• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S/C NSX That Much Faster Than Stock?

You're in Socal. Actually, right near me. If you go to the Socal meets 1 out of 5ish NSXs (shooting from the hip) that attend are boosted.

I've personally had the pleasure of driving a CTSC Autorotor/Laminova vs. Angus' kit. You can do all the bench racing for initial research purposes but nothing beats a live test drive even if just to be a passenger.

What were the results?

What were the results?
They were both impressive but a comparo between the two was premature at the time. The CTSC setup was well sorted and running on JDM short gears. The Angus Turbo had just been freshly installed and in need of a tuning session.

I can only comment fairly on the CTSC setup. It was a beast (and I drive a muscle car!) It was smooth and very linear. If that's what 400hp feels like.. then daddy wants! Although, for my driving style I may want the stock USDM gears in a SC setup

I can't wait for a 2nd turn in the Angus kit. It's lighter on the wallet and the dyno curves look nice for a turbo (not far off from stock).

Having raced a CTSC and an angus turbo, I can tell I got beat by the CTSC, I got KILLED by the angus.
Maybe it won out on the top end? I'm guessing this was more like a drag race?

I find that when choosing to go FI, I have a lot more to think about than just how each performs in a straight line. Personally, I love the throttle response of a SC and the low end grunt between 2500-5k rpm.

Maybe it won out on the top end? I'm guessing this was more like a drag race?

I find that when choosing to go FI, I have a lot more to think about than just how each performs in a straight line. Personally, I love the throttle response of a SC and the low end grunt between 2500-5k rpm.

Yes it was a drag race.

No doubt the CTSC feels a lot stronger at 2500 RPM. At 4500RPM though its the beginning of the end against the angus.

Yes it was a drag race.

No doubt the CTSC feels a lot stronger at 2500 RPM. At 4500RPM though its the beginning of the end against the angus.

what boost were both CTSC and angus running?

if it's not the same boost it's already an unfair comparison.......

what boost were both CTSC and angus running?

if it's not the same boost it's already an unfair comparison.......

Batmans is right .... typically a 8 psi turbo will produce ~400rwhp. A SOS intercooled supercharger can produce similar numbers on a with a 9 psi belt (which will read around 7.6 - 8 psi due to boost drop via intercooler). With no intercooler that same 9 psi will get you around 380 rwhp.

Also non-intercooled superchargers pull timing as they get hot. The NSX turbos kits out now run lower iat then even intercooled NSX --- so they get the full timing they were programmed for.

I believe regular supercharged cars in the real world without intercoolers run must less then their dyno numbers. Even my SOS intercooled supercharger will pull 2 degrees timing in 100+ degree weather --- but my iats are almost the same even if I do many full-throttle runs to get data that I'm logging from my AEM.

During NSXPO I was behind a turbo NSX (widebody custom grey paint single exhaust) going up to Mt Charleston and every time he went WOT so did I and he never walked away. It did help that it was much cooler in Vegas and when I looked at my data logs later my iats never got hot enough to pull timing.

During NSXPO I was behind a turbo NSX (widebody custom grey paint single exhaust) going up to Mt Charleston and every time he went WOT so did I and he never walked away. It did help that it was much cooler in Vegas and when I looked at my data logs later my iats never got hot enough to pull timing.

Not sure which car you were in, but I never did any WOT pulls with someone behind me (and I keep a close eye on my mirrors) on my way up to Mt Charleston...Keep in mind my car is very loud and it may sound like I am WOT when I am not. Not saying your car isn't fast (don't even know which one it is). But lets not go saying things that can't be proved.

LOL

dude I have no idea who you are so I am sorry for sounding rude....but if the only thing you are running is a SOS SC system...even if it has the IC kit I PROMISE YOU there is no way your 450HP kit would hang with the grey car you mentioned....

this is my old car which I built myself...no crappy kits and then sold to SFDreamer...

I live here in AZ, and have been in many many many SOS SC cars....no way.

I think the last dyno I had on the car was 675-680 hp and 500 lbs of tq....

I regularly beat up lambo G, lambo 560 and even the lambo 640.....

SF Dreamer who owns it now get TONS of crap from me as he NEVER TAKES IT WOT....NEVER.....so
A) if you were driving beside him, he didn’t even know you existed
B) Stephen I am sure would not embarrass you by walking you (another issue I give him crap for)

Last edited:
Also…FWIW..
I built this turbo kit in my garage, myself..after everyone here on the boards said it could not be done…that it would blow up…it would never last….ETC, ETC….
Well I put about 20-25,000 miles on it, and I BEAT THE HELL out of it every mile.
I then sold it to Stephen who has put maybe 10-15000 miles on it and he drives it hard also…
Never look at IAT (no need as it was designed properly)
Never look at boost creep or waste gate walk (no need see above)
No need to look at fuel PSI (again, above)
Etc, etc, etc….

Sorry to sound like an ass but it amazing that the cars have been pushed as far as they have in the last 3 years (I like to feel that I helped push that envelope) and yet, even with all this advancement and understanding the same old questions and silly answers are still prevalent.

Last edited:
To Omega2's question on why $4K for labor. Although my NSX just turned over 20,000 miles it is 8 years old. The Acura dealer recommended changing the timing belt which is probably a good idea. The dealer's price for replacing the timing belt is $2,800. I've called a couple of shops to get quotes for changing the timing belt, installing the CTSC kit and a new clutch. The price is around $4K. Does that seem too high?

If your having a bunch of other stuff done at the same time, the higher labor makes sense. If anything, it's logical to do everything all at once while the engine is out and everything is exposed. At least that's usually what I end up doing.

Not sure which car you were in, but I never did any WOT pulls with someone behind me (and I keep a close eye on my mirrors) on my way up to Mt Charleston...Keep in mind my car is very loud and it may sound like I am WOT when I am not. Not saying your car isn't fast (don't even know which one it is). But lets not go saying things that can't be proved.
I heard the car was fast but the driver was slow.

ooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooh! lol

this thread needed some humor :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Also…FWIW..
I built this turbo kit in my garage, myself..after everyone here on the boards said it could not be done…that it would blow up…it would never last….ETC, ETC….
Well I put about 20-25,000 miles on it, and I BEAT THE HELL out of it every mile.
I then sold it to Stephen who has put maybe 10-15000 miles on it and he drives it hard also…
Never look at IAT (no need as it was designed properly)
Never look at boost creep or waste gate walk (no need see above)
No need to look at fuel PSI (again, above)
Etc, etc, etc….

Sorry to sound like an ass but it amazing that the cars have been pushed as far as they have in the last 3 years (I like to feel that I helped push that envelope) and yet, even with all this advancement and understanding the same old questions and silly answers are still prevalent.

I commend you on thinking outta the box and designing and building a turbo solution that works.

However, not to sound rude, but I'm not "EVERYONE" in your aforementioned blanket statement.

Sorry OP, back to being on topic:

If you want, hit me up via PM and I can get you set up with a ride with in a SC or Turbo here in SoCal.

Get the CTSC for $11K, only.

For the other $10K you are chasing an additional 10% of performance. Don't worry about it (unless it doesn't matter, then it doesn't)

It will be legal in CA and you will get 90% of what you desire, and that is a pretty good compromise. The brakes and clutch are more than adequate. There is no labor savings in headers or exhaust.

The reason most people install headers or intake is not because it add much power, is that because the cost of a CTSC has "high utility" (meaning the $11K can be spent on a lot of other things that have better lifestyle or investment value).

So people really spend a ~$1K on headers/intake/exhaust because it does <i>something</i> and gives good value via bling or personalization.

There is no better value per power unit than FI, and the only FI in California is CTSC style.

Good Luck

Drew

I was running 7 psi when I "raced" Netviper.

Apples and Oranges really when it come to comparing the two systems.

OK. makes sense, it was a CTSC.

With a SOS SC I'm going to guess that the power are much closer.

u running full exhaust or with cats?

How about NetViper at the time?

I commend you on thinking outta the box and designing and building a turbo solution that works.

However, not to sound rude, but I'm not "EVERYONE" in your aforementioned blanket statement.

LOL hey batman...you are correct you are not included in the blanket "everyone" as this was before your time my friend....

its pretty funny how rude and ignorant some of the people are on this forum (especially BITD)....look up some of my first posts.....04 some time....its a funnt read how many internet experts there were (are) :)

LOL hey batman...you are correct you are not included in the blanket "everyone" as this was before your time my friend....

its pretty funny how rude and ignorant some of the people are on this forum (especially BITD)....look up some of my first posts.....04 some time....its a funnt read how many internet experts there were (are) :)

WHen I left the RX7 community and joined the NSX community I noticed that the demographics on here are mostly ignorant, arrogant and not very technically savy.

Not to mention the least most of the NSX owners don't do much beyond a simple oil change.

They here Honda and VTEC and assume all is good.

Originally posted by BATMANs:
When I left the RX7 community and joined the NSX community I noticed that the demographics on here are mostly ignorant, arrogant and not very technically savy.

Not to mention the least most of the NSX owners don't do much beyond a simple oil change.

Well that's a pretty fu_ _ _ _ _ good start. :mad: I do resent you're perception of who we are on this forum and find it to be quite different. I've driven most cars out there in one way or another and have gotten to know a lot of people in their respective automotive marques, but I've found no group more open, friendly and even extremely technically savvy. It's just some of us don't have to wear it on our shoulders as some form of badge for everyone to salute. If anything, I find most people who do have that knowledge are more than willing to share it will little or no agenda on their parts. This is a great community to be involved with if you love this car. Enough said.

Al T.

Last edited:
WHen I left the RX7 community and joined the NSX community I noticed that the demographics on here are mostly ignorant, arrogant and not very technically savy.

Funny, I thought the same about you

I'm laughing at the turn this thread is taking..

Marc! (Black01s4) thought you dropped off the planet. Never call.. never write.. boohoosnifflesniffle!

I was thinking the SAME EXACT thing about the "gray widebody that never pulley away" comment.... that thing is stuuuuuupid fast... but hey unless you line up at a light you are never sure if the guy is giving it all he's got, to be fair.

I got me a lil toy you might like. :)

Also…FWIW..

true, every word. especially the beat the hell out of it comment :biggrin: and the built in the garage.. literally...

ahh the good old days..bet you haven't forgotten (marc) who told the others to shut their pie holes!! lol..

Well that's a pretty fu..... good start. :mad: I do resent you're perception of who we are on this forum and find it to be quite different. I've driven most cars out there in one way or another and have gotten to know a lot of people in their respective automotive marques, but I've found no group more open, friendly and even extremely technically savvy. It's just some of us don't have to wear it on our shoulders as some form of badge for everyone to salute. If anything, I find most people who do have that knowledge are more than willing to share it will little or no agenda on their parts. This is a great community to be involved with if you love this car. Enough said.

Al T.

What's FU?

When I had my fd I was cool and wanted to meet the nsx community. Few were cool. But most of the rest looked down on rx7, supras, 3kgt, etc. Since the nsx was more "prestigious"

I see this attitude between na1/na2, pop-up headlights/frog eyes, keep it stock stupid (kiss)/modify it, etc. In woth words the nsx was so reliable that the guys have extra time to cannibalize each other and look down on other less expensive cars. Mkiv guys are known for this from my observations.

Of course I made my fd a 430rwhp on pump gas 2600lbs 4.33RP monster back in 2000ish and targetted herds of nsx's. Even raped a few ctsc ones. Of coures they waited an eternity for my engine to hopefully kaboom.

Back