simply put different engine revolution at any given speed. Same principal as you changing the size of wheel/tire on the rear. But this way you affect the speedo reeding as this affect the wheel revolution.

Because of nsxtasy criticism, I went back and edit my post
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Andrie Hartanto (edited 15 January 2001).]

If u want to spend

if u like the difference

won't let u get accurate result.

But u get the idea.

u changing the size of wheel/tire

this way u affect the speedo

Hey, that R&P must make you go so fast that you leave two thirds of the letters off of your words!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 15 January 2001).]

IMHO, I would go with the 4.23r&p, with the 5spd.
I have a 6spd.with 4.55r&p on my 91 and it's great because you have the extra gear for when your going on long trips (90mph/4050rpm)

So if your running on the highway with a 5spd and the 4.55's you will be at a higher RPM with the 4.55 than with the 4.23. which may affect yor MPG.

Either setup will make it very noticeable, that you will be glad you did it.

Tach or speedo does not change as the engine RPM is taken via electrics from the engine, and the speed via speed sensor on the front hubs. I have the 4.23 R/P, short gears, Comptech light flywheel and Comptech Powergrip two clutch. If I had to do it again, I'd do the 4.55's, but then again, I don't drive my car in much traffic or as a daily. 4.55's kick arse.

<<Is there a way to recalibrate speedo/odometer after R/P swap (or for that matter, radical wheel swaps w/larger overall wheel OD)? Or are you guys just living with the speedo error and just using the tach?>>

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

Back