• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Safety Concerns for the tall

Hey guys

I have a targa, and my head brushes the roof as I am 6'1''. Not only would my skull be fractured if I were rear-ended (as it would hit the portion of the roof where the removable roof meets the frame) but also if I were hit from the passenger side.

I love the car in every possible way, but I feel that this is a serious issue. Unfortunately, I was blinded by the car's good looks/performance when I purchased it and didn't think too much about my own safety. After making several high speed left turns and hitting the roof from my own acceleration, I could only imagine what kind of damage would occur if I were actually T-boned by an escalade.

Any thoughts on the matter? All I can think of is switching out the seats or buying that Dali cushion for the extra 2 inches. I think wearing a helmet all the time would be excessive. :wink:

well I think it may be a legit concern, I love this car too but also wonder about its safety sharing the road with giant SUV's, sitting 3.5" off the ground, the lack of any side or thorax airbags, and its chassis safety designed in 1991.

I feel very safe because of the car's reflexes and active safety, but not so safe by its passive safety. I just drive very carefuly and watch others like a hawk. It may be why I have yet to listen to the radio or use a cell phone in this car.

Everytime an Escalade rolls along next to me on the highway my balls are pretty much in my throat.

better than if you were on a bike though....:smile:

but in the same sense.... you just have to watch everybody else a little more......

I'm only 5'6" tall but whenever I wear a ball cap, my head brushed the roof as well.

Dali Racing (although I warn you that while many love Mark, others hate him) sells a cushion that supposedly lowers the drivers seat by 2". While it only comes in black, I'm sure it could be re-covered and I'm seriously thinking about that option.

Spend some time with the search tab above,you will see many threads on increasing head room and on crash/rollover pics of nsx's.I think Honda did very well designing the car to absorb energy from crashes.

avalon96 said:
Any thoughts on the matter? All I can think of is switching out the seats or buying that Dali cushion for the extra 2 inches. I think wearing a helmet all the time would be excessive. :wink:

Have you tried reclining the seat back a bit? I'm 6'2'' with a targa and dont have this issue.

As far as feeling safe, I would think it largely comes down to physics. The less your car weights, the more you're going to get hurt. I'm coming out of a 2500lb car, so a 3000lb car feels plenty safe. The only problem I see if how low it is and if people dont have their mirrors adjusted right, they wont see you. To combat this, and you should do this regardless, just dont drive in areas where mirrors are needed to see you. Either be in front, in back, or beside.

that's not necessarily true. just cause it's heavier doesnt mean anything. ever see that vid of the chinese SUV (can't remember what it's called). it didn't even get one star on the gov crash test ratings. i'd rather be in a wreck with my civic.

Also, muscle cars were hefty. they don't get messed up as easily, but you want your car to get crumbled to a certain extent so you aren't the one absorbing the crazy forces.

Although I agree on the low visibility of the NSX in general traffic over a more high profile car (literally), I personally do not worry too much about the ability of the NSX-chassis to withstand severe impact from either front or rear.
The only thing that would worry me is in case of a car hitting me from the side exactly in the middle of the door. Although I do not really doubt the strength of the double side-bars in the door or the strenght of the chassis side sill, but the fact that the centre of the hit might be at window-height.
Furthermore, when it by a high car, the NSX might 'dive under' the car in question, bypassing the stress zones built into it.
As far as the NSX chassis is concerned I have no doubt that our NSX is a very, very strong car. If you have a chance, take a look at the chassis bars in a normal sedan, even a modern 'safe' one like a Audi A6 and you will be surprised on how small they are compared with the massive ones in the NSX.
Just last week I saw the chassis 'bars' on a Toyota Prius and they made me laugh. Apart from being little more than two stamped sheet-steel plates spot-welded together, they were small enough that I could wrap around them with both hands.

This thread made me notice yesterday that when seated my head is nowhere near the headrest. It is well above. I am assuming this is really bad... I think I need that Dali cushion. To anyone that has this... is it less comfortable?

TURBO2GO said:
This thread made me notice yesterday that when seated my head is nowhere near the headrest. It is well above. I am assuming this is really bad... I think I need that Dali cushion. To anyone that has this... is it less comfortable?

Interesting, mines the same way. Anyone know of a way to add headrest adjustability to a stock seat?

Back