• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rockford, Alpine for Kenwood? need some advice

I don't know what you are talking about. The links you are giving me do not have the Rockfords I am talking about, these are T3's, and they retail at $700/set. I looked at what you are recommending, and I do not feel they are as good. I know the Alpines aren't, I know the 6501 Polks aren't, and I doubt the imagines are. You really don't know these Rockfords (no one does unless you work at RF), I am not sure why you think all these other speakers are better.

as for the amps, I already mentioned the PDXF amps are ones I will go with, I don't think the JL's are better... and they cost a lot more. Money I can't justify. I am already going WAAAAY overboard in a sports car that is loud, rough, and not about luxury. I run my car at the track. I just want to act like the Stig and listen to the Carpenters as I set new lap records. That's why I am buying this stuff. Jim is just jealous because he knows I'm the real Stig and he is just a fat Jeremy Clarkson.

Well the Alpine uses the Vifa Tweeter which is amazing. Polk MM is all around good and cheap and small magnets. The Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine Series has rave reviews everywhere and beats many speakers that are 3~4x its price.

Your Rockford Fosgate T3 is $349 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-Component-Speakers-Totaling/dp/B00548XEKG

Im just giving suggestions, feel free to choose what you think is best for you.

Last edited:
Well the Alpine uses the Vifa Tweeter which is amazing. Polk MM is all around good and cheap and small magnets. The Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine Series has rave reviews everywhere and beats many speakers that are 3~4x its price.

Your Rockford Fosgate T3 is $349 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-Component-Speakers-Totaling/dp/B00548XEKG

Im just giving suggestions, feel free to choose what you think is best for you.

I do appreciate the suggestions... I am just not quite sure how you are recommending these speakers over the Fosgates when you have never heard them, seen them, or seen a review. I know you haven't, because they are that new and there have been none. I can tell you that I am looking at their materials, build, and design, and I have spoken to engineering now, and feel they will be very good. If I don't like them, I already have buyers for them.

I do appreciate the suggestions... I am just not quite sure how you are recommending these speakers over the Fosgates when you have never heard them, seen them, or seen a review. I know you haven't, because they are that new and there have been none. I can tell you that I am looking at their materials, build, and design, and I have spoken to engineering now, and feel they will be very good. If I don't like them, I already have buyers for them.

I recommended the speakers above base on the similar price range that the RF is in.

Last edited:
I recommended the speakers above base on the similar price range that the RF is in.

BUT YOU'VE NEVER HEARD THE FOSGATES!!!

LOL....

I may not do the stereo now anyway, I may have to sell these right away. I just bought a BBK.

If you do not have a sub it is not going to sound that great, trust me. It may be clear and loud but there will be no bass. I have boston acoustic pro 6.5's, Audio Control EQ, Eclipse amp, and iphone for souce. I am set up for a sub, just have not built or bought an enclosure yet. The bostons are excellent speakers as they were previously in my Audi with a full high end stereo but I almost think the overall sound in the NSX was better with the stock system. There just is no bass from the 6.5's and way too much highs even when I adjust the EQ. Even if you added a 6" or 8" compact sub it will make a world of difference. I ocassionally throw a 10" sub box on the passenger floor when going for a cruise and it sounds amazing. If it was a DD the sub would have been done long ago, but for now i mostly listen to the sweet sounds of the engine. Good luck with it!

Dave, another thing to consider is those RF crossovers look HUGE - not going to fit behind the door panel. My Dynaudio x barely fit and it's pretty small.

BTW: if I had to do it all over again, I would go with the best sounding co-axial I could find and be done with it.

Last edited:
I know those X-overs did worry me. I may have to put them elsewhere.

If you do not have a sub it is not going to sound that great, trust me. It may be clear and loud but there will be no bass. I have boston acoustic pro 6.5's, Audio Control EQ, Eclipse amp, and iphone for souce. I am set up for a sub, just have not built or bought an enclosure yet. The bostons are excellent speakers as they were previously in my Audi with a full high end stereo but I almost think the overall sound in the NSX was better with the stock system. There just is no bass from the 6.5's and way too much highs even when I adjust the EQ. Even if you added a 6" or 8" compact sub it will make a world of difference. I ocassionally throw a 10" sub box on the passenger floor when going for a cruise and it sounds amazing. If it was a DD the sub would have been done long ago, but for now i mostly listen to the sweet sounds of the engine. Good luck with it!

A lot of that depends on how they are installed and what they are installed on. I can let you hear 6.5" that pound. Whether they will in this car or not I don't know. I can always add a sub. Thanks for the input. I just have to hear it first.

This neo-mag slim sub is 7lbs. Had one in a 0.3 cu box and it was pretty damn good being driven by the PDX4.150's 3 & 4 bridged.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_21&products_id=106
86_large.jpg

$70 and it really beats the hell out the Earthquake SWS I replaced it with at the recommendation of several Primers. Wish I had kept it.
Looks like it's on "backorder".

But this Tang Band looks mighty similar....
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-862

Oh, they have an 8" too now.... 3.74lbs!
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-895

And WTF is this? 3" sub? Plays to 65hz????
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-877

6-1/2" sub. Weighs 2.9 lbs and plays to 30hz. :)
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-907

Last edited:
BUT YOU'VE NEVER HEARD THE FOSGATES!!!

LOL....

I may not do the stereo now anyway, I may have to sell these right away. I just bought a BBK.

The reason I recommended those speakers and amps earlier, because I have heard and agreed by many others that they will sure have a decent result.

Last edited:
I know those X-overs did worry me. I may have to put them elsewhere.

Think that process through....I was bound and determined to run new wiring altogether from my amp , even through I was mounting my crossovers behind the door panels....after struggling with trying to feed the new wire through the factory rubber grommets and assembly, I gave up and used the factory wiring.

If you mount the crossover elsewhere , you'll likely have to run at least one set of wires (for either woofer or tweeter) from the cross over that is mounted elsewhere. Not a fun process.

QUOTE FRO CL 65 Captain - BTW: if I had to do it all over again, I would go with the best sounding co-axial I could find and be done with it.

I agree, I ended up mounting my tweeter in the same general area as the woofer, just aiming upwards slightly. It would elliminate cross need and finding spot for tweeter. (which I realize may reduce quality a bit given the crossover won't be as complex) but for all the reasons stated, (loud car, source of music, etc) a really good coaxial with tilting tweeter would be just about as sweet in the end.

Also, I can't say enough about my 10" Pioneer flat sub in the Angus box...just this past weekend did a lot of sound tweaking to the system, and ran a bass test CD through its paces...this thing was smooth and loud all the way down the Fq's....when crossed over at just the right point with my 6.5" Focals, it is not far off many of the far more complex competition systems I have done over the years. This is definitely the kind of car to "keep it simple" in....I just went out and gave it a listen with sub off, and full range through the Focals - sounds thin and too bright, something missing for sure...you need that 25 - 70 hz for a full sound.

You could add the ZeToolman subbox and remove it at the track. It's not mounted to anything, it's just sort of wedged firmly in the footwell. You already have the amp, so the only additional weight would be weight of the speaker wire from the amp to the sub which is minimal (<1lb).

If you put wire quick disconnects on it would be super simiple. Just something to consider

You could add the ZeToolman subbox and remove it at the track. It's not mounted to anything, it's just sort of wedged firmly in the footwell. You already have the amp, so the only additional weight would be weight of the speaker wire from the amp to the sub which is minimal (<1lb).

If you put wire quick disconnects on it would be super simiple. Just something to consider

Never thought of that. If it's easy then I could remove it for track days. Hmmm...

Wish I would have found this thread prior to us hanging out last week. Wow buddy, you are going to be DA BIG DOG BOMB-DIGGITY at the next Hot Import Nights.

You sure you don't want Xzibit to get involved? It's not too late!!!

Last edited:
Wish I would have found this thread prior to us hanging out last week. Wow buddy, you are going to be DA BIG DOG BOMB-DIGGITY at the next Hot Import Nights.

You sure you don't want Xzibit to get involved? It's not too late!!!

These are all repercussions of your turning into a snob about NHMS.

Jim you really liked the Elemental designs better than the SWS?

The Tang Band is very light. I like ones with a Neodymium motor. I have an account at parts express and get an evern deeper discount but $70 for the elemental is CHEAP.

I think one of these two, if there is some consensus it is better than the SWS?

Hijacker, I think just replacing the Bose driver is a waste of time and will probably yield worse results with the Bose amp and cabinet configuration.

Back