• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Service Record Software

I don't use any, but I may design an Excel workbook to do the job. I've been thinking about doing this for some time, but have never gotten around to it. The advantage to using Excel is that you can customize it to fit your needs and then do some neat stuff with Pivot Charts instead of looking at a wall of numbers...

Excel.

This is my NSX spreadsheet. As you can see, I kept track of overall miles as well as track miles between certain services. And the numbers in each column represent not only when a service was performed, but how many miles it was since the previous time it was done*:

NSXservicesnapshot_zps6657ced1.jpg

This is a sample of my MDX spreadsheet, posting as another example because I've shown the recommended service intervals for scheduled maintenance items:

mdxsvc.jpg

*The formula used for each cell when a service performed is as follows, using cell I9 (the oil change that says 1,799) as an example: =$C9-SUM(I$3:I8)

Last edited:
wow, great job on the Excel spreadsheet, didn't realize it could be so powerful, I've been using a 3rd party program, but I'm gonna switch to Excel. I'll just need to learn more about customizations.

I keep an excel spreadsheet just like that (although not as in depth) so I can keep track of how much I'm spending on the car.

There is a thick envelope of receipts in the glovebox from the previous owner, though.
I might scan them in and put them on a usb stick instead so I can trash the papers and free up glovebox space...

Last edited:
Having them in the computer lets you quickly and easily sort, summarize, and derive all sorts of statistics.
True, for reference at a glance. But I think he meant, to keep documentation of those services, if you don't want to take up room in the glove compartment, it's just as easy to keep them in a file cabinet at home instead.

I keep all receipts and enter the service into a simple spreadsheet recording date, service performed, mileage, and other notes including more specific info.
A chronological order of service with every single receipt has value along with historical appraisals when selling a vehicle.
I was fortunate that the original owner of my NSX kept everything. It helped me when purchasing as well.

I keep receipts in a three ring binder but everything is summarized on an excel spreadsheet
In the spreadsheet I have a to do list, an historical log, a maintenance summary, gas mileage summary, tire mileage log and cost per mile.
I agree with Warren that complete records add value to your vehicle.

I wrote a database to track everything relating to my cars. It's in MS Access though and I moved to Mac. I have a partial conversion to FileMaker Pro. I never thought to share it. I will try to professionalize it so I can share.

Note: I still keep the binder though. I don't scan things. I will even print photos if I feel I need to (for damage issues etc).

I too use Excel. I have multiple formulas to gauge changes in maintenance costs, fuel costs, repair costs etc. over time; this was actually the first step to getting into an NSX ~ data on my previous Excel spreadsheet made me realize that continuing to maintain my previous car was quickly going to overtake the cost of purchasing and maintaining an NSX instead.

A lot of apps also let you export data which can be dumped into Excel, so that goes a long way. Currently I am using Gas Cubby (iOS) for both fuel and maintenance expense tracking; this data I push to Excel for semi-annual updates.

Excel spreadsheets for each of my Acuras. The one on my 1994 Legend coupe now covers 19 years, 251 line items, 527k miles, and $34k in maintenance! Having an electronic way to search and reference maintenance history is critical when I need to quickly find out what parts have been changed and when. It also helps me tell what my average oil change intervals are and even calculate my ownership cost on a per-mile basis if I want to. If you want me to send a copy of my spreadsheet to use as a template let me know.

Tyson has two Legends, a coupe and a sedan, of that color and transmission combination. He's a :cool: Legend :cool: in the Legend community. I'm at 275K miles and can't touch him.

Last edited:
Very cool!

Last week "CSI" solved a crime based on a car having a "Million Mile Club" badge on its grille. Something to go for now!

Last week "CSI" solved a crime based on a car having a "Million Mile Club" badge on its grille. Something to go for now!
Ha, never knew of such a badge! I will be striving for the same thing, I suppose. Fred's right, I was a Legend addict long before I joined the NSX fam. Have a 1994 LS coupe (owned 10 years, has 528k), and a 1994 GS sedan (owned 5 years, has 144k).

Here's a post, albeit from 2 years ago, where I shared a little about what my maintenance spreadsheet looks like:

http://drivetofive.wordpress.com/2011/11/01/maintenance-history/

Excerpt:

• 7 air filters
  • 6 timing belts & water pumps
  • 5 batteries
  • 5 windshields
  • 5 fuel filters
  • 4 sets of spark plugs
  • 3 radiators
  • 3 rear transmission mounts

Keep on rolling!

On my well-tracked NSX, I replaced front brake pads 27 times, front rotors 14 times, rear pads 15 times, rear rotors 4 times, engine oil and filter 33 times, and the engine once ( :( ). There are even more tire swaps, since I was doing that at the start and finish of each track event.

www.carcaresoftware.com

Been using this for probably more than 10 years...back when Palm Pilots were all the rage. I had a database issue a few months ago, and even though it has been such a long time since I bought it, the developer responded to my emails quickly and helped me fix the issue. It is very useful, well worth the $40 IMO.

Last edited:
Back