• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Side bolster protectors installed!

My '00 is starting to show some early signs of the dreaded side bolster wear on the drivers seat. In an effort to prevent it from progressing I came up with an idea for side bolster protectors. I drew up design and had 2 custom made. Here's the end result! Hopefully this will keep the wear down to a minimum.

bolsterprotect.jpg

The inner side of the material (facing the leather) is a terry cloth like material and the outer side is a smoother stretchy fabric. Best of all it is easily installed in less than 2 minutes and completely removeable and washable.

I drove around for 6+ hours and repeatedly got in an out of the car today at the Florida NSX club holiday cruise and lunch and the cover did not bunch or come loose at all.

There could easily be a market for those. I'd probably take a set if you decide to produce more.

annointed said:
There could easily be a market for those. I'd probably take a set if you decide to produce more.

If there is enough interest I'll see if I can get a group buy arranged for these!

The only problem I can see is finding a tan interior NSX to color match the fabric.

I need these! I'm trying to keep my 91 pristine, but despite my acrobatics, it is beginning to show wear. Can you get more? Does anyone already sell something like this?

Motegi said:
The only problem I can see is finding a tan interior NSX to color match the fabric.

My interior is tan (not ivory), but the leather was redone a year ago in a custom half black, half tan scheme, so it would actually look ok either way for me, although I'm somewhat partial to black.

The best anti-bolster wear product is the back of your hand (no really).

1. Using your left palm: cup the usual wear area on the seat bolster.
2. Hold firmly with your thumb and four fingers.
3. Using your knuckles as a brace and friction surface, get in seat and turn legs toward steering wheel,
4. remove hand. viola.

You have now arrested any wear on the dreaded bolster spot. It is free and always present when you need it.

Drew

Man, i was just in your car today, at the Holiday brunch, and didnt even notice it. I wish you had pointed it out. Anyway how much does something like that go for? As a guestimate?

Oster

That's a pretty cool idea. I just decided to hell with trying to not wear it out. New skins for the seats are only likr $600. I'll just replace them when they look really bad years down the roads. Or just buy new recaros :)

FLA NSX FIXER said:
Man, i was just in your car today, at the Holiday brunch, and didnt even notice it. I wish you had pointed it out. Anyway how much does something like that go for? As a guestimate?

Oster

Hey Oster!! Long time no speak! Hah hah! The protectors did come up in conversation today with a few other people... I guess you and I were talking about other things!

Like I said mine were custom so if I can get a group buy maybe I could get a good price. Perhaps under $30?

KooLaid said:
New skins for the seats are only likr $600. I'll just replace them when they look really bad years down the roads.

That's $600 I could spend on other goodies!!!

I have an 03 (yellow seats!) and the problem I'm having is my blackberry rubbing on the outboard bolster.

Will your solution work on only one side?

Can you do "any" colour?

Red said:
I have an 03 (yellow seats!) and the problem I'm having is my blackberry rubbing on the outboard bolster.

Will your solution work on only one side?

Can you do "any" colour?

In regard to the color I'll have to check with the person who made mine. I'm sure yellow fabric is available but getting a good color match might be more difficult.

As you can see from the photos, when installed, both the inner and outer bolsters are "covered". The outer bolster is the one that gets scuffed when climbing in/out of the car.

neat'o

Motegi said:
Like I said mine were custom so if I can get a group buy maybe I could get a good price. Perhaps under $30?
Nice piece of work, quite creative and innovative! I'd be in for a driver's seat pair for sure. My passenger seat barely gets any mileage.

Koji,

Let me know, i'm in for a set for Nabil's car. That's $30 both seats, as a guestimate?

Oster

Last edited:
I am interested in the side bolster protectors as well but the problem is the attached photo does not show up on my screen!

By the way all of keep praising it i assume that you all can see the photo. Is it like the "emperor's new clothes" where only the privileged few can see it while it is invisible to the rest of us?

Montegi, i would appreciate it very much if you could reload the photos.

Thanks

Wow! Great idea. Like Oster I missed getting a look at them yesterday but sure do want a set when the group buy gets together.

These look pretty good! I'm in if we get a group buy going.

drew said:
The best anti-bolster wear product is the back of your hand (no really).

1. Using your left palm: cup the usual wear area on the seat bolster.
2. Hold firmly with your thumb and four fingers.
3. Using your knuckles as a brace and friction surface, get in seat and turn legs toward steering wheel,
4. remove hand. viola.

You have now arrested any wear on the dreaded bolster spot. It is free and always present when you need it.

Drew

Great suggestion! I'm going to start doing this so I no longer have to contort my body as much to get in and out.

I think they look like your trying to hide something, not too classy. I have some Recaro's in my car, the stock ones were toasted in 35k miles.

I think these would be great if they could be made out of leather to match the stock look, if possible you could then get them in a variety of colours, maybe leatherseats.com has some insight. However since I am not familiar with how they install and how much stretch in the material is needed for a good fit maybe its not possible with leather. Thoughts? Maybe a synthetic. If it is possible I think you will get more people interested as they could get a near match to their current material and color.

I am thinking about recovering my seats in the near future but wouldn't mind an OEM look to protect the bolsters.

Back