• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RUSH is a true RUSH

I previewed RUSH this weekend with Richard Browns NYU Movies 101 class. RUSH is amazing with not a wasted moment. Ron Howard has done a fantastic job detailing the lives, loves and competitive spirit of Hunt and Lauda and this is one of the best "Sports Movies" I have seen in a very long time.
Even people who don't know anything about F1 or racing will enjoy this film because of the realism and presentation of the key characters who were very different in their day to day lifestyle but were so similar in their drive to be a World Champion.
It opens in general distribution this weekend and I know you will all enjoy the film while being drawn into the competitive spirit and comraderie that was part of the F1 world in the 70's.

Thanks for the review.

I'm looking forward to it, although don't know if I'll catch it in theaters or just wait for the DVD.

Saw it today, I liked it. I wasn't around during this rivalry I grew up with the Senna/Prost rivalry. However I plan on buying this on Blu-ray when it comes out.

Great movie telling a great story. A must-see.

Rush; The movie was ok, Ron Howard should have watched LEMANS a few times before making this movie. It is missing the racecar interaction with the F1 SOUND.
You don't think he did? He said in an interview that casting the male actors was very important to the overall success of the movie to appeal to the female audience. Iirc LeMans and grand Prix were box office flops while being awesome for a small target audience.

The sound of the cars in rush were awesome and I think the movie painted a great portrait of f1 in the 70sand hopefully movies like this and even the movie "Turbo" help to create more racing fans.

Last edited:
Outstanding movie. Great character development and I really felt like it was 1976 again. Costumes, cars, music etc. was spot on. Daniel Bruhl's performance as Nikki Lauda is Oscar worthy. You don't have to love racing to appreciate this movie but it certainly helps! Don't wait for it to come out on video. The place to see this movie is in the theater!

Very good film, definitely. The movie did a great job going through different moods without dragging on unnecessarily long. I am going to see it next week again and if the second viewing is just as good (I suspect it will be) I'll pick this up. Highly recommended.

That is exactly right, Stuntman. Howard's main objective, like all filmmakers, is to make the movie a viewing success. It would not be if it only addressed the wants of racing enthusiasts and "car people".
He had to strike a balance between attracting the average movie goer who knows very little about racing and the hard core guy who's salivating over exhaust sounds. It is the regular movie goer that is expected to bring money to the box office. I remember reading that more than half of the people who paid to see Field of Dreams, a Costner baseball movie had never been to a baseball game. (including me).

Having been an adult F1 fan in the 70's, my only complaint is that the animosity between Lauda and Hunt portrayed in the movie was a script fabrication, grossly exaggerated. Lauda has said it himself. Perhaps Howard should have paid him to keep his mouth shut about his friendship with Hunt.

An interview in Autoweek with Lauda actually addressed that. Lauda did indeed agree that the drama with Hunt was hyped up for Hollywood, but overall he was still happy with the movie because the essence of his friendship with Hunt was summarized well in the last few moments of the film.

because the essence of his friendship with Hunt was summarized well in the last few moments of the film.

I liked it and, in particular, the final moments are what make the film for me. I too was unfamiliar with the Hunt / Lauda rivalry as it predates my interest in cars.

I was disappointed there wasn't more visual emphasis on their on-track rivalry...with only a couple of exceptions, it felt like Ron Howard glossed over the actual racing part; he relied too heavily upon title cards to illustrate where Hunt and Lauda placed within each race. This aspect of the film could have been handled so much better.

Still, very enjoyable...and I suspect the choices Howard made will make the film appeal more to a non racing enthusiast crowd for sure.

Last edited:
i had a little input/inside scoop to the film, i work for the tiny firm that made the wheels for the replica race cars (showcased nicely when we get to see the 2 BRM parked beside the track and the stack of wheels behind James when he gets introduced to the F1 car!) :)

Ron Howard said that if you want an accurate retelling of the events of the '76 season, then watch a documentary, as he is a storyteller, telling the story of 2 men who happen to be racing drivers!! i'm sure Apollo 13 wasn't a 100% accurate portrayal.

obviously there is a dollop of hollywood artistic licence for some aspects, but as a whole it gets across the 2 different approaches, the raw nature of the racing, and shows what a bunch of pampered lightweights the drivers of today are!

great film, and Daniel deserves an oscar!

and yes, the final moments brought a tear to the eye!

Last edited:
Britlude, Congrats on having a hand (or a wheel) in the movie. I will watch for those rims on my second viewing :)
I also agree on Daniel's performance; oscar caliber. Do you know how they disposed of the replicas after the wrap up?

Reading all of this makes me want to go see it in theaters.

Actually had a chance Friday night as I knew some people going and the girlfriend was out of town, but it had been a long long long day at work.

it definitely needs to be seen on the big screen, just to be immersed in the whole thing! as far a i know the cars are still being used for film promotions, tho there is a queue forming to get hold of them!

here's a stack of freshly finished ferrari replica fronts, and BRM fronts..
160120122035 [800x600].jpg

a mixed selection! BRM front and rears ferrari odd stepped rears to clear outboard brakes but still look like cone rims from the outside!
160120122034 [800x600].jpg

and the replica ferrari cars by Rob Austin Racing
bb_r021.jpg

...not bad as they are based on a couple of old formula renault!!!

WDK motorsport built the McLarens, Hesketh, Mirage Engineering the BRM, and others! we had to make about 20 sets of wheels!

Last edited:
Just saw it this evening
I REALLY appreciated the attention to detail.......Cars, Costumes, vibe, was spot on for the 1970's. Production designer deserves an
Oscar

Acting is amazing.......Daniel B becomes Lauda.........Hemsworth is great too

I thought the racing sequences could have been better..........The F1 cars of that era were so extremely fast and dangerous......LeMans is 43 years older than Rush and did a better job at capturing speed on film

However,Rush is a great movie

Last edited:
Just saw it this evening
I REALLY appreciated the attention to detail.......Cars, Costumes, vibe, was spot on for the 1970's. Production designer deserves an
Oscar

Acting is amazing.......Daniel B becomes Lauda.........Hemsworth is great too

I thought the racing sequences could have been better..........The F1 cars of that era were so extremely fast and dangerous......LeMans is 43 years older than Rush and did a better job at capturing speed on film

However,Rush is a great movie

Yep!

FYI for those who haven't seen it yet (or want to see it again), there will be an 8pm showing of Rush at the Regal Cinemas right next to NSXPO on Friday. Those in town for NSXPO should join in!

The characters are just not that interesting. No wonder it's tanking at the box office.

The characters are just not that interesting. No wonder it's tanking at the box office.
Seriously??? How can you find James Hunt 'not interesting'? I'm guessing you were not around or aware back in '76?

I was 17yrs old and a wild eyed F1 fanatic (somethings never change) and I remember Lauda's crash like it was yesterday, along with Villeneuve's & Senna's etc.
I thought R Howard captured the characters & the era very well & I'll definitely be buying the dvd for my collection next to Grand Prix & LeMans.

Back