• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

So, who's planning on buying the new NSX?

...... I agree on being fatigued with regards to the upcoming NSX-v2 arrival (or even the production-ready version showing & sharing of specs). I'm hoping for a release in '14 as a '15 model-year offering...
Isn't it a bit late for it to still come out in the calendar year 2014 ? They would have made more press noise by now ..... no?? :)

Ted Klaus told us at NSXPO it would be a 2015 launch
I sincerely hope that "launch" does not mean: Official Introduction, and the actual 'on sale' date winds up in 2016. :frown:

I sincerely hope that "launch" does not mean: Official Introduction, and the actual 'on sale' date winds up in 2016. :frown:

We can be pessimistic or we can be optimistic.
In the case of Honda I hope they are realistic, and launch the car when it's ready and not before.
A late launch is infinitely preferable to a premature launch despite all the verbal flack Honda will get from the naysayers.

We can be pessimistic or we can be optimistic.
In the case of Honda I hope they are realistic, and launch the car when it's ready and not before.
A late launch is infinitely preferable to a premature launch despite all the verbal flack Honda will get from the naysayers.

Yes and you have to remember this: The "masterpiece" of the first gen took many years to develop also. The first radical concept was shown around 1984 known as the HP-X which was going to battle the F328. It took 5 years to be refined into the form we know as the first NSX, while the competition evolved ala F328 to F348. Then it took essentially another two years before the higher powered 3.0 engine was seen in the final production model. Ferrari swiftly responded with F355, but still, in most regards, the NSX was and is a better road going car, not because it was merely faster or more powerful then the F355 (because it was not).

Even Klaus reiterated that the NSX was never about purely hp/numbers. He seems to understand NSX ownership. There is something truly special about owning one that is hard to articulate and even justify, but most owners recognize this.

This time around, the NSX is offering "hypercar" technology and performance for Porsche competitive prices while still maintaining an exclusive production target. One can only hope it will offer the same efficiency and practicality that the first NSX and Honda is known for...

January 2014.....

My understanding is not all Acura dealers will be "authorized" to factory order/sell NSX's. Apparently there is going to be a substantial
dealer investment required in both a special showroom area - to configure new customer cars + special service equipment requirement.

Also believe NSX's will be sold only with a customers bespoke order "built to specification". Nothing in stock except a demo.

Pricing was estimated to start at $120 & go from there.

Not mind reading, just info from those who are closer to the source than me.

...With that said, something that gives more usable performance (due to the "hybrid" electric-assist and SH-AWD) & comparable experience at 1/2 the MSRP of a ~$275k+ 458 Italia and 12C (both arguably dated, going by the hyperfast-evolving automotive-tech trends) isn't necessarily all that bad or undesirable. Even in'lieu of the forthcoming respective model-replacements and/or refreshes. There's a'plenty of buyers in the sub-$150k marketplace buying Vantages, GranTurismos, California GTs, 911-variants, R8s, and the like. Namely, models that are nowhere near 458, 12C, and 911 turbo/etc "quick" & engaging....

There is one BIG factor that ALL of those examples have going for them that the NSX does not....their badges. People spend that money for a few different reasons, but also being able to say, 'I have an Aston Martin,' or ,'...that is my Ferrari over there...,' are all significant reasons people spend $125,000 and up on a car. Acura just does not have that going for it. So when going after many of those customers that are looking for status with their performance, Acura is going to have a hell of a time sustainting sales on a car in that price range. I emphasize sustaining, because those people will always be there when the car first comes out, just like with the original NSX. Then when you are no longer the first and only guy on your well-heeled block with a new NSX, it will be sold and replaced with something else that has a status badge and performance to go with its high price tag. Remember....after the initial year of production, NSX sales fell off considerably, and continued to slowly decline for most of the remaining term of its 14 year production run.

Last edited:
ah Mitch what happened? I remember when the new car first broke you were stoked......standing up close at the first unveil....you were the cars greatest advocate.....now??????

There is one BIG factor that ALL of those examples have going for them that the NSX does not....their badges. People spend that money for a few different reasons, but also being able to say, 'I have an Aston Martin,' or ,'...that is my Ferrari over there...,' are all significant reasons people spend $125,000 and up on a car. Acura just does not have that going for it. So when going after many of those customers that are looking for status with their performance, Acura is going to have a hell of a time sustainting sales on a car in that price range. I emphasize sustaining, because those people will always be there when the car first comes out, just like with the original NSX. Then when you are no longer the first and only guy on your well-heeled block with a new NSX, it will be sold and replaced with something else that has a status badge and performance to go with its high price tag. Remember....after the initial year of production, NSX sales fell off considerably, and continued to slowly decline for most of the remaining term of its 14 year production run.

interesting perspective however, there are at least two points to consider:

1) What what about the success of Nissan's GTR? its sales have remained strong at similar price range, even though Nissan does not have the prestige of the other exotics.

2) now that the first generation NSX has become a collector car, will collectors around the world and other speculators help bolster & sustain demand for the new model?

1) What what about the success of Nissan's GTR? its sales have remained strong at similar price range, even though Nissan does not have the prestige of the other exotics.

2) now that the first generation NSX has become a collector car, will collectors around the world and other speculators help bolster & sustain demand for the new model?

FWIW.

The GT-R in general has attracted folks who are used to high HP vehicles, folks who enjoy AWD vehicles (WRX/STi, Evo, Audi S4) or folks who have been loyal Nissan customers via the 350Z or 370Z products. The original GT-R was in the high 60's and prices have increased incrementally to over 115K (track edition)

A fairly large number of buyers who purchase the cars end up doing mods on them to increase HP since it is so easy to do with either a Cobb or ECUtek. They then play around with them for a while before they sell them.

The fact that the vehicle has been fairly easy to modify and that some of the more obvious issues related to the DCT have for the most part been addressed from the factory is what has kept the demand relatively high for new GT-R's.

People with $$'s don't want to buy a used GT-R since they don't know how the car has been treated and would rather buy new and build up from there.

Just think about taking 15-20% of prospective Corvette customers away from Chevy, and that pretty much would fulfill the entire US sales numbers of the GT-R.

I don't see the interest or hype related to NSX2.0 on any of the other car forums that I frequent, the Detroit showing of the Toyota FT1 probably generated more interest on those forums.

Just as Meeyatch1 mentioned, I also don't know who Honda/Acura is going to poach to get them to purchase the NSX2.0 in the long term.

As a data point I have purchased 10 brand new sports cars between the time that I bought my used 1997 NSX (purchased in 2000 and sold in 2006) till now and I really don't see the NSX2.0 in the future since it took way too long for Acura/Honda to get it's act together, and even then it is building a car that has features that I absolutely do not want.

FWIW.

The GT-R in general has attracted folks who are used to high HP vehicles, folks who enjoy AWD vehicles (WRX/STi, Evo, Audi S4) or folks who have been loyal Nissan customers via the 350Z or 370Z products. The original GT-R was in the high 60's and prices have increased incrementally to over 115K (track edition)

A fairly large number of buyers who purchase the cars end up doing mods on them to increase HP since it is so easy to do with either a Cobb or ECUtek. They then play around with them for a while before they sell them.

The fact that the vehicle has been fairly easy to modify and that some of the more obvious issues related to the DCT have for the most part been addressed from the factory is what has kept the demand relatively high for new GT-R's.

People with $$'s don't want to buy a used GT-R since they don't know how the car has been treated and would rather buy new and build up from there.

Just think about taking 15-20% of prospective Corvette customers away from Chevy, and that pretty much would fulfill the entire US sales numbers of the GT-R.

I don't see the interest or hype related to NSX2.0 on any of the other car forums that I frequent, the Detroit showing of the Toyota FT1 probably generated more interest on those forums.

Just as Meeyatch1 mentioned, I also don't know who Honda/Acura is going to poach to get them to purchase the NSX2.0 in the long term.

As a data point I have purchased 10 brand new sports cars between the time that I bought my used 1997 NSX (purchased in 2000 and sold in 2006) till now and I really don't see the NSX2.0 in the future since it took way too long for Acura/Honda to get it's act together, and even then it is building a car that has features that I absolutely do not want.

Where are you getting this info? Most of the GTR owners that I have seen in my area purchased it because of the hype and value. I think the press the GTR received in late 2007/2008 attracted more non-enthusiasts then the people you are describing. In fact, I know that my local dealership pre-sold their 3 allocated GTR's to individuals who kept the cars completely stock. I'm not saying I know for certain that most GTR owners don't do too many mods, but this seems like a broad generalization without any real facts.

..... but this seems like a broad generalization without any real facts.

I agree, we all like to have the correct data, source of info, facts to back up the claim, but in this case, 2slow's opinion is very much right on. To echo his opinion, back then, there was nothing on the market for "a DD supercar" so Honda can afford to keep everything undercover so the customers can go WOW:eek:. Now days, you have to generate a lot of hype(provided you have a proper car to show) to get some traction for your halo car. Another alum car with a turbo V6....heck, SOS can do that for you right here right now.:smile: how far can the hybrid go??

A local friend bought a 12C and just putting around is very nice. The rear exhaust is high and toasty, perfect for a tailgate BBQ party. Ron Dennis now has the 12C Spyder, CanAm GT3, P1 just within the last couple of years. Those are some exciting car that I need a few more kidneys to afford.

Surprise & Impress us Honda! Seriously.

FWIW.

I think synth19 is right.
I have a friend with a GTR and he is active in the GTR community.
He says almost all the GTR owners he knows have left theirs stock.

There seems to be a lot of hate from the people who love to mods cars versus people who enjoy cars for what they are. The original NSX is a bit of both, but really, it's more of a car you enjoy as-is with minor mods to update it aesthetically or make it more modern. The power mods all cost big bucks to add some serious power and it requires a lot of trust and work.

The new NSX is going to be twin turbo, supposed to be lighter than the GTR, better looking, most likely more reliable and definitely more refined while still being priced only moderately higher than the top-notch GTR. It's not meant to destroy sales numbers like the Corvette, 911 or even GTR (the GTR does not even come close to either one), but yet it will most likely outperform the aforementioned in a overall scored categories. It is a halo car for many to covet and re-establish Honda/Acura as a Motorsports, top-tier brand, and the exclusivity helps enhance that desire, not a flagship car that is supposed to sustain sales directly for the company. That is what the Accord/Civic and Altima/Sentras are for.

I see the majority of the division is from being mod unfriendly, but I think with twin-turbos being supplied from the factory, it is actually more mod friendly than the first gen. All the car would need is an ECU flash and power gains are instant just as any other turbo car these days and I can't imagine what a more freeflowing exhaust could potentially do!

I think N Spec makes some good points.

For all of those who have the means to buy the new NSX but are planning to pass, are there any among you that would rather have a GT-R? If so, what are you thinking? Is it the back seats?

The new NSX is going to beat the GT-R in looks, overall performance, ergonomics, outward visibility, driving feel, fuel economy, most probably build quality and almost certainly resale value - all this for just a little more cost.

Don't get me wrong, I admire what Nissan has wrought in the GT-R and would love to have one. But I would much rather have the new NSX.

Where are you getting this info? Most of the GTR owners that I have seen in my area purchased it because of the hype and value. I think the press the GTR received in late 2007/2008 attracted more non-enthusiasts then the people you are describing. In fact, I know that my local dealership pre-sold their 3 allocated GTR's to individuals who kept the cars completely stock. I'm not saying I know for certain that most GTR owners don't do too many mods, but this seems like a broad generalization without any real facts.

Let's see...

I actually own a R35 GT-R since 2009 I have been a member of what used to be NAGTROC now GTRLIfe, happen to know other GT-R owners as well as local tuning shops even in CA where things are a pain due to CARB.

The raw number of vendors who make products for the GT-R should give you an idea of what the market is like for the car and the orientation of the owners.

If there is no demand the shops would not invest the $$, £, 円 that is needed to get a good ROI plain and simple.

I don't stick my head in the sand and pretend that there are no other car enthusiasts from other brands or try to own a car because of the prestige or the perceived badge that the car carries.

I am very pragmatic, so that probably rubs some preople in the wrong way.

Anyways I was just clarifying things to the person who was talking about GT-R sales numbers. If folks followed the forums they would realize that some folks swapped between CBA's to DBA's and some even own more than one GT-R. It's more like a regular car forum where people are used to upgrading their cars during normal vehicle upgrade cycles.

- - - Updated - - -

I think N Spec makes some good points.

For all of those who have the means to buy the new NSX but are planning to pass, are there any among you that would rather have a GT-R? If so, what are you thinking? Is it the back seats?

The new NSX is going to beat the GT-R in looks, overall performance, ergonomics, outward visibility, driving feel, fuel economy, most probably build quality and almost certainly resale value - all this for just a little more cost.

Don't get me wrong, I admire what Nissan has wrought in the GT-R and would love to have one. But I would much rather have the new NSX.

The GT-R for all practical purposes is a car that was launched in 2007 in Japan, in other words it is almost a 7 year old car.

I never understood the obsession that NSX owners have about beating the R35 GT-R ever since it was launched.

As I have said before, if Honda (sorry Acura) can pull off 3/4 (6/8 to be exact) of the McLaren P1 for around 10% of the cost, then surely they are on to a winner. Whether there are enough people in a position to appreciate and act on this is another question altogether.....

ah Mitch what happened? I remember when the new car first broke you were stoked......standing up close at the first unveil....you were the cars greatest advocate.....now??????

This is true. I was over the moon with excitement when the new car was introduced years ago. It is really pretty simple though....I am tired of waiting on Acura. Plus, I genuinely have a worry that the car will be out of date within 2 years of its introduction, because the cars that they are using as baseline cars over in Ohio to develop the NSX are cars that are almost ready to get replaced themselves. So the other manufaturers will have a 'newer, better mousetrap' shortly after the NSX finally hits customer hands. If I was a millionaire, I would not mind as much. I would just buy it, drive it for 6 months, and dump it. But that is not me. I jumped on the waiting list almost immediately knowing I would be spending a ton of money, but hoping it would allow me the special experience I missed with the original NSX....buying a world changing car brand new. I guess I just hesitate to believe that this will be as Earth shattering when it finally gets to customers compared to other cars you will be able to buy within a year or so of its introduction. I hope I am wrong in that doubt....but that is where I am at.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the thing is this:

1.) The GT-R is not really in a similar price range to the new NSX. There is an anticipated $40,000 - $70,000 price gap in where GT-R prices start, and where the new NSX is anticipated to be. Maybe even more. A new GT-R is around a $90k car. The next NSX is supposed to be anywhere from $130,000 - $160,000. So they really are not that close in price. If they were withing maybe $10,000 - $20,000 of each other, that would be different. I am excluding the special edition GT-Rs because really the starting GT-R is plenty competitive, and we don't get the special edition NSXs here....so 'apples to apples'.

2.) There are too many NSXs out there for it to be a serious collector car yet. Now, that being said, I do think that maybe 10 - 20 years from now, getting a super low mileage 1991 NSX will be collectable. But not much else will be for a car with a U.S. production run of several thousand cars.

Last edited:
He's been rolling in his Mercedes to much, trader.

LOL! The AMG is a very interesting car. I have had it for several years, and the power is pretty insane. Ironically, it has steered me towards getting a CLK63 Black Series. I drove two of them last year, and REALLY liked them. The funny thing is that when I first described to my wife how the CLK63 Black Series impressed me, I told her, 'It reminded me of when I drove the NSX for the first time. It just 'fits' me'. The only part I did not like was the slow paddle shifter. But there is a 'fix' for that from Germany where they have figured out how to reprogram the transmission to shift more quickly, and blip the throttle for downshifts.

Last edited:
Back