• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rumored: Mini NSX

Mini Acura NSX Back on the Table
Acura-Small-NSX-front-three-quarters.jpg

While the stillborn, V-10-powered NSX was being developed, Honda was also working on a related and obscure project referred to internally as the Small NSX. At the time it was just 1 of several advanced R&D ideas sitting in the design room. Then the financial crisis hit, causing Honda to kill the NSX and shelve all other sports car projects. But Honda has since rebounded, and as we know, the NSX has been reborn as an all-wheel drive hybrid. Now we're hearing the Small NSX may be back on the drawing board as well.

While the words "Small NSX" may conjure up visions of a successor to the S2000, our inside source tells us this is not the case, and that it will look much like a shrunken version of the big-boy NSX, something along the lines of the car you see in this artist's impression. Our source also tells us that like the NSX, it will be equipped with a version of Honda's SH-AWD system.

Power will likely be provided by a turbocharged direct-injection engine. Honda currently has a number of engines that could fit the bill, including the 3.5-liter V-6, 2.4-liter I-4, and 2.0-liter I-4 already offered in several of its American-market products. Given Honda's America-focused development, overseas engines such as its 660cc and 1.0-liter mills are unlikely to be considered. Of the possible 3, the 2.4-liter is the most likely candidate. There's also the possibility that it will be fitted with some kind of hybrid drivetrain.

Our source also tells us the Small NSX will make use of a number of parts from the NSX to help recoup development costs. Given that both cars will be developed at Honda of America's R&D center in Ohio (we're told that in July Honda HQ assigned several of its top test drivers and engineers to the facility for a 5-year stint), it's a logical move. The NSX remains on track to return for the 2015 model year. If it's indeed green-lit, the Small NSX could follow a year or 2 afterward, before the drivers and engineers head home in 2017. Don't expect it to be a bargain sports car, however. Given the amount of DNA it's likely to share with the NSX, the Small NSX would likely cost between $50,000 and $60,000.

While the stillborn, V-10-powered NSX was being developed, Honda was also working on a related and obscure project referred to internally as the Small NSX. At the time it was just 1 of several advanced R&D ideas sitting in the design room. Then the financial crisis hit, causing Honda to kill the NSX and shelve all other sports car projects. But Honda has since rebounded, and as we know, the NSX has been reborn as an all-wheel drive hybrid. Now we're hearing the Small NSX may be back on the drawing board as well.

While the words "Small NSX" may conjure up visions of a successor to the S2000, our inside source tells us this is not the case, and that it will look much like a shrunken version of the big-boy NSX, something along the lines of the car you see in this artist's impression. Our source also tells us that like the NSX, it will be equipped with a version of Honda's SH-AWD system.

Power will likely be provided by a turbocharged direct-injection engine. Honda currently has a number of engines that could fit the bill, including the 3.5-liter V-6, 2.4-liter I-4, and 2.0-liter I-4 already offered in several of its American-market products. Given Honda's America-focused development, overseas engines such as its 660cc and 1.0-liter mills are unlikely to be considered. Of the possible 3, the 2.4-liter is the most likely candidate. There's also the possibility that it will be fitted with some kind of hybrid drivetrain.

Our source also tells us the Small NSX will make use of a number of parts from the NSX to help recoup development costs. Given that both cars will be developed at Honda of America's R&D center in Ohio (we're told that in July Honda HQ assigned several of its top test drivers and engineers to the facility for a 5-year stint), it's a logical move. The NSX remains on track to return for the 2015 model year. If it's indeed green-lit, the Small NSX could follow a year or 2 afterward, before the drivers and engineers head home in 2017. Don't expect it to be a bargain sports car, however. Given the amount of DNA it's likely to share with the NSX, the Small NSX would likely cost between $50,000 and $60,000.

Very interesting! It looks like it could be a direct competitor to the Lotus Elise/Exige. Time will tell if this is more than a rumor but it's encouraging, to say the least. Honda so badly need to re-establish itself with competitive cars.

Wow! In my opinion, that looks leaps and bounds better than the 2nd gen NSX!

Front reminds me of the Saturn Sky

GM_LC_d_2009_Saturn_Sky_Redline-300x224.jpg

Good idea...recoup some sunk costs, fill a market niche, and attract younger buyers.

But the pic of the concept is uglier than sin. The magazine peeps have got to do a better job than photochoping parts of existing cars.

Looks too much like a rx8 with a bodykit. Its the star of TF&TF9 straight off the lot!

This is a quick artist rendition or personal passion project. If Honda is making a mini NSX, it is not going to look anything like that. As long as the engine is still behind the driver, than I will be excited to see how it takes shape... Otherwise, they might as well call it the S2000 successor.

Sorry but NSX = NA V6. I would love a compact mid-engine turbo K24 car from Honda (sort of like a modern MR2 deluxe...) but don't call it an NSX.

+1, what bngl3rt said,coconut,n spec,OneRedNSX,Ponyboy,arista5, nukem and probably all other posts to come; Man primers pretty much think alike or we are just tough critics.:biggrin:

I already have a mini nsx. It's a hybrid plug-in that's half electric and half push powered and it says "good sale" on the sides.

for a second i was thinking the next generation acura integra.

that thing looks pretty ugly to me and in some ways reminds of the of ZDX

The article said the car is internally referred to as a "small nsx". If it makes production, it sure as hell won't be called the nsx.

50-60k? Speaking from a guy who just went out and actually spent my hard earned money on a BRZ, they are addressing the wrong market. 25-30k... That's the sweet spot Honda!

The only two cars I can remember Honda producing in that price range are Prelude VTEC and Integra. Anything else I'm missing?

The only two cars I can remember Honda producing in that price range are Prelude VTEC and Integra. Anything else I'm missing?
I don't think Honda needs to look too far past the S2000. If Toyobaru can produce the BRZ/FR-S/GT86 for ~$25k then it can be done. The dealers can't keep these on the lot. Socal dealers are marking these up $5k-6.5k with all other future allocations for 2012 spoken for. Of course, there are exceptions but I drove 1200 miles to get mine. With this said.. I think the BRZ is at least $2-3k too expensive still. It breaks my heart that Honda didn't produce this awesome little car.

IMHO the NSX2.0 will be a halo car just like the GT-R and LFA is. They need to produce a mass-market sports car which is what I thought this thread was about until I saw the projected 50-60k price tag :eek:

Last edited:
I see a lot of posts talking about how this thing looks......

You do realize that you are commenting on an under paid intern's artist rendition, RIGHT?!?!?!?

Besides, this thing is vaporware. I call bullshit and am willing to put $$$ on it.

Back