• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap ring

Good idea. It was my intention to get the ball rolling but someone with serious 'market power' has to lead. We in Europe have no power at all.

In the US the nsxca is all mad baller......we have Ted Klaus on speed dial..:biggrin:

In the US the nsxca is all mad baller......we have Ted Klaus on speed dial..:biggrin:

The NSXCA is an excellent avenue. I also think that in 2016 lighting up the internet on this website and social media may be as effective as anything. The question is does Honda consider us irrelevant - considering their participation in NSXPO 2015 and the resulting coverage of that in Automobile magazine, they may think we matter and they may listen.

exactly.......they just released the long awaited halo ...they don't want to simultaneously crush the hopes/dreams /aspirations of the over 15000 existing owners worldwide

I'm pleased to see a conversation taking place about this. I would be more happy to sign a petition, make a phone call, or whatever were it to help ensure parts for our cars. I don't lose sleep over this at night but nevertheless it is a concern. Who wants to have to scrounge through wrecks hoping to find a part for his car? Some guys joke about never selling their NSX's...they'll be buried in them. Should our worst fears materialize, that may be all that our cars are good for someday (or as permanent exhibits in our garages).

I hope Honda/Acura reads this! Show us that you won't let us down by producing a batch of long oil filters for example.
Larry B says that the shorter oil filters are fine. And I trust his opinion, since may be the best NSX mechanic in this country.

This discussion reminds me about the OEM throttle cable that is also discontinued, no one has yet made/fabricated a replacement and/or found a comparable Honda/Acura replacement for it.
Scary to think what will happen once this old bird wears out after all its only a steel cable.

Larry B says that the shorter oil filters are fine. And I trust his opinion, since may be the best NSX mechanic in this country.

Many of us were at NSXFiesta for the 20th anniversary. We were hosted by Uehara san at the NSX refresh center. There are pics here in a thread from that event. If you look at Uehara san under an NSX being restored on the lift, you will see Honda uses the short filter at the refresh center. Good enough for me:). Also I have never had an issue and have used them more times then I can count.

JMO,
LarryB

we know why you really like the "short" filter....:tongue:

Many of us were at NSXFiesta for the 20th anniversary. We were hosted by Uehara san at the NSX refresh center. There are pics here in a thread from that event. If you look at Uehara san under an NSX being restored on the lift, you will see Honda uses the short filter at the refresh center. Good enough for me:). Also I have never had an issue and have used them more times then I can count.

JMO,
LarryB

got curious,found the photos-
1095940340_rHqer-XL.jpg
1095941085_Po7Cw-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think parts availability will not be that big of an issue in the near future. 3D printing technology is getting to a point where we will be able to cost effectively produce replacement parts in many materials (including metal). I've already printed smaller aluminum items through Shapeways with pretty good results.

As far as manufacturers producing replacement parts for 10+ years after end of model production isn't anywhere near feasible. It would bankrupt many suppliers keeping old machinery around for such low volume items. Manufacturing machines are much like vehicles, they need to be maintained to a certain degree in order to function. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Skills, labor, floor space costs too. A better alternative is if we pool funds together and attempt to purchase the machinery specific to the NSX ourselves.

I'm sure this has been investigated by top engineers in the past, otherwise it would have been done, but would there be any room to design a workaround to the snap ring issue without replacing the case? Maybe use a different metal, or variable ring thickness to fit the larger groove? For example, inner part of the ring be OEM thickness for the shaft tolerance, and outer portion of the ring thicker to match the case bore groove?

For something as important as a transmission piece I would think you need a very low fault tolerance in order to produce it properly... in fact that was the issue in the first place, no? A 3D printer would be great for some bodywork pieces but I am not so sure about anything functional.

That being said, I have a spare transmission in OEM snap ring range. I wonder how much it would cost to pre-emptively fix it. My current installed one is not in range. Would it even be worth it...

As far as manufacturers producing replacement parts for 10+ years after end of model production isn't anywhere near feasible. It would bankrupt many suppliers keeping old machinery around for such low volume items. Manufacturing machines are much like vehicles, they need to be maintained to a certain degree in order to function. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Skills, labor, floor space costs too. A better alternative is if we pool funds together and attempt to purchase the machinery specific to the NSX ourselves.
I see your point. On the other hand todays machinery is so flexible that you can cut any gear if you feed it with the right values. So I don't see why Honda dropped the gearbox internals. And: how can BMW supply parts for 50 years for their 'special' cars (and not going bankrupt)? These parts have their price and we're quite 'used to' the prices of NSX parts. So Honda should be able to do the same. I still think that they produced a final batch of parts and when it's gone people should buy a different car. I know that's hard on Honda but the Japanese should reconsider their parts policy IMHO.

Hi, Larry and goldNSX.

As of today, all of the following parts are in stock at Honda Parts Japan so not sure why some of them were discontinued in some part of the world.

23581-PR8-020: 5MT main shaft 5th gear
23624-PR8-020: 5MT 5th gear sleeve/hub set
23642-PG1-912: Blocking ring
23652-PG1-000: Synchro spring
23461-PR8-000: 5MT counter shaft 5th gear

22000-PR7-305: Twin disc CL set (inc. flywheel)
22200-PR7-305: Twin disc CL 1st friction disc set
22400-PR7-305: Twin disc CL 2nd friction disc set

I know some of the vendors in US and Europe are buying the OEM parts from Japan (for example, the later spec ABS modulator for the ABS upgrade, much cheaper in Japan) so may be you can ask them nicely to supply you the parts?

Kaz

Kaz, do you think that the US or EU divisions restricted parts on their own? Do you have other examples of part being available in Japan? What about the throttle cable?

Asking: might I ask you nicely to get me some parts in Japan as you seem to have good connections to Japan. :wink::)

Back