• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Sigh"

How do you get swirls out of the paint?

• Take it to a professional detailer?

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Are you kidding do it yourself?

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"Sigh" Starting to notice swirl marks on my car. How many people take their car to a professional detailer to get their car out, and how many do the detail themselves?

If you are asking this question, I would have to say take it somewhere... Let the pro "restore" it and you just maintain it...

to me it would depend how bad it is. If you dont mind putting the time in to correcting it your self... detail shop.

if you want to be adventurous and see if you can do it, then that would be my recommendation.

Sometimes if it has gotten that way with you being crazy about it then yes time for a detailer.

I've done my cars myself forever..................until last year. I took both the "toys" to the best place around, they get premium price, but do exceptional work. The cars both came out fantastic, it's much easier to maintain now that they've been professionally done. People can't believe that the NSX is 10 years old, and yes before I had it done, it looked great, but it's so much better now. If you have it done by a good pro, you won't regret it.

It's all in how much you value your time. Like many household items I would rather pay somebody to do them for me just because it is ultimately a better value; however, I enjoy spending time detailing my own cars so it is strictly a labor of love.

I know I will receive pushback from some detailers but it is rather easy to do most detailing jobs. Unless there is extreme oxidation is the only time I would seek a professional but just typical swirling is child's play to eliminate.

I love detailing my cars too, just if they can do a better job than I can, I guess I will give them a try.

I love detailing my cars too, just if they can do a better job than I can, I guess I will give them a try.

If you want something to be done right,do it yourself.Nobody can do it better then you can.With the right buff machine, right product and some available time on hand you can make your looking like a mirror :wink:

You can always go on youtube.com and gets some idea on how to do it step by step.

And you will definitely enjoy it, I did :biggrin:!

If you have the time and are interested to learn its not hard...

I used to detail my car myself and do a 3 step polish to make the paint swirl free every 6 months...

However I dont have the 8 hours to invest anymore so I ended up going with pro's...

If you use the right equipment you wont mess up your car if you do a bit of research and follow directions.

Start with a Porter Cable buffer it moves in random orbits so chances of you burning the paint will be slim.

Do some research on process and check out some people's detailing steps and products for their details...

Jeff

Do it myself. Have a fortune in pads, polishes, towels, orbitals, etc.

I actually enjoy it!

Nukem, I have been doing my own detailing. I purchased the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Orbital Polisher last year. I believe from Autogeek. I searched around & at the time I believe they had the best price for the package deal I was looking to get.

It was highly recommended from members on prime. I was told it was pretty much 'idiot proof' ... hard to burn through or ruin the paint. I figured "idot proof" was the classification I was looking at getting.

I ordered one of their package deals and then some extra pads.

You could borrow my Porter Cable if you want to give it a try some weekend.

I just used it on my DD and the NSX yesterday to apply a fresh coat of Zaino Z2 Pro. I used Zaino PC to work on my swirls.

It came out very nice. I could have spent more time on it though. But being a rookie, I didn't want to go to crazy... I've read the post where our early NA1 Formula Red will turn orange if the clear coat gets burned through.

If you a willing to invest the time (and in the proper equipment) detailing your car can be a great experience.

Three years ago I attended a detailing clinic at my local Acura dealership. Wound up buying a PC 7424XP and the entire Adam's Polishes line of products. Prior to that I had been using Zaino products applied by hand.

I give my car one thorough detailing a year and maintain the finish with the occasional hand wax. I use a quick detail spray and mf towel almost every time I take the car out (I buy it by the gallon). I washed my car 3 or 4 times last year.

I don't want to take anything away from the professional detailers. I've seen some of the threads on this forum showcasing what a professional can do.

I find this to be another enjoyable part of the "NSX experience".

Whatever you do, have fun with it,

Matt

If you a willing to invest the time (and in the proper equipment) detailing your car can be a great experience.

Three years ago I attended a detailing clinic at my local Acura dealership. Wound up buying a PC 7424XP and the entire Adam's Polishes line of products. Prior to that I had been using Zaino products applied by hand.

I give my car one thorough detailing a year and maintain the finish with the occasional hand wax. I use a quick detail spray and mf towel almost every time I take the car out (I buy it by the gallon). I washed my car 3 or 4 times last year.

I don't want to take anything away from the professional detailers. I've seen some of the threads on this forum showcasing what a professional can do.

I find this to be another enjoyable part of the "NSX experience".

Whatever you do, have fun with it,

Matt

I'm interested in getting the adams kit as well.

how do you think this kit (posted above) stacks up to the adams kit?? its
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-porter-cable-kit.html

compared to this

http://www.buyadamspolishes.com/adams-starter-porter-cable-7424xp-polisher-kit/

(sorry to thread hijack, but if your interested in detailing yourself these seem like the 2 top kits to consider)

I spent around $375 on the starter kit, plus some extra goodies. It was an impulse buy triggered by Adam (of Adam's Polishes) working on a section of my car and giving it a glass-like finish.

I'm sure you can find a great deal on the Porter Cable. In my opinion, this polisher is a great tool for us DIY detailers. There are many companies offering quality detailing products; find the ones that work best for your application.

I think the NSX looks great in any color; however, there is something special about a freshly detailed black NSX. For me that "freshly detailed" look lasts about 5 minutes, or until the next breeze drops a load of pollen on the car.

Back to the original topic; DIY versus professional detailing. As with many aspects of NSX ownership; it's all a matter of taste.

Matt

Please keep in mind that no matter who removes the swirl marks...they re-appear after the first wash or wipe down. Swirl marks are just a fact of life with red, black and blue cars. Best thing to do is use a polish/wax that has swirl mark fillers in it. Yes, this actually hides a great majority of the swirls. I use Finish First. Once the swirls start returning, I put another coat on! Hides most of them!

Please keep in mind that no matter who removes the swirl marks...they re-appear after the first wash or wipe down. Swirl marks are just a fact of life with red, black and blue cars. Best thing to do is use a polish/wax that has swirl mark fillers in it. Yes, this actually hides a great majority of the swirls. I use Finish First. Once the swirls start returning, I put another coat on! Hides most of them!

wouldnt a paint correction (possible with the adams kit) solve this problem?

As much as I love spending time detailing my car, I am doing just that..detailing it. As far as removing swirl marks and other things like that, I would take it to a professional. I personally would hate to invest my time and money on a kit and not have the desired results.

Back