• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

sedan's

Folks, I have a predicament. My wife and I want to buy a sedan. This car will be her daily driver. She is expecting in 2.5 months, so there will be a child seat, etc. so 4 doors are a must. The dilemma is I honestly don’t know what to buy. I typically prefer European, but will consider higher end Japanese also. Haven’t really seen much from the US I like, but will consider suggestions there also. I would rather not pay the immediate depreciation in buying new, so I will be considering '97-'99 model years. Some other factors of consideration are safety, cost of ownership (mait + insurance), and pimp factor. We already own a Range Rover, so we don’t want another SUV.

I have started a list of cars to consider:
Mercedes e430 (don’t need the e55 - wife wont appreciate)
BMW 740il
BMW 540i (don’t need the M5 - again, wife wont appreciate)
Audi A6
Audi A8
Volvo s70
Acura TL
Some type of Lexus - I really don’t know their product line well.

I would be looking to include other cars to this list I may have overlooked, and OPINIONS (not looking for flame wars) on why one vs. another. Thanks for reading this far and for any potential responses, I appreciate your time and wisdom.

Justin

Originally posted by David:
...Best wishes.

funny how you trust someones sincerety after reading so many posts yet never meeting face to face. I appreciate the thoughts.

Originally posted by erobbins:
Interesting that you put the TL in this list, but not the RL. Neither of them are in the same class as most of the other cars you listed, but for the money, the RL is a fantastic car.EDR

Stupid reason for not listing the RL, my mother in law wants one so my wife does not. If you knew my family dynamics you would understand.... I have to admit I listed Acura only because I am so pleased with my NSX.

From that list, I would pick (in no particular order):

BMW 540i

Lexus GS400 (GS430s are newer) (I was looking to buy this before I got my NSX.)

Acura TL-S (I have a 3.2TL, and even though it doesn't seem to be in the same class as the other cars you list, I have been very pleased with it, and have often considered turning it in for a 3.2TL-S.)

I can understand about the family dynamics thing. I generally don't want something my family or in-laws already have, too.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

[This message has been edited by FuryNSX (edited 11 September 2001).]

Well I've seen video of the Mercedes' taking impacts at over 180mph (while on the autobahn) and watching the guy crawl out of the car alive after it rolled several times at speed....

I mean that has to be one pretty safe car!

-Electro

Folks, I have a predicament. My wife and I want to buy a sedan

Sounds familiar. I was in your situation just a month ago...and my wife settled on the Lexus IS300.

The IS300 is a bit lower end (and smaller) than the cars you're considering, but it is still a fantastic deal, my wife loves it, and even I find it fun to drive. Actually, my wife doesn't like big cars (she couldn't even see herself in the TL Type S), so the Lexus fit her needs very well. And we were limiting ourselves to the low 30s...the BMW 330 was just out of reach.

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Originally posted by FuryNSX:
...Lexus GS400 (GS430s are newer) (I was looking to buy this before I got my NSX.)...

PLEASE be very careful before you buy a Lexus. I bought two (2) new ones last year, a LX470 (the big SUV) and an ES300. I had nothing but problems with the LX. My experience with both the dealer (Lexus of Rockville, in Rockville Maryland) and Lexus of America was a complete nightmare
mad.gif
. If anyone is interested I would elaborate. I can only tell you I finally got rid of the LX and would NEVER, EVER buy another Toyota product. The customer satisfaction is no better than Chevy or Ford.

My experience with Rick Case Acura in FL was a 1000 times better than Lexus.

------------------
'00 Candy Apple Blue / Black

hmm

Ok E430 = old mans car ( the new year design due next year is 100X better looking so off the list ya go )

BMW = Everyone has one and are a dime a dozen plus I hate BMW worst company I have ever delt with in my life.

Audi = OK.. the current A4 is nice.. the new ones looks like the rear ends are crap.. plus to me they kind of look like VW.. so why pay more money.

Lexus are good.. there is the Is300 which is a small sedan and cheaper than the 3 series.. but to be in the same catagory as your list.. the only car they have is the Gs series and the Es ( camry ) reliable and quiet.

now I would personally get a Acura TL-S it is nice looking, decent price range $32K, and of course reliable.

Now VOLVO is a good brand also they are of course more rounded off so make is modern looking.. yet for some reason.. to me that car is for Older people. in their late 30's/. and justin.. your what early 30's?

smile.gif

------------------
'92 Sebring Silver NSX #181

Originally posted by HapaHaole:
Now VOLVO is a good brand also they are of course more rounded off so make is modern looking.. yet for some reason.. to me that car is for Older people. in their late 30's/. and justin.. your what early 30's?

something like that.

thanks for the responses thus far, but I frankly thought this topic would generate a bit more banter. In light of recent events, I thought some might like a distraction so I thought I would bump it up a bit.

Given the cars you list, in your shoes I would only consider either a 540i or the TL.

Choices, from the financial perspective, below the M5 or AMG categories:

1'st choice: A 540i is the total cream of the crop, have you driven one? I had a '99, and they are simply incredible by any measurement.

2'nd: Have you considered a CLK? Again, had one for a while. Great car, surprisingly roomy back seat (for a coupe, definitely good for 2 child seats). Only real pisser is the auto tranny.

3'rd: The TL. Can't beat the value on that car, particulary on a lease. Although its one of those non-descript, average thingies, you'll be driving a posh, responsive and totally reliable car. Truly a nice car.

Just my 2 cents.

[This message has been edited by rquintero (edited 14 September 2001).]

The Wagon Queen Family Truckster. You think
you hate it now, but wait
till you drive it. You know the one from national lampoons vaction.

Justin,
Absolutely DO NOT buy BMW 5 series, unless you don't mind paying $50+ k for a great handling car with Hyundai quality. I have a friend with 5 series, and its engine lasted all but 55k miles. I had a BMW 850i that cost me $$15k/year just to keep it running.

I have a 1998 Lexus GS400 that has been absolutely problem free. This is my third Lexus, and all of them have been problems free(JD Power would agree with me). Even more so than my Acuras(I had a Legend and another NSX before too). True that the steering-feel(NOT the handling)is slightly worse than that of 5series, but it has a better brake, as fun to drive and as quick(to auto 540). You can put L-Tuned steering ECU to improve the feel, but in my opinion the steering already has a good feel. Better than E-class.

Then again, you can't beat the value of 3.2TL Type S, it's a lot of car for the money mind the fake wood
wink.gif
In any case, you owe it to yourself to test drive all your candidates.

Ohh, and you will want to check out the 2002 Infiniti Q45, again a lot of car for $55k.

[This message has been edited by NSX2F1 (edited 14 September 2001).]

Back