• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shaving..

Like a lot of things in life, much of a good shave involves prep. Don't shave as soon as you get up. Shaving in the shower is ideal (although I don't do it). Try getting a decent Badger hair brush and a good shaving cream that will lift the hair up. Apply the shaving cream against the grain and use a good blade (I use a Mach 3). If you have a problem spot, try stretching the skin but don't apply any more pressure to the razor itself.

I have sensitive skin and used to get bad razor burn almost every time I shaved. Changed the products and my technique and haven't had razor burn since (that was 3 years ago).

I can't emphasize the importance of a good pre-shave oil and a decent badger hair brush.

Thanks! I've give all of that a shot. Ordering pre-shave oil now. I didn't even know pre-shave oil existed. lol

I use some goofy looking 4 blade deal which has lasted a long time,and I shave in the shower reducing "primp" time considerably.

i shave in the shower, using whatever soap is handy (@ home i use nutrogena body goop), never use a mirror and use bic disposable razors i buy at costco.

i began doing this in '76 when a co-worker said he did it and though he had to be careful not to cut himself, it was the closest shave imaginable. i've had a few minor cuts over the years but nothing serious.

i cannot imagine spending **real** money on shaving creams, oils, expensive blades, etc.

You guys could try the shaving forums...
http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/

OR

You could just listen to Billy Mays... he was on the radio this morning. Apparently the new infinity razor has 6 (that's right six!!!) blades. More than any other... and when your bleeding to death in the shower, you can probably use his mighty putty to be as good as new in no time. :rolleyes:

LOL. Wouldn't that be something if someone actually made the news because of repairing their jugular vein with mighty putty.

Mach 3 with King of Shaves Shave AlphaGel. Stuff is awesome. They sell them at Target. Here's a link if anyone wants to learn more about it.

Long

I thought for years that Gillette was simply pulling a fast one on us, introducing new shaver technology every few years and expecting us to upgrade. And for years I resisted, sticking with the previous generation. I realize the market model is sell the razors cheap, make big bucks on the blades.

When I started shaving, I was introduced to my dad's double edge safety razor. Scared the crap outta me when I shaved with it, so I switched to (remember this?) the Gillette Techmatic. It was neat, being able to rotate the lever and get a new section of the band to shave with. I used that for years, then I finally caved in and went with Atra, skipped a few of the intermediate products, moved up to Sensor, then Mach 3 and now Fusion. You won't believe how many old razors I had in the closet that Gillette sent as free samples that I finally got rid of.

I thought at first that 5 blades was a gimmick, but I do get a better shave with the Fusion than anything they sold previously. I wonder what's next in their razor evolution?

i shave in the shower, using whatever soap is handy (@ home i use nutrogena body goop), never use a mirror and use bic disposable razors i buy at costco.

i cannot imagine spending **real** money on shaving creams, oils, expensive blades, etc.

Man, I tried doing that in my teens and twentys. My Grandpa could shave with a broken bottle glass and some spit and I thought I could do the same. Countless shaves, razor burns, and various switches to electrics later, I decided to give up and get serious about it.

With the stuff I use now and getting educated on technique, I only shave a couple of days a week. Never looked back. I've actually "converted" every single member of my family (even the women) to using good product and good technique.

Like a lot of things in life, much of a good shave involves prep. Don't shave as soon as you get up. Shaving in the shower is ideal (although I don't do it). Try getting a decent Badger hair brush and a good shaving cream that will lift the hair up. Apply the shaving cream against the grain and use a good blade (I use a Mach 3). If you have a problem spot, try stretching the skin but don't apply any more pressure to the razor itself.

I have sensitive skin and used to get bad razor burn almost every time I shaved. Changed the products and my technique and haven't had razor burn since (that was 3 years ago).

I can't emphasize the importance of a good pre-shave oil and a decent badger hair brush.

+1 on the badger brush..

When I got my Futur, I didn't get a brush thinking why so I need a pricy brush to apply the shaving cream..

Well, I decided why not and got some nice shaving cream that comes in a tub..

All I can say is WOW !!!!!!!!!!!! What a difference..!!!!!!!!!!!!! Less cuts, less razor burns, less irratation and the soft bristles feels nice too....

My DE shaving technique is getting better now and my shaves are BBS (baby bum smooth) with less effort. I still have some cuts in the neck area but still better than when I first started a week ago. I hope to have it mastered in 3 weeks.

DE shaving is the way to go.. Expensive upfront cost but shaving is for life.

I shave only twice a week. My hair doesn't grow that fast and I don't mind having a shadow for a couple of days. When I do shave, I do so right AFTER I shower and use super hot water to keep the beard soft. I also use the Mach 3 with the Edge gel for sensitive skin. To cut down on shaving time I have grown a goatee and sideburns to reduce the amount of area I have to shave.

I love my Gilette Mach III. Been using it for 5 years now, I'm on to my 2nd replacement.. hahaha. I really don't have that much hair to begin with.

niM

I used Fusion for about a year. I liked the shave but kept forgetting about that damn back blade. I nearly cut off a piece of my lip once. After my lip scabbed over it looked the mother of all herpes sores. That was enough, I went to cheapo Schick disposables and haven't looked back since. Reminds me of a story... I was a kid when Gillette introduced the Trac II double edged razor. I remember Mad magazine ran a fake ad about a three blade razor, which seemed ridiculous at the time. Fast forward and it's deja vu all over again: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930

For shaving cream I heartily endorse Clinique Aloe M Shave. Pricey but so worth it.

Last edited:
Shaver.jpg

Saw the title and I thought this thread was a picture thread about something else...well, anyway.

In order to keep my beard down, I have to shave everyday (sometimes 2x, if I'm going out that evening).

I used to use a manual razor, but they are really only good for 5-6 shaves.
I now use a Noreclo electric, pivoting head, floating blades, blah, blah and it does a great job in 2-3 minutes. Not as close as a manual, but 90% of the way there w/ much less effort and less going to the landfill.

If you stick w/ a manual shaver, try the shaving lotion at Trader Joes. I used it for years and NEVER had razor burn. Didn't even need aftershave.

Last edited:
I've been shaving daily for 30+ years and have used every thing out there in all that time, blade and electric.

Switching from blade to electric or vice versa: give it time because your face needs two or three weeks to adjust, believe it or not. Once adjusted though, I think most men would be satisfied with either one. If beard growth is light, electric and save a lot of time.

Don't ask me why, but shaving in the shower is a key secret to comfortable shaves that minimize cuts (or abrasion if using electric). Highly recommended whatever blade or razor you use.

I too thought the whole "more blades is better" thing was a gimmick to sell more expensive refills. But the Fusion really, truly gives me the most comfortable and closet shave without the cuts that I have every had. I use the Power version which helps even more. I have a tough beard, hard on blades, but I typically go 3 or 4 weeks on a single blade - as advertised.

picked up 16 fusion blades today 41.47 for the package. I went to BJ's to pick up a few things and spent ~300 bucks, only in the store for 5 minutes too.

Edge shave GEL.

Gillette Fusion.

Edge shave GEL made a big difference in comfort (e.g. glide, etc.) It made shaving with the fusion very very smooth. I was using Barbasol cream before, and it was a rough shave every time.

I am thinking of going back to the Mach 3 though. I felt that was the smoothest shave I have ever had, and I feel that 5 blades is overkill in terms of distributing force over a larger area of skin. 3 blades is already large enough, and makes it hard to shave just under your nose. I find the single blade in the back useless in terms of cutting hair.

But perhaps my hair is just too thick.

I love proctor and gamble's business model. They can make a blade that is just nanometers thick, but they can't make one that stays sharp for more than a couple of days. Free handles; blades will cost you an arm and a leg.

Back