• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Road Salt

just wash it .....

washit real good.........

For the underside, you can drive it over a lawn sprinkler.

Mine's been thoroughly exposed to road salt. I had arranged for enclosed transport when I moved from Oregon to PA, but the 2014 Polar Vortex backed up all the shipping by MONTHS.

I didn't want to wait that long, so I just rented a U-Haul trailer and took it myself. In hindsight, I picked a bad weekend to make the drive, but we both survived somehow.

There were times when the only drivers on mountain passes were semis and some idiot in a MDX pulling a NSX :biggrin:

View attachment 149496

View attachment 149495

And sometimes snow comes out of no-where and finds you. This is just north of Atlanta last Friday. No snow forecasted till I was already on the road (3 hour trip) for a scheduled check up. Ended up being 4-6 inches of snow and made driving a real mess. My thanks to Eiffel's Place for getting me in and out on a really miserable day before it got dark. Car did great even on slushy roads with high performance tires - but I was worried about everyone else who was on the road.
IMG_2009.jpg

And sometimes snow comes out of no-where and finds you. This is just north of Atlanta last Friday. No snow forecasted till I was already on the road (3 hour trip) for a scheduled check up. Ended up being 4-6 inches of snow and made driving a real mess. My thanks to Eiffel's Place for getting me in and out on a really miserable day before it got dark. Car did great even on slushy roads with high performance tires - but I was worried about everyone else who was on the road.
View attachment 149551

Sucks that you got stuck in that mess, Fitz! Glad you had a safe journey though.

Summer tires in the snow = asking for trouble.
Put proper snow tires on a NSX and it'll go anywhere (as long as there's less than 4" of snow on the ground...).

Certainly didn't intend to drive in the snow - had I not had an appointment for the NSX would have taken another car that weekend. Good to know that you can "skate by" if you have to. Also found that putting a yard sprinkler under the car got salt and grime off pretty fast.

63443.jpg63455.jpg63459.jpg

Is minor corrosion on some of the bolts underneath a big problem? would it deter you from buying the car that either has been driven on salted roads or spent significant time in coastal areas?

Is minor corrosion on some of the bolts underneath a big problem? would it deter you from buying the car that either has been driven on salted roads or spent significant time in coastal areas?
Technically no problem. But a potential buyer will decide if he likes it or not.
The corrosion on the underbody parts are a good indicator of what the seller is claiming. And any car shows corrosion of that areas I'd check the paint for corrosion very carefully. That's where the real problem is. When the paint gets rubbed of in between the panels which happens over time on any car be prepared to see the corrosion on the outside after some time as well and it will look horrible and it's $$$$$ to repair.

Back