• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So, who's planning on buying the new NSX?

Well, the thing is this:

1.) The GT-R is not really in a similar price range to the new NSX. There is an anticipated $40,000 - $70,000 price gap in where GT-R prices start, and where the new NSX is anticipated to be. Maybe even more. A new GT-R is around a $90k car. The next NSX is supposed to be anywhere from $130,000 - $160,000. So they really are not that close in price. If they were withing maybe $10,000 - $20,000 of each other, that would be different. I am excluding the special edition GT-Rs because really the starting GT-R is plenty competitive, and we don't get the special edition NSXs here....so 'apples to apples'.

2.) There are too many NSXs out there for it to be a serious collector car yet. Now, that being said, I do think that maybe 10 - 20 years from now, getting a super low mileage 1991 NSX will be collectable. But not much else will be for a car with a U.S. production run of several thousand cars.

Meeyatch1:

You probably know a lot more about this than I do but I just went online to the Nissan website to get a quote on a basic (called Premium) edition GT-R and I added the premium interior package, a few floor mats and the price was just under $106K. If the new NSX MSRP's for $120K-$130 it would possibly be within $20K of the GT-R. And if it offers better handling, better looks, much better ergonomics, much better fuel economy, better build quality and with similar acceleration, I would think it should easily command such a price premium.

Regarding #2, I appreciate to some extent, your point on the collector car status of the NSX but I am not too sure it holds much water. There are over 2 million 1st Generation Mustangs originally produced and the car has increased in value 10 fold in the last 25 years. So I don't think that the NSX's production numbers of 8K by itself are going hurt it much as a collector car. Many automotive publications are predicting that the NSX's price is already going up and will continue to do so. The second a car goes from money pit to investment, everything changes and it can snowball fast. Very few car models get there and the NSX is one of them. Will the GT-R ever appreciate in value? I don't know. But if history of a model appreciating, is any indication of the next generation appreciating, the next NSX will as well.

Last edited:
well the thing about the collector car market and the fact that there are "millions" of vettes and stangs around begs the question why do some models fetch those prices....it come down to the rarity of certain optioned models or combo of options that create a small subclass of what are very common cars.....the only nsx to fit that bill would be zanardi followed by na2 coupes......plus the fact that the big money guys now were dreaming of vettes and stangs and gto's.I'm sure in 10-15 years when the F&F crowd become the landed gentry we will see strong prices for pristine nsx.

Meeyatch1:

You probably know a lot more about this than I do but I just went online to the Nissan website to get a quote on a basic (called Premium) edition GT-R and I added the premium interior package, a few floor mats and the price was just under $106K. If the new NSX MSRP's for $120K-$130 it would possibly be within $20K of the GT-R. And if it offers better handling, better looks, much better ergonomics, much better fuel economy, better build quality and with similar acceleration, I would think it should easily command such a price premium.

Regarding #2, I appreciate to some extent, your point on the collector car status of the NSX but I am not too sure it holds much water. There are over 2 million 1st Generation Mustangs originally produced and the car has increased in value 10 fold in the last 25 years. So I don't think that the NSX's production numbers of 8K by itself are going hurt it much as a collector car. Many automotive publications are predicting that the NSX's price is already going up and will continue to do so. The second a car goes from money pit to investment, everything changes and it can snowball fast. Very few car models get there and the NSX is one of them. Will the GT-R ever appreciate in value? I don't know. But if history of a model appreciating, is any indication of the next generation appreciating, the next NSX will as well.

Extrapolating between the NSX1.0 to NSX2.0 is a very dangerous game given the substantial difference between the 2 cars.

A car like the NSX2.0 that has all kinds of goodies "might" have a high cost of ownership once the manufacturer's warranty expires.

That is the same exact problem that the high end European cars have, once out of warranty the cost of replacement parts can be ridiculously expensive.

The current R35 GT-R is another example, it costs an arm and a leg for the electronic components, for example replacing the dash instrument panel is close to a $2K expense, replacing the entertainment system that also has the integrated climate control unit is $5K. Replacing a complete DCT transmission with a new one is a 15K-20K job. So in the long term highly doubt that the GT-R will hold it's values.

The more complex the car, the more components that can fail over the long term. The more exclusive the car, the higher the cost of said components due to the lack of volume.

It all comes down to statistics, failure analysis and modeling.

The original NSX retained it's value due to the lack of major mechanical issues (besides the snap-ring failures).

The Bose Stereo system amplifiers as well as the climate control system as well as the window actuators are where the majority of the electronics failures happened, the cost of repairing those were trivial since the repairs consisted of replacement of discrete components (like what BrianK was well versed in doing) or the complete replacement of the units themselves (in the case of the window actuators).

(oops forgot about the coil packs, replaced quite a few of those on my NA2)

Electronic components are no longer discrete, technicians don't replace discrete components anymore, you replace entire modules because the module themselves are complex and you need special equipment to work on them to diagnose/troubleshoot/repair.

FWIW, I'm a EE by schooling, so I am just injecting a dose of reality based on my own personal knowledge of the field.

Last edited:
I don't know what effect of this kind of marketing results in other people. For me, I have lost interest in this car. I am sure it is exciting as hell when one can actually drive one. I will buy a used one in 10 years when I retire just because I am a Honda fan. But waiting for this car is like watching a love scene for hours. I don't care how steamy it is, I have walked to the fridge many times for water and poked my head out of the window to look at a few firetrucks gone by. 25 years between the 2 NSXs is a bit long in my book. Some people got grand kids after a quarter of century. The Jaguar F-type coupe is looking mighty appealing for an old fart like me and my spines might be too stiff for the next NSX.
Steve

I don't know what effect of this kind of marketing results in other people. For me, I have lost interest in this car. I am sure it is exciting as hell when one can actually drive one. I will buy a used one in 10 years when I retire just because I am a Honda fan. But waiting for this car is like watching a love scene for hours. I don't care how steamy it is, I have walked to the fridge many times for water and poked my head out of the window to look at a few firetrucks gone by. 25 years between the 2 NSXs is a bit long in my book. Some people got grand kids after a quarter of century. The Jaguar F-type coupe is looking mighty appealing for an old fart like me and my spines might be too stiff for the next NSX.
Steve

This is you Steve!

2014-Jaguar-F-Type-R-Coupe_zps26203c74.jpg~original

This is you Steve!

2014-Jaguar-F-Type-R-Coupe_zps26203c74.jpg~original

How goes it, Stevie?
Yup, that's my signature color in that Jag.
The original NSX will always be ultra special in the automotive history as it has Soichiro's and Senna's seals of approval. Certainly the new NSX will run circles around V1, but it is just another "supercar". Don't get me wrong though as I like the V2 very much but it is not something that I lose sleep on. All you buyers take good care of them and keep them in low mileage. I will unload one from you in 5 years. Oh yeah, make that a white one for me please.
Steve

But waiting for this car is like watching a love scene for hours. I don't care how steamy it is, I have walked to the fridge many times for water and poked my head out of the window to look at a few firetrucks gone by.
Steve

you are killing me Steve...thats some funny sh%t.

Is it just my imagination, or do clocks in the Honda world turn s-l-o-w-e-r than clocks everywhere else?
It seems like I've been waiting to see one of the new ones in person for DECADES!!!
Perhaps by the time it gets here there'll be new models by everyone else and it'll look old.
I'm with Steve, and I'm still more than happy with my NA1.... after all it took me over 20 years to get it the way I wanted it.
Still love it, still waiting to see if I might love V2.

just got the call from my local dealer...they were just issued their round one and only nsx 2.0 for mid march delivery 2015...1k deposit.So things seem to be rolling along.

Interesting…I gave up my spot late last year. But only b/c I want to see how it plays out (and may be buying something else NSX related).

Just one more year. :thumbup:

I dropped out after being told they would not sell at MSRP. I'll just wait and buy it for a discount after the first year (it happens every time). Plus, I really don't like buying such a new technology during the first model year.

Last edited:
just got the call from my local dealer...they were just issued their round one and only nsx 2.0 for mid march delivery 2015...1k deposit.So things seem to be rolling along.

Are you planning on keeping your first gen NSX or are you going to sell or trade it in?

Thats what warranties are for.I'm sure there will be plenty of tsb's in the early going.

Back