• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Short shifter for NSX

Is there a short shifter for NSX ?
I know DaliRacing cuts the shifter one inch but it makes harder to engage a gear. Changing to syntetic gear oil makes easier to shift when engine is cold, but is there some aplication that makes the shifting smoother/shorter??

I drove 97 Prelude and S2000 and gears just slide in so smoothly like butter
smile.gif
. I'm OK with my 91 NSX gearing but if you drive another NEW honda in the same day you will know what I'm talking about.

An NSX shifter should slide in like butter, too - using the Honda manual transmission fluid. Except maybe for first gear, which can occasionally be a bit notchy.

The throw is already fairly short for a street car, so you may not have to actually shorten it. What I did was get a billet knob and set it lower on the shifter. It gives the same feel as a short throw shifter, as the end of the assembly now travels a shorter arch.

Many aftermarket shift knobs are hight adjustable and will give this effect.

------------------
Don't no nuttin 'bout no NSX;
Don't no nuttin 'bout birthin' no babbies.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
An NSX shifter should slide in like butter, too - using the Honda manual transmission fluid. Except maybe for first gear, which can occasionally be a bit notchy.

DOH... dont say that. Now I have to go and get my gearbox rebuilt =( My first 2 gears are definitely NOT buttery smooth.

Anyone in the south bay interested in doing a comparison? I'd like to know what Im missing out on.

Yea I'm going to the this Razo knob it looks pretty short, but I think my shifting wires are making the shifting litte harder then it should be, I never drove any other NSX besides my so I can't compare
frown.gif

ra68.jpg

Thx,

Originally posted by JoeSchmoe:
Anyone in the south bay interested in doing a comparison? I'd like to know what Im missing out on.

You have a shop in Santa Clara called Foreign Affair that I hear does a fair amount of work on NSX's. You might want to take it there to get their opinion on it. Just a thought.

Um, is the shifter really supposed to be buttery smooth? My shifter definitely feels notchy. It doesn't feel bad. It sort of feels like its supposed to be that way. Its very similar to how a Miata is notchy but feels correct. Please tell me I don't have a problem.

I definitely noticed the difference between my Integra GSR and the NSX. The GSR is buttery smooth. I don't know that I've ever felt a better shifter than in my GSR. I also noticed how my GSR shifter never got the raves of the Miata shifter, but the Miata is definitely notchy compared to the GSR. The GSR has similar short throws to the NSX and feels perfect to me but I didn't think the NSX was wrong.

I just figured the NSX was supposed to be that way. It doesn't feel broken, abused, or in need of service. It just feels more direct, like its making sure you don't confuse whether or not you've shifted it into gear. Believe me, I never have any problems shifting (other than reverse).

Its sort of like how there's no power steering. Its not wrong, in fact its very very right, but it may seem weird to the naive. Please tell me my shifter is the same way. I don't want to dismiss a problem because I'm naive and thinking its supposed to be that way when its not.

Alan

------------------
Alan Peltier
Operations Manager
HRE Performance Wheels
[email protected]

'94 black/black
No mods yet. HID on order. Needs wheels!
Performance upgrades coming as soon as I can scrape up the cash! Donations much appreciated!!

Check out our website at http://www.hrewheels.com

Alan,

Your description is exactly the way the NSX is supposed to feel. Positive throw feel. Sorry if my earlier description might have thrown you off.

I got used to NSX shifting but I would like it to be little smoother. When you joy riding you just slide the shifter and speciali 1st and 2nd gear is little notchy.

Do you guys think shifting cables might rub out a little on 91 NSX ?? Maybe changing the shifting cables would do the trick ??

Besides DaliRacing there is not other solution for shorter throw ??

Thanks !

Back