• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

San Jose Cops do it again....

Its hard to say... its possible that the combination is bad...
not really any one thing. Jim, have you ever been to Silicon Valley?
If not, you really don't understand how bad it is here.

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Kenji,

Since you admit that when you drove beaters you NEVER were pulled over...

It would seem that it has nothing to do with race or ethnicity.

You just might have to watch the speed and put back your front plate.

-Jim

Kenji,

I've been to Silicon Valley - San Jose many, many times. I am very familiar with the areas you mentioned.

My company does a lot of work with Apple and I usually stay at an inexpensive motel on The Alameda. I've probably lived in that area for a total of 6 months.

Of course, I usually drive a rental car.

I can imagine it's upsetting getting pulled over but sometimes you have to look at your own actions. Since you've had problems before, I'm sure driving around without a front plate might be contributing to your problems.

Is it possible that you're being targeted because of race? Sure it is. I imagine this happens all the time. But in this case, I suspect the answer is much simpler.

Now, if you have to go to court, you already have a strike against you when you tell your story to the judge. If you had the front plate, you would have been in a much better position to fight a bogus speeding ticket.

I can certainly understand wanting to drive without a front plate. Pennsylvania is one of the few states that doesn't have front plates. But if you're going to push it, and take your chances, then I think you're just asking for trouble and asking for cops putting your moves under a microscope.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Kenji,
I can imagine it's upsetting getting pulled over but sometimes you have to look at your own actions. Since you've had problems before, I'm sure driving around without a front plate might be contributing to your problems.

Is it possible that you're being targeted because of race? Sure it is. I imagine this happens all the time. But in this case, I suspect the answer is much simpler.

How would you know if its simpler or not? Yes, I agree I should put front license plate and it may reduce my problems. Why didn't he just give me the citation for front plates? Which would have been the right thing to do. Most likely because front plate doesn't generate any revenue. You just sound like you defending cops that cite people for the wrong things. If you research online, California generates $1 billion annually on traffic citations. I'm sure I"m not the only person who is getting hassled for things they havn't done... it is a bigger problem then we all think IMO. A single ticket can generate over $1000 for the parties involved... insurance agencies etc. Its fubar... I have never been involved in a automobile accident and am by far one of the safest drivers I know. People who cause accidents should be the ones that pay.

Kenji,

I'm not defending the cops...but I am pointing out that you're not helping yourself here.

You complain about the cops engaging in racial profiling....but then you contradict yourself by pointing out that when you drove older, less flashy cars you NEVER got pulled over. So, I guess the racial profiling theory is not the case. I don't believe this has anything to do with you being half Asian or half White.

Cops are human. They get annoyed. They see someone, perhaps repeatedly, driving an expensive, flashy car without a front plate and they're going to pay even more attention to your actions. It's just the way it is.

Perhaps you weren't speeding. But now that you've already exhibited (to the judge too) a propensity to break the law by driving without a front plate, you're not now in a good position to defend yourself, are you?

You can whine and moan and claim racial profiling, or how the state generates funds, or your accident record, etc, but now you're in a situation where it's not going to be as easy to defend.

I'd much rather go in front of a judge without the burden of the "front plate issue" and make the cop prove you were going over the speed limit. It's your word against the cop's and now the judge has one mark against you already.

Again, I'm not saying you were speeding or that the cops weren't over zealous. But I am saying that it sounds to me like your actions played a big role and if you're going to take chances (i.e. driving without a front plate) then pay your ticket and stop complaining.

Or...take them to court and have your case heard.

-Jim

PS: Are you still driving without a front plate?

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Jeez Kenji,

Not again?!? Sorry to hear. I have been able to beat this situation by just not going out after dark.
smile.gif
My new domestic life has me seeing far less clubs these days, but you are right about needing to be careful in the area. Saratoga is SWARMING with cops. I am always at the speed limit around the house . . .

Kevin

SJPD can be very hard to deal with. Most likely that officer needed to meet his monthly quota for citations. I guess you just seem to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. My neighbor has an NSX and hasn't had a ticket yet and we live in East SJ. But he doesn't drive it as often I guess. Good luck on fighting the ticket.

------------------
'91 300ZX TT

Back