• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ScienceofSpeed Intercooled Supercharger System: four cars, 1843 horsepower

In the past two months, four ScienceofSpeed Intercooled Supercharger NSX projects were completed. I wanted to share a little about these cars, not only to let you know more about our supercharger system, but to share the exciting results.

1995 stock 3.0L NSX: 400 whp (8.4 psi)
1991 stock 3.2L NSX: 416 whp (8.5 psi)
1991 low compression 3.2L NSX: 472 whp (11.2 psi)
2005 low compression 3.5L stroked NSX: 555 whp (15.3 psi)

1995 stock 3.0L NSX: 400 whp

DYNO GRAPH:

This car has the factory original engine. We completed a tune up (timing belt, water pump, valve adjust) and installed our standard supercharger system with intercooler. As the car had stock exhaust manifolds and exhaust, we also installed a CT Engineering header set and Cantrell Endura Lite exhaust. We also installed one of the new ScienceofSpeed Sport Clutches. This car produced 400 whp at 8.4 psi - a gain of 182 wheel horsepower at the wheels. We performed five back to back loaded pulls on the car to place it under strain to simulate hard real word driving. We were impressed to see the power not deviate by more than 2% - demonstrating the capacity of the intercooler for keeping charge temps down. This car's power and throttle response is really how the car should have come from the factory! Take a look at the above graph comparing stock to the end result. Instand power and close to 100 lb/ft of torque gain at the wheels even as low as 3000 RPM!

1991 stock 3.2L NSX: 416 whp

DYNO GRAPH:

We had the chance to finish this 1991 NSX recently (a review was recently posted here):
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127391

This NSX has a factory original 3.2L engine out of a later model NSX. This car has the new RPS twin carbon clutch installed. This car produced 416 whp at 8.5 psi - it was the car we used for our initial intercooler testing, the results you can find out about here:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/...ucts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/Laminova_Intercooler/

1991 low compression 3.2L NSX: 472 whp

DYNO GRAPH:

We finished this car today. It has our stage 2 engine build - which allows us to increase the engine displacement from 3.0L - 3.2L by way of increasing the bore to the factory 3.2L size - 93mm. The compression was lowered moderately to 9.5:1. This car produced 472 whp at 11.2 psi for a gain of 250+ wheel horsepower! This is by far one of the most exciting NSXes I have driven. There is INSTANT power as soon as you touch the throttle. The power delivery is simply unmatched from any forced induction system, big turbocharged cars included. I'll include further comparison information about this in a later post. This car is for a local customer - after we tuned the car, we took it to the emissions station and passed with flying colors.

2005 low compression 3.5L stroked NSX: 555 whp

DYNO GRAPH:

This car was completed by Driving Ambition for our mutual customer in Indiana. The NSX is a 2005. It has our standard supercharger system, intercooled, with a 3.5L stroked engine. I spoke to the customer recently who said 1st and 2nd gear are almost completely useless now. He said this jokingly, but I can understand with the car making 444 lb/ft of torque at the wheels! Thanks to Shad at Driving Ambition for the photos and dyno plot. Driving Ambition: http://www.drivingambition.us

In addition to these cars, Tim recently finished his ScienceofSpeed Intercooled Supercharger powered 2005 NSX in Hawaii and three new intercooled supercharged NSXes are in the works. You can read about Tim's NSX here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130600

Thank you for your business and continued support,
-- Chris

intercooledsupercharger_102.jpg

RS-45-garage_1024.jpg

superintercooler_800.jpg

Sky3.jpg

Sky1.jpg

Sky2.jpg

Last edited:
1995 stock 3.0L NSX: 400 whp

This car has the factory original engine. We completed a tune up (timing belt, water pump, valve adjust) and installed our standard supercharger system with intercooler. As the car had stock exhaust manifolds and exhaust, we also installed a CT Engineering header set and Cantrell Endura Lite exhaust. ... This car produced 400 whp at 8.4 psi - a gain of 182 wheel horsepower at the wheels.

Wow! So the 3.0L 1995 dyno'd 218 rwhp in stock form and with your modifications and a tune up it dyno'd 400 rwhp on the same dyno? You almost doubled the horsepower of a stock NA1!

Impressive that there's really very little fall off in the HP curve as you climb to 8000+. That's what i've always like most about my novi 2000 setup.

Nice work as always chris:smile:. Is the driving ambition bar on the red car available with your S/C? Can you keep the targa cover? Clean installs.:biggrin:

Last edited:
1995 stock 3.0L NSX: 400 whp (8.4 psi)
1991 stock 3.2L NSX: 416 whp (8.5 psi)
1991 low compression 3.2L NSX: 472 whp (11.2 psi)
2005 low compression 3.5L stroked NSX: 555 whp (15.3 psi)

How much work was involved with putting the 3.2l in the 91 MY ?

The swap is quite easy, especially since the ECU and larger injectors used can either be used with the larger engine. On the exterior of the engine, nothing is different that requires attention other than the air injection ports on the cylinder head. We offer a block plate kit that seals these ports for use on the early cars that do not use the air injection system.

regards,
-- Chris

Nice work as always chris:smile:. Is the driving ambition bar on the red car available with your S/C? Can you keep the targa cover? Clean installs.:biggrin:

Yes, this is the bar which we have available for targa cars using the intercooler.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Wow Chris I'm so impressed.....

Every time I tell myself my nsx is just fine with the stock engine and then I read one of your threads and it makes me consider the supercharger again! :redface:

So on a stock 2005 NSX, your kit would put the power output around 400+ hp with just the bolt on kit and stock engine internals? What about headers and clutch upgrade requirements? Looks like one of these days I'll be making the drive to your Arizona! :biggrin:

Chris

Sorry to hijack your thread, but recently I've sent two emails to [email protected] trying to order a number suspension compliance parts. One email on the 13th and one of the 17th, but no response.

Wondering if there's anyone there? Or if you're really busy? Or I'm doing something wrong ? :confused: Your team normally respond to most emails within a day, or 2 at most ? (well except when NSXPO was on :smile:)

Would appreciate some communication...

thank you

Chris,

The emails I've sent recently were normal direct emails to that address, not through NSX prime.

The title of the two emails sent so far is "More parts for Australia", sent to your email address. This is the same address I've used many times before, and they are not bouncing. (I double checked, they are definitely going to [email protected])

Chris, you stated you went through emissions with no problem. Does this mean you are using stock Cats? If so will they hold up to this application?
I removed mine as recommended by my tuner then I added some baffling to reduce the noise. It's still a little loud for my taste.
Thanks

Chris, you stated you went through emissions with no problem. Does this mean you are using stock Cats? If so will they hold up to this application?
I removed mine as recommended by my tuner then I added some baffling to reduce the noise. It's still a little loud for my taste.
Thanks

They seem to be holding up fine. Based on testing with test pipes, I think the difference is less than 2-3% power.

-- Chris

Chris, 2 test emails received, and I've sent 2 replies. thanks.

Thank you. We resent the original replies to your questions, you should have this in your inbox now.

regards,
-- Chris

Hello everyone, I just noticed this discussion and I want to add some firsthand impressions. I own the 1991 low compression 3.2 L NSX that Chris mentioned in his posting. It's the black car in the photos, with 472 whp and Advan wheels. Over the years, my car has gone through several upgrades. First, I had a CT supercharger (Whipple) installed, but after a year or two I burned some pistons at the track. (This SC installation was not done at SoS.) Then I took my car to Chris to have a low compression engine built, for higher boost with reliability. I was happy with the result (about 380 whp), but Chris felt that the Whipple SC was too small to make full use of the engine build. After installing a larger compressor and an aftercooler, the car dynoed at 440 whp. I took it to the track that way and loved it. There was a Z-06 club at the track, and as far as I could tell, my NSX was faster than the Vettes. However, Chris recently designed an improved intercooler using Laminova elements that was more efficient than the Driving Ambition intercooler he had been using. I couldn't resist: I asked Chris to install the Laminova intercooler and my car dynoed at 472 whp. That's not bad from 3.2 liters! There was little loss of power with repeated dyno pulls, which shows how good the intercooler is. For me, increased torque might be an even bigger benefit than the higher whp number. I recently was able to take my car to a newly opened track that has 21 turns in 2.75 miles, with lots of elevation changes, camber changes, some blind hills, decreasing radius turns, and more. In other words, a very technically challenging track that was capable of revealing weaknesses in my "new" NSX. From my point of view, the car was nearly perfect. It has such a fat torque curve that it is very forgiving with respect to where you are in the rev range. At the same time, the engine pulls strongly all the way to 8K, throttle response is excellent, and power delivery happens right now. Acceleration in the first three gears is startling--100 mph comes up very quickly. Also, there is no noticeable VTEC cam changeover point--just uninterrupted power, including plenty at lower RPMs. I have driven a lot of fast cars, including a number of exotics, and as far as I'm concerned, an NSX with 400 or more whp hits a sweet spot that is hard to beat. Chris and others at SoS have developed a supercharger/intercooler system that makes an NSX incredibly fun and rewarding to drive. Thanks, Chris! -- Dennis

Hello everyone, I just noticed this discussion and I want to add some firsthand impressions. I own the 1991 low compression 3.2 L NSX that Chris mentioned in his posting. It's the black car in the photos, with 472 whp and Advan wheels. Over the years, my car has gone through several upgrades. First, I had a CT supercharger (Whipple) installed, but after a year or two I burned some pistons at the track. (This SC installation was not done at SoS.) Then I took my car to Chris to have a low compression engine built, for higher boost with reliability. I was happy with the result (about 380 whp), but Chris felt that the Whipple SC was too small to make full use of the engine build. After installing a larger compressor and an aftercooler, the car dynoed at 440 whp. I took it to the track that way and loved it. There was a Z-06 club at the track, and as far as I could tell, my NSX was faster than the Vettes. However, Chris recently designed an improved intercooler using Laminova elements that was more efficient than the Driving Ambition intercooler he had been using. I couldn't resist: I asked Chris to install the Laminova intercooler and my car dynoed at 472 whp. That's not bad from 3.2 liters! There was little loss of power with repeated dyno pulls, which shows how good the intercooler is. For me, increased torque might be an even bigger benefit than the higher whp number. I recently was able to take my car to a newly opened track that has 21 turns in 2.75 miles, with lots of elevation changes, camber changes, some blind hills, decreasing radius turns, and more. In other words, a very technically challenging track that was capable of revealing weaknesses in my "new" NSX. From my point of view, the car was nearly perfect. It has such a fat torque curve that it is very forgiving with respect to where you are in the rev range. At the same time, the engine pulls strongly all the way to 8K, throttle response is excellent, and power delivery happens right now. Acceleration in the first three gears is startling--100 mph comes up very quickly. Also, there is no noticeable VTEC cam changeover point--just uninterrupted power, including plenty at lower RPMs. I have driven a lot of fast cars, including a number of exotics, and as far as I'm concerned, an NSX with 400 or more whp hits a sweet spot that is hard to beat. Chris and others at SoS have developed a supercharger/intercooler system that makes an NSX incredibly fun and rewarding to drive. Thanks, Chris! -- Dennis

This may be a little off topic but how do you burn your pistons? Does that just require new pistons and a rebuild?

thanks

Blaine

hi Blaine --

I don't think Dennis is on NSXPrime often. Although this was before the car was brought to us, I believe the stock engine had detonation problems on the track which caused the ring lands to crack. It had the standard Comptech setup at this time, and some component like the injectors or regulator probably malfunctioned.

-- Chris

Will the OEM clutch from an '00 hold for a stock 3.2L + intercooled SC setup?

What sorta 0-60 and ET times are we looking at for this awesome combo?

Depends on which one of the configurations you're asking about. The best way to compare this is look at the power produced and compare to other cars with similar power/weight. Keep in mind that the numbers above are listed at the wheels, where vehicle manufactures list their cars at the crankshaft. For example, the supercharged/intercooled setup on a factory 3.2L produced 416 wheel horsepower. If you were to measure this at the crankshaft, it would be approximately 510 crankshaft horsepower, which puts it well above a C5 Z06 and in sight of a C6 Z06 which are good benchmarks for performance.

This finally brings reliable modern level of power to the NSX.

regards,
-- Chris

Back