• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Smog test

ak

Legendary Member
Hi guys. Question about Illinois smog test.

Is it strict? It seems it'd have idle test as well as dyno test? Is it less strict for older model cars? I think my NSX would pass but not sure if my 88 Mazda beater would pass....

Good topic.

The format of the test has changed in the past few years and is more comprehensive now. I recall taking my Grand National for a test several years ago. It passed even though it didn't have a catalytic (sp?) converter. I don't believe that I could get away with that now.

I have had mixed results of late.

Last summer I went 3 for 3. My beater '91 Miata (180K) passed, my supercharged '91 Mustang passed, and the NSX passed.

A couple of years ago the radiator on my Miata blew due to overheating during the test. I had never experienced overheating in the car before. The tester continued to drive the car despite the high temperature and I was unsuccessful in my quest to be compensated. They said that the car was too old and/or had too many miles and therefore they weren't liable. It wasn't too much scratch to fix, but nonetheless, is unsettling and frustrating.

A couple of things to be aware of:

-They will test your gas cap to ensure it maintains some pressure (or something). If the gas cap doesn't pass, they will turn you away. This is inconvenient.

-THEY WILL DRIVE YOUR CAR ON THE DYNO.

Good Luck

Make sure your engine is nice and hot to maximize your chances of passing.

Not as hot as milz50's Miata, though.
smile.gif

Originally posted by ak:
damn, I don't want those knucklehead driving my NSX!
mad.gif

You don't have a choice. But it shouldn't hurt it. Remember to turn traction control off before you turn it over to them.

My 300ZX w/112k passed last week. It was funny because the guy made a comment on how loud it was when it was on the dyno (B&B exhaust). The guy had my car on it for 10 minutes (don't know why...should only take 3 minutes max according to their signs at the inspection station)

My NSX passed 2 years ago and I have to get tested this July. I hate the fact that some one has to get in my car. The guy who sat in my NSX was a big boy and he seems to barely squeeze in the NSX.

I hate this state sometimes.

Originally posted by Jim:
I hate this state sometimes.

Folks in some states pay registration fees based on the value of the car. If I'm not mistaken, California owners pay up to $1,000 or more every year for an NSX. Makes our $78 seem like a bargain...

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Folks in some states pay registration fees based on the value of the car. If I'm not mistaken, California owners pay up to $1,000 or more every year for an NSX. Makes our $78 seem like a bargain...

eek.gif

you know, when I took my 91 with the later wheels in for emmisions testing last spring, I made a point of going into the office, and requesting that the car NOT go on the DYNO due to low profile tires, and other nightmares Ive heard from damage due to the dyno. They were VERY nice, and let me be in the car, and show the guy everything, BUT they did put it on the DYNO.
Then last Fall, I had to get my 95 M3 with the stock 17" wheels and tires tested, and when i went in the actual tester (I didn't much worry about this car) siad whoa, I cant put that on the Dyno, and he marked the paperwork " Aftermarket tires and wheels" and just did the idle test, and passed me!
That car was modified too!!
smile.gif

It's just dumb luck what happens at the emmisions stations...emphasis on DUMB!

Steve

------------------
Steve
91 NSX
01 MDX
02 M3 SMG (It's heeeerrreee)

When I brought my NSX in, the test guy asked "front wheel drive or rear wheel drive?"
rotflmao.gif

[This message has been edited by Jim (edited 04 April 2002).]

My lowered 93 NSX with minor mods (I/H/E, stock cats) passed its last Chicago (downtown, near South Loop) smog test without any problems.

IIRC, the guy didn't even OFFER to put in on the dyno roller. Between the lowered suspension and the low-profile 17/18 tires, he didn't want to chance it. Besides, he was too busy drooling
biggrin.gif

Just to update:

My nsx passed emmission no problem but they only did idle test. They told me that 40 series tire in the rear is too thin but made it sound as if 45 series(in front) was ok for dyno test. I was glad anyways as the dyno test, the thing that holds the wheels sideways seem to come out and bang the wheels real fast.
smile.gif

Same with mine, since it was lowered and had low pro's, they didn't even try to dyno it. Also, bring a camera/camcorder and have it visible with you, just in case they want to dyno and tape it. I think it makes the guys more willing to let you skip the dyno.

Kenric

Back