• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

so santa got me...SNAP RING FAILURE!!

i was experiencing crunch in between shift.no feel on the shifter it was normal its just the thud and crunch on the underload shifting...so based on what i have read i went in and inspect the hole and the there it goes.found 3 pieces in the hole and half of the ring still in the groove and its moving freely but i cant pull it out completely. no abnormality in the tranny when its running so i dont think pieces got into it.

specs:
1992 berlina black
vin=JH4NA1151NT000709
mileage of failure =160xxx not sure if it has failed before..

bought it last year from a guy in moorpark/simi valley area with 158XXX on the clock. replaced new clutch already 500 miles ago. was driven couple of hard passes in willow springs but babied it in most part.

I have read about this problem over and over again and thought i got it made coz i already had high miles..but i guess i was wrong.

thanks guys..i am really learning alot from here about this car!

409601_334933746519006_100000071514537_1412045_349757403_n.jpg

408677_334933296519051_100000071514537_1412044_488073414_n.jpg

Last edited:
Be carefull buying anything from Dali. If its not COD chances are you won't receive it. Make sure you do your research

Sorry to about the your snap ring. I just got my 92 with 50K miles back last week for this same snap ring failure. I went with a rebuilt trans from SOS. Much easier that way. The ship you the trans, and you just have someone install it, then ship back your original trans to SOS for the core charge refund.

The benefit I see going this route is I feel the trans is rebuild by competent SOS employees, you get a refreshed trans with new syncos and such, vs having someone else (Unless you get one of the top well known NSX mechanics to to the repair) attempt the repair, and you'd still have a transmission with 160K miles worn parts.

really??about the dali??damn they looks and sounds legit too..i didnt know about their issues whatever it is but i will take you guys advise!thanks a bunch!

@ ChrisK hey man thats sounds like a great idea.but how much did you pay for the rebuilt trans?if you dont mind me asking.or i can check on their website.lol! thanks dude!

really??about the dali??damn they looks and sounds legit too..i didnt know about their issues whatever it is but i will take you guys advise!thanks a bunch!

@ ChrisK hey man thats sounds like a great idea.but how much did you pay for the rebuilt trans?if you dont mind me asking.or i can check on their website.lol! thanks dude!

I paid what they advertise on the website. I think it was $2094 or something. Plus shipping. My shipping was expensive since I had to ship it to Hawaii. I also bought a new SOS Sports clutch so that was additional cost that you will not not have since you have a brand new clutch.

looking at it right now but i noticed on the side note that if your tranny is on snap ring range its additional $850 parts and labor..

Packages include parts & installation. ScienceofSpeed offers the following custom 5-speed transmissions on exchange through our core exchange program allowing for zero down time. Customer may also provide 5-speed for customization. Installation into vehicle is extra. Please note: transmissions in snap-ring range require replacement of the transmission case half. Parts and labor is $850.00.

still a good deal IMO.. thanks bruh!!

Last edited:
looking at it right now but i noticed on the side note that if your tranny is on snap ring range its additional $850 parts and labor..

Packages include parts & installation. ScienceofSpeed offers the following custom 5-speed transmissions on exchange through our core exchange program allowing for zero down time. Customer may also provide 5-speed for customization. Installation into vehicle is extra. Please note: transmissions in snap-ring range require replacement of the transmission case half. Parts and labor is $850.00.

When I called they told me if the trans is damaged due to the snap ring failing then there will be an additional $850 since they would have to repair the additional damage. If your trans is undamaged, the case is undamaged, then you should be okay. That is what Bryan informed me over the phone. In my case my car was still drivable as only the end of the snap ring broke, but I stopped driving the car until I got the new transmission. I was still able to drive my car to the shop to have the new trans installed.

Your best bet is to call SOS and have them explain it to you. This is one of those times were it sucks that it has be be repaired, but it needs to be done. Just get it done right whichever route you take, then enjoy your car once it's repaired. My car was out for about 2 months while I sourced the parts and had everything shipped to me. With the new trans, clutch, shipping cost, and labor I'm in it for around $5000, but the day I picked up my car and drove it I forgot all about the money. I drove it for the last 2 days straight. And in fact, I'll probably go for a ride with my son later today.

PS. if you got the money, I'd go with the 6-Speed swap. That was my original goal when I bought my snap ring failure range car, but the it broke a little sooner than I had hoped. I think the 6-Speed with a new clutch, shipping and labor charges would have run me about $10K which was money I didn't have.

Last edited:
thanks!for the input chris.. that really make sense!my car is still drivable. and no other problem as far as i can tell. but yeah definitely have to hit up SOS after the holidays done with! im ok with 5spd trans...but really thank you for your advise and input!! its always nice to talk to someone whos been there before!!

I was snap rung about 6 weeks ago at approx 53k mi....lucky for us in the Northeast, we have access to Larry B. Now that its fixed I never have to think about it again. Once its fixed(the right way)there is no threat of it failing again. So I don't think yours was ever repaired.

PS-I wouldn't do too much driving with it broken...pieces of broken ring can get into places it shouldn't so be careful.

Last edited:
I was snap rung about 6 weeks ago at approx 53k mi....lucky for us in the Northeast, we have access to Larry B. Now that its fixed I never have to think about it again. Once its fixed(the right way)there is no threat of it failing again. So I don't think yours was ever repaired.

PS-I wouldn't do too much driving with it broken...pieces of broken ring can get into places it shouldn't so be careful.

thanks thats the plan! did you just fixed the snap ring with the fix kit or you went like chrisK did? a whole tranny rebuild?

thanks thats the plan! did you just fixed the snap ring with the fix kit or you went like chrisK did? a whole tranny rebuild?

I went with replacing the upper trans case and bringing it back to stock trans...it was more cost effective(about $2,500 w/labor).

PS-I would take the advice about Dali...there are some real horror stories about his service.

Last edited:
I went with replacing the upper trans case and bringing it back to stock trans...it was more cost effective(about $2,500 w/labor).

PS-I would take the advice about Dali...there are some real horror stories about his service.

advises taken to the heart!! that was close!!thanks to you guys!

I have nothing to add abt snap ring failures except that DALI sucks nowadays, SOS all the way

I have nothing to add abt snap ring failures except that DALI sucks nowadays, SOS all the way

You guys can rant about Dali all you want, but I've had 15 years of PERFECT service from Mark (dozens of orders). Of course Chris and SOS are great too.

You guys can rant about Dali all you want, but I've had 15 years of PERFECT service from Mark (dozens of orders). Of course Chris and SOS are great too.
I joined a few months ago and why risk problems. Everything I have ordered from SOS has been shipped immediately or I have gotten emailed and all come with hassle free instructions. Can't ask for much more from a vendor

I refuse to do business with Dali because of the horror stories I hear. Sounds like Dali is all for taking your money in exchange for parts but not the other way around.

You keep playing with fire eventually you get burned. Your lucky that is all. His customer service records are well known. I've even burned. I make it well known so others are not put in my situation. You don't have to take mine or anyone else warnings. But the facts still remain, and you have been warned.

Yeah, well your lucky. He stole my money last year and I've emailed him 20+ times to no response. But a few weeks ago I email him as if I'm interested in buying $3k worth of parts and he responds in 3 mins flat, so after he responds I email him asking about my money he stole & guess what, no response. So f#ck Mark & Dali racing, he better pray I don't find the time to go to Cali.

My '92 had an SOS rebuilt in it when I bought it, has about 10K on it and it shifts like Swiss clockwork. Recommended.

Back