• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed Exact Fit Rear Hatches - production run, get yours now!

Due to minimum production requirements, we do only 2 production runs per year. We have several ducted and two unducted hatches remaining on this production run! Lock yours in today! We're offering an extra $50.00 off if you place your order before 11/7!

enginehatch.gif

All NSX hatches are not created alike!

This engine hatch is unique in it's true molded construction. The ScienceofSpeed engine hatch is the only polycarbonate hatch that is produced by molding. Other engine hatches use a flat sheet of acrylic that is sandwiched between two factory glass hatches. This does not result in a very accurate replication of the factory hatch glass as the first factory glass forms the top surface of the resulting plastic hatch with the incorrect (bottom) surface. This results in gaps, bowing, and a poorly fitting hatch. The acrylic hatch is also prone to cracking and hazzing.

The ScienceofSpeed Race hatch differs by using a reverse fiberglass mold. Polycarbonate Lexan material is used with a scratch resistant hard coat layer on the surface and anti-fogging layer on the inside. Being reverse molded, the resulting window hatch is a direct replica of the factory glass which retains the factory glass curvature, clarity, and fit. The hatch also includes the same black out border found on the stock glass. A multi-piece router fixture is then used to cut and trim the resulting hatch to the exact size of the factory glass. Although this process is complex, it results in a replacement hatch that once mounted can not be easily differentiated from factory glass. The ScienceofSpeed Race Hatch is the only hatch to be so precise that even the factory edging molding easily slips on.

The hatch is available in two versions.
- direct replacement for factory glass hatch
- direct replacement for factory glass hatch with FRP or carbon fiber duct - features 7" x 9" inlet hole for engine cooling

more info:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/engine_hatch/

enginehatch_HK_600.jpg

IMG_6097_1024.jpg

IMG_6096_1024.jpg

IMG_3772.jpg

Last edited:
I'm probably overlooking it somewhere, but is there a significant weight difference between the OEM glass and the SOS lexan hatch?

Thanks!

I'm probably overlooking it somewhere, but is there a significant weight difference between the OEM glass and the SOS lexan hatch?

Thanks!

The difference is about 12+ lbs, thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a price difference between the carbon and FRP duct? Approximate wait time for these?

All ducts are carbon fiber - they can be left raw or painted. Lead time is about 6 weeks.

Interested but with a few questions.. How well does it keep shape in extreme temps, does it fog up in colder climates since no defroster, lastly does the material turn milky after a yr or two?

thanks

Last edited:
Can someone explain how the aluminum frame piece on the glass is removed from the glass. I love this hatch but I see it's not a direct bolt on item. Whats involved. Thank you.

Sorry, we do not have PM - however, pricing is simple - just take $50 off the pricing on the website (link above).

- - - Updated - - -

This has been on one of our cars for about 4 years now, and looks as good as when it was installed. No, we have not noticed any fog which is probably a factor of the plastic's lower thermal conductivity compared to glass. The material is made with a hard coating which improves scratch resistance. To care for the glass, we recommend using clean microfibers, turning to a new clean section of the microfiber often since grit can cause scratching if you are not careful.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone explain how the aluminum frame piece on the glass is removed from the glass. I love this hatch but I see it's not a direct bolt on item. Whats involved. Thank you.

You will have two options: buy a new aluminum mounting rail, or reuse the one from your factory glass. The instructions are well documented in the installation guide. To remove the rail, we like to have a glass company cut off the factory glass. This can be done relatively inexpensively (the company we use charges $35.00). The factory adhesive is cut off with a sharp blade. The factory glass can always be replaced if you decide to sell the car and want to revert back to factory.

I have this hatch installed on my 91 NSX with the CF vent, and I utilized the original rail. I had a body shop do the install, and they had a glass guy come by and remove the OEM glass properly. The CF was clear coated as an added safeguard. SoS sends you or your installer everything that you need for a proper install...just make sure you have the right person doing it!

The hatch fits perfectly. The underside of the vent looks basically like you would expect CF to look. The vent, coupled with the replica NSX-R Downforce CF rear spoiler (installed on my 91 as well) means that rear visibility will be quite limited. In addition, you may want to consider having a removable plug made for the square cutout in the hatch (underneath the very rear of the vent) to limit/prevent rain water from entering the engine compartment if your NSX is parked outdoors during heavy rain. I don't have a plug, and this has been a non-issue for me, but perhaps not so for others.

Can the regular (no duct cut) be purchased, but have one installed (DIY) at a later time?

Yes, you could cut the duct port and install the duct at a later time. However, this seems like a lot of work for a result that probably wouldn't be as clean as the factory-produced CNC-routered cut.

All orders have been shipped except for 2 non-cut hatches placed fairly recently (those customers have been e-mailed) which will ship in a week. If you have not gotten a tracking number or e-mail with ship date, please drop us a line! We have ducted versions in stock.

Back