• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So, what is Honda fan suppose to drive now?

Well we can rewind the clock and buy one of these from Japan.

Are those photos taken at the 1998 NSX Fiesta that a bunch of us (from the US) attended ?;
I remember the rain and those funky Honda raincoats we were given. I still have mine.

Last edited:
It's back..........

bilde

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20090518/CARNEWS/905189991

What's back?

Discussing other Japanese makers' high-end sportscar offerings in reference to Honda's complete lack thereof is a legitimate topic for this thread, IMO. :) That said, the Nurburgring 24h livery of said LF-A is darn cool.

lexuslfa-n24_001_low.jpg

Obviously you dont own a NSX (and definately not a supercharged version). You drive a S2000 and a 1997 NSX sucks? C'mon dude, you are obviously flaming and have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm not saying that a 1997 NSX "sucks" per say, but it "sucks" for today's standards. You have a car that is sold by a non prestigious brand for almost $90,000 new when cars half it's price today that are sold by even less prestigious brands can keep up with it is a major fail.

So no.... just buying an NSX and calling it a day isn't going to work. Why buy an NSX when you have a brand spankin new 330 hp Nissan 370 Z, or a slightly used C6 Corvette out there in the mid $30k range?

And if you just want to worry about balance and handling and you shun the extra hp, then most people would take a slightly used 2006 290 hp Porsche Cayman S over the NSX. Those can be had for the upper $30k range now. I mean, why get a 2005 NSX for $55,000 when you can get the Cayman, with better brand backing and brand recognition for $20k less?

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE the NSX and have a special place in my heart for these cars. But I refuse to act like the world hasn't passed it by over the past 18 years. I love the NSX just like I love the Ferrari 348 TS. But to purchase either of those cars over a "current" Cayman or 911 or 370 Z or R8 or C6 or GT-R.... ummmm the answer would have to be a resounding "N-O".

This situation reminds me of my friend who was trying to decide between a Intgra Type R and a G35 Coupe. He found a prestine ITR for $18,500 and a 2005 G35 Coupe for the same price. The G35 had all the extras including Navi and the 300 hp engine. not to mention that the ITR was a 2000. He realized that he was living in 1999 and that the G35 was hands down the better ride and ended up purchasing it. It had 100 hp more, 2 additional cylinders to work with, a better interior, it was newer, and it performed better. He was just stuck on Honda and the "dream".

I'm not saying that a 1997 NSX "sucks" per say, but it "sucks" for today's standards. You have a car that is sold by a non prestigious brand for almost $90,000 new when cars half it's price today that are sold by even less prestigious brands can keep up with it is a major fail.

So no.... just buying an NSX and calling it a day isn't going to work. Why buy an NSX when you have a brand spankin new 330 hp Nissan 370 Z, or a slightly used C6 Corvette out there in the mid $30k range?

And if you just want to worry about balance and handling and you shun the extra hp, then most people would take a slightly used 2006 290 hp Porsche Cayman S over the NSX. Those can be had for the upper $30k range now. I mean, why get a 2005 NSX for $55,000 when you can get the Cayman, with better brand backing and brand recognition for $20k less?

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE the NSX and have a special place in my heart for these cars. But I refuse to act like the world hasn't passed it by over the past 18 years. I love the NSX just like I love the Ferrari 348 TS. But to purchase either of those cars over a "current" Cayman or 911 or 370 Z or R8 or C6 or GT-R.... ummmm the answer would have to be a resounding "N-O".

This situation reminds me of my friend who was trying to decide between a Intgra Type R and a G35 Coupe. He found a prestine ITR for $18,500 and a 2005 G35 Coupe for the same price. The G35 had all the extras including Navi and the 300 hp engine. not to mention that the ITR was a 2000. He realized that he was living in 1999 and that the G35 was hands down the better ride and ended up purchasing it. It had 100 hp more, 2 additional cylinders to work with, a better interior, it was newer, and it performed better. He was just stuck on Honda and the "dream".

You compared a FR to FF car? That's hardly fair. If the ITR was a FR, I bet that the argument would be different. I know this is not the point and I am no diehard Honda fan. I totally agree that the NSX is too underpowered to be worth $90k, but $30K-$40k for a clean, low mileage NSX is acceptable... and I would rather pay $50K for a 05 NSX then jump on the bandwagon and get a Vette or 350z-370z.

Last edited:
You compared a FR to FF car? That's hardly fair. If the ITR was a FR, I bet that the argument would be different. I know this is not the point and I am no diehard Honda fan. I totally agree that the NSX is too underpowered to be worth $90k, but $30K-$40k for a clean, low mileage NSX is acceptable... and I would rather pay $50K for a 05 NSX then jump on the bandwagon and get a Vette or 350z-370z.

I'm no Nissan Fanboy, but for $35,000 loaded, the 370 Z is an amazing car. Have you driven one? They handle so much better than the 350 Z, they are lighter, and there's gobs of tourque for days. Your neck is jerking back at 3000 RPM's.

The NSX looks better, but I'd rather drive AND own the 370 Z.

And yes, you're right, the ITR is a FF, but if you think about the type of person that would even consider that car, it's someone who is probaby looking for a performance car. My friend's budget was $20,000. He was looking at used 350 Z's, G35 Coupes, ITR's, S2000's, WRX Sti, Evo IV. He decided on the G35 because it had the best engine of the group and it was the one of the more chick-friendly rides, that and the 350 and S2000. It's not his fault that Honda made the ITR FWD.

With that said, I see the NSX as a collector's car now. I don't like to compare it to what's out there now. It has a special place in history as a unique vehicle with it's own niche. If I owned one, I wouldn't even SC or turbo it because I don't see the point in doing that. The NSX is too rare to mod all crazy. If I owned one, I would keep it stock and just enjoy it for what it is. If I wanted to mod a car, I'd by a G35 or E46 M3 and get to work.

I'm no Nissan Fanboy, but for $35,000 loaded, the 370 Z is an amazing car. Have you driven one? They handle so much better than the 350 Z, they are lighter, and there's gobs of tourque for days. Your neck is jerking back at 3000 RPM's.

The NSX looks better, but I'd rather drive AND own the 370 Z.

And yes, you're right, the ITR is a FF, but if you think about the type of person that would even consider that car, it's someone who is probaby looking for a performance car. My friend's budget was $20,000. He was looking at used 350 Z's, G35 Coupes, ITR's, S2000's, WRX Sti, Evo IV. He decided on the G35 because it had the best engine of the group and it was the one of the more chick-friendly rides, that and the 350 and S2000. It's not his fault that Honda made the ITR FWD.

With that said, I see the NSX as a collector's car now. I don't like to compare it to what's out there now. It has a special place in history as a unique vehicle with it's own niche. If I owned one, I wouldn't even SC or turbo it because I don't see the point in doing that. The NSX is too rare to mod all crazy. If I owned one, I would keep it stock and just enjoy it for what it is. If I wanted to mod a car, I'd by a G35 or E46 M3 and get to work.

That's great that you would take a 370Z over the NSX. Have you actually owned an NSX, let alone driven one extensively? How about I go buy one and trade you for your NSX if it has low miles eh? lol. The 370Z looks a lot better and is better in everyway than the 350Z. Any 350Z fanboy who does not see this is in denial. With that said, I would rather take a nice kept, low mileage 300ZXTT or slicktop Z32 over the 370Z. Sure I wouldn't mind daily driving the 370Z, but todays cars don't carry the same stance anymore.

I really do let the looks and rarity speak for the car itself. The 370z while looking better, still stands like a sedan and your 50 year old aunt may have one too, haha. It has been proven that we can engineer something to be fast and handle wel. The GTR is the same story back in 1990, just now advertising with more hp and an "independent" platform. So I will rather pay $15K for my exellent condition 48 inch tall Z32, dump $10-$15k into the car worth of mods and smoke your fat, aesthetically hindered $30K-$40K Z33 or Z34 and look more exotic doing it. So don't argue price and performance if you want to go with today's SAFE, fat looking cars.

We already know today's company and their directions are no where near as exciting or exhilirating as the 90s. Maybe I'm living back in the 90s, back when I was all about 5 years old, haha. Yea, more like I just respect the ideas they had before the late 90s came and lead to the greedy expolitations of poorly designed SUVs and it took over a decade and failing economics for the industry to realize that it was not the way to go...

Anyways back to point, if you have a well taken care of, low mileage NSX, I will go buy a 370Z and we can trade right now. I could use another NSX, if its an early coupe or 02 style that is, hehe. O, and if the Silvia made to the US, the FR equivalent to the ITR, then what would have been the choice then? If the G was chosen, then the guy obviously doesn't care about performance and looks or is just stuck on the G35's ass.

Last edited:
cars i own/owned:
1- 1995 Mitsubishi Lancer, dad bought it for me, and i hated it!!!!
2- 1999 turbocharged Civic hatch 300+whp
3- 2003 Civic type R (owning it until today, the best)
4- 1992 turbocharged Civic hatch 300+whp
5- 1994 Civic hatch
6- 2004 Nissan 350Z
7- 2003 Subaru STi
8- 1992 turbocharged Civic hatch 600+whp (SFWD drag car)
9- 2003 Ferrari 360 (owning it besides the CTR)

the F360 was supposed to be some 02-up NSX for $50k range or pre-02 with conversion, but everytime something came up and delay in completing the deal... and when i was really ready to get it, got this Ferrari for a good deal from my brothers friend but was little bit above my budget, so my brother helped me completing the cash to get it....:wink:

that wouldn't stop me selling the Ferrari for new exotic Honda if there would be any someday! or having the 02-05 after few years when it goes down to $30k's. :rolleyes:

my history says it all, Honda all the way!

DSC_2124.jpg

DSC_2138.jpg

That's great that you would take a 370Z over the NSX. Have you actually owned an NSX, let alone driven one extensively? How about I go buy one and trade you for your NSX if it has low miles eh? lol. The 370Z looks a lot better and is better in everyway than the 350Z. Any 350Z fanboy who does not see this is in denial. With that said, I would rather take a nice kept, low mileage 300ZXTT or slicktop Z32 over the 370Z. Sure I wouldn't mind daily driving the 370Z, but todays cars don't carry the same stance anymore.

I really do let the looks and rarity speak for the car itself. The 370z while looking better, still stands like a sedan and your 50 year old aunt may have one too, haha. It has been proven that we can engineer something to be fast and handle wel. The GTR is the same story back in 1990, just now advertising with more hp and an "independent" platform. So I will rather pay $15K for my exellent condition 48 inch tall Z32, dump $10-$15k into the car worth of mods and smoke your fat, aesthetically hindered $30K-$40K Z33 or Z34 and look more exotic doing it. So don't argue price and performance if you want to go with today's SAFE, fat looking cars.

We already know today's company and their directions are no where near as exciting or exhilirating as the 90s. Maybe I'm living back in the 90s, back when I was all about 5 years old, haha. Yea, more like I just respect the ideas they had before the late 90s came and lead to the greedy expolitations of poorly designed SUVs and it took over a decade and failing economics for the industry to realize that it was not the way to go...

Anyways back to point, if you have a well taken care of, low mileage NSX, I will go buy a 370Z and we can trade right now. I could use another NSX, if its an early coupe or 02 style that is, hehe. O, and if the Silvia made to the US, the FR equivalent to the ITR, then what would have been the choice then? If the G was chosen, then the guy obviously doesn't care about performance and looks or is just stuck on the G35's ass.

I can respect your choice of cars, but honestly, with enough money, you can make just about ANY CAR fast and/ or handle well. It's all about what you want to do with your car and how much time you want to spend behind the wheel and/ or under the car.

Like I said, I'm no 370 Z fanboy, I just respect the car for what it is. And for under $35,000 there's no other car on the market (new) that gives you the same bang for your buck out of the gates.

And no I haven't driven the NSX "extensivelly", but I haven't driven the 370 Z extensivelly either. But I have driven them enough to know how they drive and handle. I mean, I hate to admit it, but as far as performance, my 997 C4S isn't worth the extra $35k I paid for it either when compared to the 370 Z, but the Porsche badge, world class fit and finish, 25 extra hp, AWD, and small technological perks make up for it. And this is where the Porsche separates it's self from the NSX. Beause Honda never really updated the NSX, and Acura's brand image is bacially poo right now, what do you have to justify the extra money? The fit and finish is "similar" to the 370 Z, it has less hp, and the NSX's technology isn't considered "advance" anymore.

So you basically have three things to weigh the NSX against the 370 Z;
1) Exclusivity
2) Mid-Rear Engine Design
3) Unique/ Eye Catching Wow Factor

Which is why I kind of put the NSX in the same categorey as the F 348 and 355. However, the Ferrari's have the "Badge" perk to the nth degree lol.

So I guess my question wouldn't be if I would buy the NSX, it's more so, what "job" would it have in my sports car stable?

My answer is that the NSX would be my once-a-month-weekend-attention-getting-cruiser. Something that I would take to a car show/ Saturday night enthuisast parking lot for people to look at beacause the car is so rare. (Again in the same categorey as the F348 or F355)

The 370 Z would be the car I'd take to the mountains to really act unruly without worring about the cost of maintainence or repairs or paint chips. A car that I could mod freely and for cheap. A car that I wouldn't mind tracking for time attacks or taking on a road trip for 500 miles with the girlfriend.

So yea, if I had a choice, I can see the 370 Z being the car that I would get "now" for that price. The thread is about what Honda fans would drive now and I believe that this car would be it in lieu of a used NSX. If we were talking about the cost of a new NSX then that's when the Porsche would come into consideration. Either a Cayman or a slightly used 06+ 911, depending on your taste and/ aspirations for the car.

Enjoy the NSX and keep it running in good shape. If you get bored or want a change of pace/feel, grab an S2000 and enjoy that too. Until the market improves, we're not going to see any new sport models from Honda. :frown: Although I suppose with a little work, the Civic Si could be fun...

i dont think i will ever get bored of driving a nsx around, thats if i get one once im out of high school:smile:

cars i own/owned:
1- 1995 Mitsubishi Lancer, dad bought it for me, and i hated it!!!!
2- 1999 turbocharged Civic hatch 300+whp
3- 2003 Civic type R (owning it until today, the best)
4- 1992 turbocharged Civic hatch 300+whp
5- 1994 Civic hatch
6- 2004 Nissan 350Z
7- 2003 Subaru STi
8- 1992 turbocharged Civic hatch 600+whp (SFWD drag car)
9- 2003 Ferrari 360 (owning it besides the CTR)

the F360 was supposed to be some 02-up NSX for $50k range or pre-02 with conversion, but everytime something came up and delay in completing the deal... and when i was really ready to get it, got this Ferrari for a good deal from my brothers friend but was little bit above my budget, so my brother helped me completing the cash to get it....:wink:

that wouldn't stop me selling the Ferrari for new exotic Honda if there would be any someday! or having the 02-05 after few years when it goes down to $30k's. :rolleyes:

my history says it all, Honda all the way!

DSC_2124.jpg

DSC_2138.jpg

nice ferrari, is your ferrari paid off?

zzzzzzzzzzzz

I can respect your choice of cars, but honestly, with enough money, you can make just about ANY CAR fast and/ or handle well. It's all about what you want to do with your car and how much time you want to spend behind the wheel and/ or under the car.

Like I said, I'm no 370 Z fanboy, I just respect the car for what it is. And for under $35,000 there's no other car on the market (new) that gives you the same bang for your buck out of the gates.

And no I haven't driven the NSX "extensivelly", but I haven't driven the 370 Z extensivelly either. But I have driven them enough to know how they drive and handle. I mean, I hate to admit it, but as far as performance, my 997 C4S isn't worth the extra $35k I paid for it either when compared to the 370 Z, but the Porsche badge, world class fit and finish, 25 extra hp, AWD, and small technological perks make up for it. And this is where the Porsche separates it's self from the NSX. Beause Honda never really updated the NSX, and Acura's brand image is bacially poo right now, what do you have to justify the extra money? The fit and finish is "similar" to the 370 Z, it has less hp, and the NSX's technology isn't considered "advance" anymore.

So you basically have three things to weigh the NSX against the 370 Z;
1) Exclusivity
2) Mid-Rear Engine Design
3) Unique/ Eye Catching Wow Factor

Which is why I kind of put the NSX in the same categorey as the F 348 and 355. However, the Ferrari's have the "Badge" perk to the nth degree lol.

So I guess my question wouldn't be if I would buy the NSX, it's more so, what "job" would it have in my sports car stable?

My answer is that the NSX would be my once-a-month-weekend-attention-getting-cruiser. Something that I would take to a car show/ Saturday night enthuisast parking lot for people to look at beacause the car is so rare. (Again in the same categorey as the F348 or F355)

The 370 Z would be the car I'd take to the mountains to really act unruly without worring about the cost of maintainence or repairs or paint chips. A car that I could mod freely and for cheap. A car that I wouldn't mind tracking for time attacks or taking on a road trip for 500 miles with the girlfriend.

So yea, if I had a choice, I can see the 370 Z being the car that I would get "now" for that price. The thread is about what Honda fans would drive now and I believe that this car would be it in lieu of a used NSX. If we were talking about the cost of a new NSX then that's when the Porsche would come into consideration. Either a Cayman or a slightly used 06+ 911, depending on your taste and/ aspirations for the car.

zzzzzzzzzzz

370Z!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

But the OP is right, Honda has shot us the d*ck. We have zed performance options. I mean, WTF. I'm reluctantly a Nissan fan boy now because of Honda's lack of passion in their performance category. Nissan has three hot cars right now, the G37 S Coupe, 370 Z, and GT-R.

I can only imagine if Honda decided to make an $80k car with the specs of the GT-R.

Heck, if Honda make a $35,000 car with the specs of the 370 Z I'd be happy.

Such a dissappointment. :frown:

it isn't really old enough to be really old, but can be spanked by car's half the price you'd pay for one?

It's kind of ironic that the 348 was actually Honda's target for the NSX now that I think about it. Wow, since then we've seen the 355, 360, 430, and now a new car is about to bow in another year. Honda is pathetic.

You have a car that is sold by a non prestigious brand for almost $90,000 new when cars half it's price today that are sold by even less prestigious brands can keep up with it is a major fail.

Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE the NSX and have a special place in my heart for these cars. But I refuse to act like the world hasn't passed it by over the past 18 years.

I agree with all these points and it's making me sad. My garage is a shrine to Honda. I think they're letting me twist in the wind while everyone else comes out with great stuff. It really is a fail by Honda. :frown:

I agree with all these points and it's making me sad. My garage is a shrine to Honda. I think they're letting me twist in the wind while everyone else comes out with great stuff. It really is a fail by Honda. :frown:

I look forward to the day when I want a Honda Sports Car again. I will happily put one in my garage.

Me, I'm looking at a 67-69 Camaro. Maybe a 70 split bumper depending on how sweet a deal. Thats if I decide to keep my truck instead of replacing it. A ratrod is pretty tempting too but I really should get something that seats atleast 4 and has a back seat for my daughter's car seat.

Back