• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So, I moved to Tokyo

Interesting. Thanks for the response...so you are a status symbol ... you need to wear more bling :biggrin:

I was told by my Taiwanese relatives that it depends on the race of the interracial marriage. If it is from a poorer Asian country (Filipino, Viet, Indonesian) they will look down on you. However, Europeans are generally favored.

So jealous of the Japan pics. Me and my wife will be vaccinated by the time olympics roll around but the door has already been shut on that. The food there looks so interesting. I might just see if I can get some Japanese food today to cure that itch!

I was told by my Taiwanese relatives that it depends on the race of the interracial marriage. If it is from a poorer Asian country (Filipino, Viet, Indonesian) they will look down on you. However, Europeans are generally favored.

So jealous of the Japan pics. Me and my wife will be vaccinated by the time olympics roll around but the door has already been shut on that. The food there looks so interesting. I might just see if I can get some Japanese food today to cure that itch!

I doubt the olympics will happen at all anymore. Most of Japan doesn’t want it, but cash is king right?

It depends I suppose, seems like Biden is spending money faster than he can print it. Maybe he’ll decide to throw it at Japan, maybe not (the Olympics is basically funded by US money)

The food is INCREDIBLE. Not just the restaurants, but basic stuff; fruits, vegetables, meat, ETC.

I had no idea moving here from California I’d be so blown away by the quality of everything. I was used to California being the “high standard” for most Americans in terms of freshness and quality...

I don’t think I could go back at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Thanks for the response...so you are a status symbol ... you need to wear more bling :biggrin:

Once I’m done “blinging” out my NSX. That’ll be the biggest status flex I could ever have here.

They LOVE the NSX here. I can’t tell you
How many friends I have made after they figure out I own an NSX haha.

bb9db8c6dade6492e159c7accf54560e.jpg

91a361656e0538c7ed2254a848aa4bb1.jpg

8140482b97f18c26ae688c6ac60e069d.jpg

9fddf643be3dc9fb58cd9e725c3138cb.jpg

2a39a8b401a54f6f998b63453fdbd847.jpg

49e61be3f8afe4c7ac02b1f4c39f9ea1.jpg

e1498e0177e4d0cbccbd3a02c19b82e7.jpg

e373b0a8a406c5aafc6a3692de950b4d.jpg

Thanks!

If I may say so, there really is no price I could put on the experiences of living in a different country. It isn’t always easy, but the perspective it’s given me (even in the short time I’ve lived abroad) is incredible.

If you can manage it without too many loose ends (like selling your NSX, which I strongly oppose) or baggage I say it’s always better to try something and not like it versus regret you never did it.

That's my biggest dilemma . Do I sell or ship abroad considering that I will not have a private garage space but if there's a will, there's a way.

That's my biggest dilemma . Do I sell or ship abroad considering that I will not have a private garage space but if there's a will, there's a way.

I resorted to keeping my NSX stored with a close friend to take care of it (start it, drive it occasionally, change oil, etc) until I have decided to ship it, or return.

I think it’s finally been decided that I will be here long enough to justify shipping it...which is great because I’m going insane without it!

Plus I REALLY want to do track days at Suzuka and Motegi haha

I’ve always wanted to visit Japan. I hosted a Japanese NSX owner about 5 years ago while he was traveling across US. I hope to visit in the future.

Definitely an incredible place to visit.

Let me know if/when you come though I’ll get the first round of drinks!

Loving this thread, what an experience. Food, scenery, lifestyle, the cars? Just awesome.

Loving this thread, what an experience. Food, scenery, lifestyle, the cars? Just awesome.

Thanks! I’ll try to keep the posts coming.

I really miss the “good old days” of prime. Hoping this thread can reignite my wanting to post more here than a$$book

I still have TONS of pics from Okinawa, but I think I’ll take a break from them for a bit to add more “substance” to the thread.

Some things no one talks about moving to Japan;

-everything is INCREDIBLY low tech here. Despite the “high tech” image portrayed, most places don’t have/offer wifi, and fax machines are still the preferred business communication method. Trying to do almost anything digitally causes mass confusion and usually gridlock.

-credit cards are almost never useable (outside of Tokyo or Osaka) even then it’s a 50/50 chance a business won’t accept them.

-racism is RAMPANT here. It’s more subtle than American racism, for instance; I can open a bank account as a resident, but my account is WAY limited on what I can do or how much I can withdrawal or deposit compared to my wife’s account (Same bank). Foreigners are often denied rentals/apartments/businesses simply because the owners “don’t want gaijins”. Thankfully my last name can pass for something kinda Asian.

I finally was able to make this pic happen.

Had this idea for roughly two years and thanks to Covid for allowing me enough space to get a good pic!

69f7b600384b3e65851b6c67f5dc4be9.jpg

The famous Hachiko statue honoring a legend where a dog rode the train to shibuya every day to meet his master even after he had passed away in an accident.

Now two legends will be remembered in this statue.

930101410ac945bc8129b464ec3c8117.jpg

48673240799960dedfd02e712cb40c26.jpg

0fac7a9d1893027fcb642dae4a163ed8.jpg

8598c7a8e3ae2ab6a9a209ab9c373256.jpg

8333b65492b5c559f5e0b327c68bc4eb.jpg

8101596ba0bf22dacc5164bbf630255d.jpg

Spent a nice Sunday out with the wifey and my best fur buddy. Visited jindai-ji temple which is Japan’s second oldest shrine and super famous for growing soba.

All of the restaurants and stores sold soba and items made from soba seeds!

Noodles were delish, and the soba bread was very nice compliment to ice cream and azuki (red beans)

If you visit Japan and love to try some traditional food that ISNT crazy expensive, this is a great spot to check out.

mmm real soba...

Back