• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S2000 over NSX as a Honda Classic?

I came across this link on my MSN banner this morning. The title of the article excites me: Top 10 Future Classics --- by MSN Auto

For sure, I was hoping to see NSX on the list. I am sure everyone here has his/her own 10 future classics in mind, and I wanted to see how mine matches this article. I must say that I was stunned by MSN, in a wicked way.

Here is the link, and I listed out the top 10 in the article. I also added my comments behind each.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=1102275

2008 Audi R8 (Okay, I want to disagree, but it does look awesome in Iron Man so I'll let it go)
2000 BMW Z8(007?)
2009 Cadillac CTS-V(Are you kidding? It's nice. It's a M5 rival. But it is not going to be classic. How much is Detroit paying you?)
2009 Corvette ZR1(I actually agree on this one although I wouldn't buy one.)
2007 Dodge Magnum SRT8(Really? o_O? Really??!!)
2009 Dodge Viper ACR
2005 Ford GT
2008 Honda S2000 CR(Yeah, it's unique, it's a milestone for Honda, it may even be faster than the NSX on track. But NSX is obviously the classic between these two.)
2003 Porsche Carrera GT(For sure)
2004 Toyota Prius(erm....classic in a history museum maybe? Or...right...the author of the article drives one....)

So where is Ferrari Enzo? F40? McLaren F1? And if S2k is there, where is NSX?

Looking at that list, I can understand why these cars "might" be future classics because those cars are very low production cars. The S2000-CR was only made for 2 years. Actual sales figures still not available yet but estimated to be much ess than 1000.

I remember earlier this year, dealers were dumping a few new CRs w/AC for around $30k.

Last edited:
I think you may be looking at this from a different angle. For instance, all the cars you listed at the end of your post are probably already* classics. All of them are 14-22 years old and worth more than they were originally sold for. This meets much of the criteria of a 'classic' to most people.

The Magnum will not be a classic nor will the prius, too high of production. The only car with production figures even remotely proportional to those cars that has become a classic is the 240z lineage; and even then that's not a fair comparison because almost all the chassis are rusted to oblivion at this point.

Its a MSN article which to me holds no weight whatsoever.

For me auction results bear more signifigance...

If I were to predict future classics with just taking a stab in the dark:

1. NSX - stock cars with very low mileage
2. Datsun Z cars - same criteria as above
3. Supra TT's - same criteria as above
4. Nissan 300ZX - stock
5. Honda S800 - if you can find any
6. Acura Integra Type R's - stock

Rare cars like these will get the dollars...just think what was popular in our teenage years much like the cars that were popular when our dad's were kids.

The only one on that list above that I would agree with is the Ford GT - that's it. There are others that will be far more collectible than those in my opinion. Prius- man where the heck did that come from - that is lunacy.

The Cadilac CTS-V maybe - low miler in 25 years - might be.

It's hard to tell. But best advice I've ever heard is buy the one you like to drve and if you get lucky then consider it a bonus.

I agree w/ Cameron, eventually we will see an original, low-mileage, unmolested Zanardi bring >$65 K at Barrett-Jackson. S2000's are too common to be collectable.
Original Skyline GTR's will command big $ as well.

MSN lists are always a joke ... I bet they writers are .... nevermind, they just suck ....

I dislike most of the cars except the BMW Z8. It is pretty cool in the Shelby Cobra kind of way. There are very few of them and they were driven by James Bond. Can't beat that.

No way does a S2000 beat out a NSX for a classic. Plus, a NSX is still faster around the track than a S2000 no matter how stock the NSX is.

Back