• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I paint roof black or Sebring Silver?

Paint roof what color?

• Berlina Black

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • Sebring Silver

Votes: 15 25.0%

• Total voters
Hi guys,

I've finally decided it's time to fix the horrid paint on my roof.

The clear coat has been peeling bad since about last summer and I just hate that it's so visible. I originally wanted to just paint it black but I thought of something. What if I just repaint it sebring silver and have the body shop also respray my front and rear bumper that also have chipping paint. Kill two birds with one stone. If I dont' like the sebring silver roof, I can just vinyl wrap it back to black to have my old look and have bumpers that are fixed as well. I've always liked the color matched roof NSX. It's like the NSX Type-S body. The black conopy is the original design but it's also a dated look in my opinion.

If I paint it silver though it won't look OEM, since no sebring silver ever really came with a color matched roof. Addtionally I have black rims, black scoops, black lip, and black brake calipers. The black roof really helps tie this all together to play along with the black and silver theme. I think painting it silver may make my other black parts look out of place. Additionally it will cost more painting it silver vs just doing black since I wouldnt' have to do the bumpers then.

So what do you guys think should I keep it black (cheaper) or respray silver (have overall better paint and option to go back with vinyl)?

Here is how it sits at the moment to give your best judgement on my situation.

Here is the paint damage. (It's actually worse now since this was taken last fall)

Last edited:
[MENTION=6399]Midnight_Raven[/MENTION] If you want to do something different, paint it Sebring Silver & whenever you want to go with the black roof look just wrap it in gloss black. Gives you the option of switching up your look every year or whenever you want.

Edit: just read the op lol, great minds think alike. Do the sebring & fix your bumpers as well.

Last edited:
Why can't you paint the top black and still get the bumpers painted? Best resale value option for you, and while you're at it paint the scoops silver too, then roof and wheels match and body looks super clean. Remember a black roof makes the car look lower and draws the eyes to the body lines and sides more.

I think your car looks damn good.

My NSX is colour matched, but I love the two-tone!

In my mind, if the "cheaper" route was also the better route, you wouldn't bother asking us. Since you're debating it, I'd keep it black. Don't let money call the shots. She's your beauty though, dress her as you like.

Lucas

I just think if you go silver you will wind up wrapping it in black anyway. As I said there are plenty of other things that can modernize the car, painting the roof silver isn't one of them. You have a lot of black on the car, and unless you want to change some of them as well, it's not going to look as together. Last but not least, money is still money. What you don't spend here and go into something more worthwhile. It's a 91, I would keep it original. Judging by the poll, most feel the same as me.

Last edited:
All coupes should have a black top IMO....especially the silver!!! F-16 :cool:

Keep it black, the classy look, the way all original coupe 91-94 should look

I have a friend with a 91 Sebring Silver which is all original and he had the pealing black roof repainted black and it looks great. I loved the black roof on my 91 Red as well. I think the early year NSX's have a very unique and classy look to them. Keep it black.

Why can't you paint the top black and still get the bumpers painted? Best resale value option for you, and while you're at it paint the scoops silver too, then roof and wheels match and body looks super clean. Remember a black roof makes the car look lower and draws the eyes to the body lines and sides more.

It's because then I would have to buy Berlina Black and also Sebring Silver paint. Driving cost up more compared to if I just did one color of paint only.

After looking at that pic I posted it does look like keeping it black would be the better choice. I think it'll make the rest of my black stuff look out of place and I'm not changing those out soon. Also it just hit me the silver roof will really mess with the flow of the wedged shaped body so I think I'll just stay with black maybe have them also paint my lip black as well. Thanks for the help guys.

Your car already looks really good, the black top just needs the repaint. Have you considered painting the side mirrors black? Has anybody done that on a white or silver car? I wonder if that looks better.

Your car already looks really good, the black top just needs the repaint. Have you considered painting the side mirrors black? Has anybody done that on a white or silver car? I wonder if that looks better.

Agree mirrors are better in black.

As much as I love black-top coupes but also dark wheels, I think your wheels and the scoop "compete" with the black roof somehow and hide how good a black roof can look on the coupes IMHO. I can see why you're deliberating... Maybe that's also why black mirrors can look so good on an NSX since they're close enough to a black roof to work together w/o distracting. IMO with the NSX coupe photo below, there's no question that the black roof belongs. It's a visual that just fits. But then in this thread HERE, I'd probably say the silver top looks fantastico and is the only choice with those darker wheels, IMHO. Quite a decision you have!
F-15_NSX%20008.jpg

Edit: Photo added from the referenced thread above:
2808n6g.jpg

Last edited:
I'm with the "Rolling Stones" on this................paint it black!!!!

As much as I love black-top coupes but also dark wheels, I think your wheels and the scoop "compete" with the black roof somehow and hide how good a black roof can look on the coupes IMHO. I can see why you're deliberating... Maybe that's also why black mirrors can look so good on an NSX since they're close enough to a black roof to work together w/o distracting. IMO with the NSX coupe photo below, there's no question that the black roof belongs. It's a visual that just fits. But then in this thread HERE, I'd probably say the silver top looks fantastico and is the only choice with those darker wheels, IMHO. Quite a decision you have!
Edit: Photo added from the referenced thread above:
2808n6g.jpg

Agreed. I say silver top, change it up!!!

You could easily wrap the roof back black later on... gloss, matte etc.

Its pretty funny because I am standing in Anthony's garage after we both got done working on my NSX, and I say "I think I will make my roof black" and he says "I think I will make mine silver". LOL... I wrap my roof black and then we go to autocross. He is in the green group and I am in the red group and people started complaining that "the silver NSX is running in both groups".

If wrapping is an option, wrap the top with cf (and maybe hood and trunk too). Would look hot!

Both look good. black would make it look how would I saw this mean in a way but match it with the car silver will definitely make the car look soooo clean.:wink:

This is a great photo I just wish the windows were rolled up:

F-15_NSX%20008.jpg

Back