• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Sand Blasted My NSX - Advice Needed

1) probably not.

2) their system is all screwed up and does not represent reality. Away of settling on the cheap.

3) I would say you estimates are closer to what it would take to paint the whole car properly. (Ask me how I know!!)

4) hard to say, they can be expensive.

Good luck.....

Again, I pointed out the remaining omissions and was told "this is our final offer".
Not necessarily true. The most important thing is that you don't sign or settle until you're satisfied that the insurance company is doing their job.

Their job is to "make you whole". Say those words to the claims person the next time you talk to them.

They can't close that claim without your cooperation and insurance companies hate open claims, so stick to your guns.

Employers Mutual Group finally called me and offered $4100 dollars to repaint my NSX. They "will only cover the actual panels that they directly damaged". Of course when I went over their estimate, they had omitted several of the damaged panels....gas cap, rear bumper cover, roof, etc...etc. I pointed out the omissions and they raised their offer to $5600 but still left out a few items. Again, I pointed out the remaining omissions and was told "this is our final offer".
This is all partly due to the moron they hired to come look at the car and then told me the car obviously needs a "complete paint" and then recommends $4100 to EMG. What a worm.

This leads me to a few questions:

1) Can they match the exsisting R-77 paint?

2) How come I have to get real estimates but they can quote some mysterious system that says it takes less than a third of my estimates to repair my car. Where are their real estimates?

3) Is $5600 a realistic figure? My estimates were $12800 and $14800.

4) Do I need to get a lawyer?

1) they can buy the paint from honda and use a gas-fired booth and if they are skilled you will get a 'factory like' finish in appearance but not in full application process.

2) you can simply take a car to the shop of your choice, give them the estimate and the shop will write their own ammendments to get the money- they will. take yourself out of the loop as your opinion on cost is not 'valid' to the insurance, the 'experts' have to issue a claim.

3) thats a fair price for a complete repaint at a regular shop that does good work on better cars. if you start dealing with people that are more talented and your expectations are higher then the price will go up. honestly, anything above $8000 on a nsx for primo job (and i mean with factory smooth coat with no wet-sand and buff-out) is just padding somebody's ego.

4) if the shop of your choice is unable to get the estimate ammended then you will need a lawyer. the problem is that right now your insurance is trying to 'pay you off' cheaper than it will cost them to sue the guilty party.

keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
My God this is so painful to read, I am so .... so angry and sorry :( .... yesterday I got almost rear ended bad (I had time to glue my car to the one on front, the SUV person behind me I think still in shock) then I thought about this exact thread and how you can really get screwed ...

We love our cars too much, there's to many inconsiderate people in this world (like the IDIOTS that blasted your car) ... amazing, leave alone for how long you have your car parked b/c the paint looks like SH*T .....

ARGHHHH

I would want a minimum of 8k for painting. I don't know if that's enough. There are few people that I would even think about letting paint my car. There is no beating the stock paint and process. No way. That process they did at the plant - well let's see - didn't I read if you wanted to send your car back to Japan on that refursbishment deal it would cost 10k for painting? I think that was it. Honda used to have a program to put you car thru NSX plant for refurbishment and you just pick what you want off a "grocery list" of things depending on what it needs.

That's the comparison - it is really hard to find a substitute for factory paint. This is a shame man, sorry.

Employers Mutual Group finally called me and offered $4100 dollars to repaint my NSX. They "will only cover the actual panels that they directly damaged". Of course when I went over their estimate, they had omitted several of the damaged panels....gas cap, rear bumper cover, roof, etc...etc. I pointed out the omissions and they raised their offer to $5600 but still left out a few items. Again, I pointed out the remaining omissions and was told "this is our final offer".
This is all partly due to the moron they hired to come look at the car and then told me the car obviously needs a "complete paint" and then recommends $4100 to EMG. What a worm.

This leads me to a few questions:

1) Can they match the exsisting R-77 paint?

2) How come I have to get real estimates but they can quote some mysterious system that says it takes less than a third of my estimates to repair my car. Where are their real estimates?

3) Is $5600 a realistic figure? My estimates were $12800 and $14800.

4) Do I need to get a lawyer?
PM Pbassjoe about the repaint.How did the panels look after a good detail?

i might have missed it , but what year Nsx -mileage etc.

Go through your insurance company--they will subrogate for your benefit.

A beater? Yeah, I thought about gettin' an FD.

Dam straight.

Certainly if you can afford a NSX a FD is no problem (even the maintainence part). Just be prepared to feel that when you jump back in any VTEC car that it might feel that 2 of your cylinders might not be working.

PS - for the record, I didn't bring up that dirty word first......... FD *must resist*

PS - for the record, I didn't bring up that dirty word first......... FD *must resist*

Whoa, it is true ... first time I see the F word not coming from you ... :D cool

In your next conversation with the insurer you need to tell them that you feel they are acting in bad faith.

If they do not pay the claim to your satisfaction, I would hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit. In addition to the negligence claim against their insured, you would also bring a bad faith claim against the insurance company for their denial of your claim.

There may also be statutory or other common law claims that can be brought, such as failure to pay an undisputed claim within a certain time period, depending on the laws of your state.

You may have to sue them to get them to do the right thing.

(Not legal advice, no atty-client relationship implied or expressed, :wink:)

The insurance company (Employers Mutual Group) called again and said $5600 is their final offer. Then when I tried to explain that I thought their time to remove/repair estimates were low (because they didn't match either of my estimates), the lady starts in on me about, "so are you some kind of expert on NSX's??" "what are your credentials??". So I responded, "Hey when I first called you, you didn't even know what an NSX was. I've taken the front end off of three NSX's how many have you done? None? That makes me three times the expert you are". What a waste of my breath.

On another note, I received two other quotes from a couple of shops known for higher end cars and they can do my whole car for $6000 to $8000 which makes EMG's offer of $5600 seem pretty fair. Maybe my first two estimates ($12800 & $14800) are just off the charts??? Or maybe I'm just gettin' soft?

On another note, I received two other quotes from a couple of shops known for higher end cars and they can do my whole car for $6000 to $8000 which makes EMG's offer of $5600 seem pretty fair. Maybe my first two estimates ($12800 & $14800) are just off the charts??? Or maybe I'm just gettin' soft?

those estimates are very high. 8k is top, really. take the car to them and let them 'ammend' the quote directly to the insurance. like i said before, as far as the insurance is concerned your opinion has no weight, the 'experts' have to submit their price and then there is no discussion on cost. trust me, thats how it works.

Guys, when you talk painting there are just so many intangibles. Some guys that are cheaper will do a great super job and some that are high end do a great job and what is expected of them at that high dollar rate.

What I would always suggest is more about getting into the details of just what constitutes a high end job rather than just looking at quotes. I mentioned 8k - and I mentioned that the program Acura had for sending your car back to Japan for refurbishment as a reality check on what constitutes a great job.

What I'm trying to say is: find out what the process was in Japan at the factory. Talk with the high end paint guys - ask them to explain their process and what paint products they use to see what it is that a high end place is giving you and then compare the others in the mid or what I would consider upper range at 8k and find out what they do and then check on the lower cost guy and try and see what the differences are in processes if any. Do they have the right kind of paint booths, the proper drying lights and heat, clean????, etc. Talk with the guys that do the work personally. That's the only way you are ever really going to know what you're getting and if it's worth the price.

The issue with the insurance company is a whole other issue. You gotta call the Insurance commissioner, check all those options that so many others have mentioned. So you have two distinctly different things happening here - the insurance angle, lawyers, proceedings etc, to check on those bozos but you also have to know what is a good price for painting your car and what is reasonable and what constitutes a good job. You gotta talk about it in 2 different ways. Paint - Insurance. Find out the best deal and best painter (and know why) - use him, then figure out how to get the insurance company to do the right thing or how to make them do the right thing.

Whew, my fingers are tired - hope this helps and all the best of luck with this sad chain of events.

For what it's worth, I had my NSX repainted this past summer. They took it completely apart and spent over 4 weeks on the job. Out the door, including a new windshield, it was something less than $8K.

For what it's worth, I had my NSX repainted this past summer. They took it completely apart and spent over 4 weeks on the job. Out the door, including a new windshield, it was something less than $8K.

Excellent information. Very relevant. Thanks.

The only thing that makes me worry is your statement that the shop was very surprised by the amount of labor and would not paint an NSX for that price again.

Did they mention what it would cost in the future?

Excellent information. Very relevant. Thanks.

The only thing that makes me worry is your statement that the shop was very surprised by the amount of labor and would not paint an NSX for that price again.

Did they mention what it would cost in the future?

Interesting point, I had pretty much forgotten about that. Here's how it broke down. Originally, I was quoted $6300 + windshield (about $600 installed) + miscellaneous rubber and plastic bits.

When the job was done, I voluntarily added another $700 to the price when I made the final payment. Russ had made it plain that he had a lot more labor $ in the job than planned and while he would accept payment for the bid amount, he would be appreciative if I could do him better. So, that's what I did. All told, it was about $7800. I count it as an investment in future service from him. :)

I asked him what he'd charge to do it again, and he said $10K without much hesitation.

Things to keep in mind. This is what a I would call a boutique shop, does mostly custom work, no signs or advertising. If you didn't know it was there you'd never find it. My wife knows him from a waitress job many years ago and he's done some paint work on her SLK for us. He did a terrific job, but I don't know how much he wants to do more large and long jobs like this. That would probably influence his pricing.

Last edited:
call an "ambulance chaser" and get the proper money and not a penny less. Not that you have something specific to the medical field, but those firms are very familiar with insurance companies and how to deal with them. Basically I would never deal with any insurance company without first consulting an attorney of this type. Bust out the phonebook and call the one on the back cover. its a great place to start and if they arent interested, simply ask who they might recommend. They should be happy to help as all of them know each other, not matter the size of the town, and are always looking to help each other out with referrals.

The purpose of havinfg any type of insurance is when a loss happens it is there to "make one whole again". Do not settle for anything less than equal to or better than your car's paint was the day you pulled into the parking lot.

remember that final offer means nothing. they should really say that they are still crossing your fingers that you will be a fool and believe anything any insurance company says as the truth. Always assume they are lying....becasue they are!

call an "ambulance chaser" and get the proper money and not a penny less. Not that you have something specific to the medical field, but those firms are very familiar with insurance companies and how to deal with them. Basically I would never deal with any insurance company without first consulting an attorney of this type. Bust out the phonebook and call the one on the back cover. its a great place to start and if they arent interested, simply ask who they might recommend. They should be happy to help as all of them know each other, not matter the size of the town, and are always looking to help each other out with referrals.

The purpose of havinfg any type of insurance is when a loss happens it is there to "make one whole again". Do not settle for anything less than equal to or better than your car's paint was the day you pulled into the parking lot.

remember that final offer means nothing. they should really say that they are still crossing your fingers that you will be a fool and believe anything any insurance company says as the truth. Always assume they are lying....becasue they are!

That you refer to a attorney as a "ambulance chaser" and suggest that one should or could hire such to negotiate a paint job or a property damage only auto claim really helps qualify the quality of your advice and general understanding of the dynamics of the situation.

Last edited:
Back