• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

*sold* instead of price makes me crazy

To me it is pretty simple. If these transactions are to take place confidentially, then there should be no policy to force anyone to put a price down period. Prime requires that when you list an item for sale, it should have an asking price. Therefore, the asking price is not a private and confidential thing and should remain that way. If someone does not like that, they are certainly free to sell their items elsewhere.

Agreed. This is a free service, and if you don't like the terms (part of which is listing your asking price), sell your stuff elsewhere. Listing and then deleting the price contributes to the community how exactly?

Because actually sale price is usually not the ask price.

Agreed. In addition to some sellers probably just not being clued in to the utility of leaving their asking prices, I have to believe some erasures are from a seller feeling lousy because he sold his NSX for a lot less than he thought it was worth. He wants to forget about it and move on while eliminating the chances for someone remind him of his asking price and - even more fun - to be asked what the final price was. Nobody likes admitting they took a "loss" regardless of it being $500 or 20% and regardless of whether the asking price was reasonable or not. Some sales are emotional for a variety of reasons and everyone has different realities. Ironically, leaving the price up there might eliminate some of the emails from inquisitive shoppers doing market research.

As someone who's in the market for an NSX, certainly seeing recent asking prices helps and I appreciate seeing them. Only once in a while do I hate it!

I agree with the OP. I too have tried to find a reasonable price on items both when selling and buying and hate coming across the very item I'm looking for only to find there is no price to reference.

I dont think people should be forced to leave the price if they dont want to but I would prefer if they did.

I wonder how many people remove the price because they think its the thing to do.

BUT I haven't seen an answer to the OP's question. Why do people do it?

I agree with Turbo2go

leave how much you were asking for the item.

only reply to your thread with " sold mods lock thread "

or " sold to member XXX "

the people that make me real mad are the sellers that are deleting the whole Item discription and replacing it with SOLD

What if you NSX was stolen and stripped..... the theif is tring to sell it on Prime, you get word from another member that an Item similar to yours is being sold you go to check it out and its sold and the pics are removed.

example: 2002 rear valance those sell in seconds
example: 2002 headlights sell in seconds
any conversion parts 02+ sell in seconds
2002+ rims sell in a day
:radio any year sell in seconds

by the time you hear about an item or discover it for yourself the item is sold and no pics.

this should be fixed or a solution found to make everyone happy.

just my 2 cents

The question is, can the posts in ONE SECTION of this forum be uneditable while the rest remain so.

To answer this question, yes, vBulletin will allow you to specifically edit one forum without affecting the rules applied to all of the others. There is a way to make the FS section completely restricted from editing unless you are a moderator. This means, you better have everything right in the OP before you click submit, otherwise, anything missing will need to be corrected by a moderator or you are just SOL. Alternatively, the edits could also go into a moderation queue for approval. More work, maybe a solution - maybe not, would require more moderators to keep up with the traffic.

FWIW...

I was refferencing "new members" of which I dont think they own nsx's... see them list a part out one by one on the forum... then see their name in the buyer/seller experience thread with negative comments..

It was a volume off post in the total that bugs me.. and these are newer members that only post in the for sale section...

Unless someone is a registered vendor, I agree - a regular member just signing up on this forum, with no NSX, no history, and no rapport should not be selling in the FS section. I've blocked similar situations by making a posting requirement in the Member For Sale sections that all users must have a combination of 50+ posts form wide and a minimum of 6-months tenure. This wasn't a soft requirement, it was a hard-coded requirement that would "unlock" the ability to create a new thread in the specified forum. This would not apply to NSX's For Sale or Wanted Cars or Parts, since obviously A LOT of newbies post WTB ads.

But I do agree, editing the entire thread to just saying "SOLD" is ridiculous. Nothing worse than seeing no description, no starting price, no photo, nothing. At that point, the damn thing should just be deleted as it fills up your search results with useless garbage.

Just my two cents. :)

I do not think that not being able to edit your original post is a big deal. First of all, you should review your post to make sure that everything is correct. Secondly, you can always post a reply and say here is another photo, or I made a mistake on the price and this is the new price. Just the same way that people already do with lowering prices on parts that do not sell.

Up until now, I have yet to hear a good reason as to why the original post and it's asking price must be editable by the poster.

I have no idea why you guys are raising hell over this.

There are always two sides of the story... showing prices for sold parts could have the affect of lowering the overall avg prices for used NSX parts in general. Bad for sellers good for buyers.

Ex. If someone needed some cash bad and was willing to get rid of their GTOne 5.1 for $500 then every other shmuck will be lowballing every new GT ONe 5.1 for sale that comes after it thinking it last sold for $500.

Yes, that's only one example and a bit extreme but this whole price thing is a non-issue for me really. I see pros/cons either way you do it.

Last edited:
I have no idea why you guys are raising hell over this.

There are always two sides of the story... showing prices for sold parts could have the affect of lowering the overall avg prices for used NSX parts in general. Bad for sellers good for buyers.

Ex. If someone needed some cash bad and was willing to get rid of their GTOne 5.1 for $500 then every other shmuck will be lowballing every new GT ONe 5.1 for sale that comes after it thinking it last sold for $500.

Yes, that's only one example and a bit extreme but this whole price thing is a non-issue for me really. I see pros/cons either way you do it.

I disagree. I look at what the average is when I list or buy. Just because one or two people sell things cheap and its gone in two hours, and someone else sells it for a lot more and it takes a month, helps gauge where things are at. I personally pay attention to when the thread was created and when it was edited with sold to get a feel for how fast it moved and whether I should mark my item higher to make more $$ from the higher demand.

The point is simple, completely editing a thread to just say "SOLD" or "PLEASE CLOSE" no longer makes the thread relevant, in which case it should be deleted. Nothing is more irritating than searching, finding the thread title you want to read, and opening it to see a one word edit of "SOLD" with no description, no details, nothing. Useless.

Is the main mission of the Prime marketplace to help sellers get the highest price possible? Or does it exist to provide the NSX community a known, centralized location to buy and sell goods in a fair and safe manner? Like I said before, how does erasing ad details (include the asking prices) help serve the community?

Shawn makes an excellent point too IMO.

Ryu, if I was selling a GT one exhaust system, I would not sell it for $500 no matter how many had sold at that price. We know what the thing cost new, and a decent price for a used one would be at around half off. That is how you determine the value of used aftermarket parts. OEM parts prices also follow the same sort of guideline. We know what it costs new from the dealer, and we know what it should sell for relative to that used.

It is only after you have gathered this data, what things cost new, that you can go to the marketplace, do a search, and find what similar units have sold for. That then helps you fine tune the price. You should list it a bit high, because you can always lower your price. I have seen almost all items in the marketplace's out eventually. Prices are many times dropped, but then they sell. That is great information to have for a seller. Bottom line is, this is a public forum. The policy of this public forum states that when you list an item for sale, it should have a price. Editing that out as soon as the item has sold, in my opinion, is breaking the intent of the policy to begin with.

Last edited:
Bottom line is, this is a public forum. The policy of this public forum states that when you list an item for sale, it should have a price. Editing that out as soon as the item has sold, in my opinion, is breaking the intent of the policy to begin with.

No... It isn't a public forum. It's a private forum that we are allowed to participate on.

And the price requirement is not for research purposes explicitly. It is there to prevent this place from turning into eBay with every ad being "make offer" or "obo"... See the rule:

Asking Price Required: This is not an auction site. You must list a price at which you will sell all cars and normal parts. If you don't know the value, search around previous ads or on eBay. You can add "or best offer" but you must be willing to sell for the asking price. If you want to hold an auction, please use an auction service such as eBay.

It does, however, suggest searching to find prices... But does not mandate pricing so that people can do so every time...

In any case, Next time use the search button... :tongue:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94070

Post 4 has the official answer as I said back in the beginning...

Last edited:
Ryu, if I was selling a GT one exhaust system, I would not sell it for $500 no matter how many had sold at that price. We know what the thing cost new, and a decent price for a used one would be at around half off. That is how you determine the value of used aftermarket parts. OEM parts prices also follow the same sort of guideline. We know what it costs new from the dealer, and we know what it should sell for relative to that used.

It is only after you have gathered this data, what things cost new, that you can go to the marketplace, do a search, and find what similar units have sold for. That then helps you fine tune the price. You should list it a bit high, because you can always lower your price. I have seen almost all items in the marketplace's out eventually. Prices are many times dropped, but then they sell. That is great information to have for a seller. Bottom line is, this is a public forum. The policy of this public forum states that when you list an item for sale, it should have a price. Editing that out as soon as the item has sold, in my opinion, is breaking the intent of the policy to begin with.
No disrespect intended but you guys are living in the NSXPrime bubble again. The method you mention is only one way of going about things.

I'm unsubscribing because, to be honest, I don't care either way and don't feel strongly enough about it to argue my point.

Turbo,

Maybe you should ask those posters who does it directly. SOS does the "SOLD" thing and deletes everything else all the time. Maybe he can explain. I try and put the most pics and all the details in my adds. This way people see what they are getting, where it's located, shipping, Paypal, etc and the price is in the ad title. No confusion, no questions. It's only deleted when it's no longer for sale.

Can Lud chime in here? I'm wondering what his thoughts are. To me arguing public or private forum is semantics. Anyone can type www.nsxprime.com/forums and see eveything. To me that's pretty public but this is irrelevant anyway.

The question is, is having a search in this section give results important? Or should be fairly useless as it sometimes is now because of all these edits. Can we not at least get a sticky that says "please leave information if you don't mind". Because right now it's become almost a standard to delete the info. If everyone else is going to continue to delete, then so will I. I'm willing to risk some confidentiality in order to help others, but I dont want to be the only one.

Last edited:
Turbo,

Maybe you should ask those posters who does it directly. SOS does the "SOLD" thing and deletes everything else all the time. Maybe he can explain. I try and put the most pics and all the details in my adds. This way people see what they are getting, where it's located, shipping, Paypal, etc and the price is in the ad title. No confusion, no questions. It's only deleted when it's no longer for sale.

I can see Chris's reason for doing it... He is running a business which sells NSX parts at a retail price. Most (if not all) of his posts (that i remember seeing) in the for-sale forums have been for discounted / one-off deals. Keeping the pricing serves no purpose for him but to bring down the perceived retail of his stuff.

We are talking about "private party" transactions for the most part I believe...

That's a good question. Many sites "expire" ads after some reasonable amount of time (eBay, Craigslist, other classified ad sites come to mind). The listings are still searchable after some amount of time (I think it's a couple weeks for eBay, but am not certain) and after this period, they are removed. The problem with NSXPrime's for sale section is the listings are indefinite. Not only indefinite, but after a certain amount of time, they can no longer be edited.

This has presented two specific problems for us. The first is we've had numerous times where a buyer references an ad from several years, even something like eight years (!) in one instance arguing that a similar part being sold today should be sold for the same price without understanding that the cost of materials increase with years and something listed in 2006 isn't going to be sold for the same price in 2012. The second problem is accuracy of details. We've also had several occasions where an ad being referenced misleads a customer because the information about a specific part was accurate in years past, but a revision no longer makes that correct (we've shipped items to customer who thought they were getting something based on information from an old ad, only to get upset with us, without reading the ad of the item they were actually buying from. This example is a specific example where a part that was sold in early 2000's was listed "for all NSX years". The same part was then sold at a later date, which was not compatible with 2002-05 NSX and advertised as such. Buyer read the first ad, did not rear the second ad, and blamed us for inaccurate information).

I am 100% in favor of keeping all information on ads, including price, for a reasonable amount of time (a year seems reasonable to me). However, beyond that, it creates the problems described above. I suspect that this is more relevant to a seller like ScienceofSpeed, being in business for over ten years, which has sold several of the same items through the years.

In the meantime, when we list ads, we try to be as informative as possible following the guidelines described by site leadership.

-- Chris

I can see Chris's reason for doing it... He is running a business which sells NSX parts at a retail price. Most (if not all) of his posts (that i remember seeing) in the for-sale forums have been for discounted / one-off deals. Keeping the pricing serves no purpose for him but to bring down the perceived retail of his stuff.

We are talking about "private party" transactions for the most part I believe...

I didn't think about that, but that is a good reason, perhaps specific to all vendors, that would also be a concern. There are ads from early 2000's on NSXPrime which not only are priced based on being "used" but also based on 10 years ago cost.

-- Chris

I think having ads have pricing and be around for something like a year as Chris suggests is better than it is now. Although I personally prefer a longer period like 2 years, I still prefer this over what we have now.

Can Lud chime in here? I'm wondering what his thoughts are.

Half the issues I've already expressed my thoughts on in previous discussion threads. The other half are matters of opinion where both sides probably have a point, and a large part of it goes back to the question someone posed of: What is the primary purpose of the marketplace section? It serves several roles, and which is primary probably depends on what a given person is trying to accomplish.

There is no practical solution to "prevent" people from doing it using message forum threads in the way the Marketplace currently operates. I believe that locking the Marketplace forums down to prevent any user edits, period, while maintaining a 1-month bump rule would be unworkable.

I agree with the idea that I'd like to see prices left. However, it is not one of my top 3 concerns with the Marketplace section, and I do not see a clear and simple structural change I can make which will improve the situation around people editing ads after a sale.

I am about to post an announcement for a BETA version of an alternative Marketplace platform I am testing. Perhaps with sufficient feedback / modification that platform can evolve into a better solution. Check this forum in about 5 minutes.

I believe that locking the Marketplace forums down to prevent any user edits, period, while maintaining a 1-month bump rule would be unworkable.

I don't understand this. If I can't edit my post and it doesn't sell and I want to bump it after 30 days, I just reply and it gets bumped and I put in my new lowered price. What is the problem?

I don't understand this. If I can't edit my post and it doesn't sell and I want to bump it after 30 days, I just reply and it gets bumped and I put in my new lowered price. What is the problem?

You are not considering the huge number of ads that people need to edit to correct something within 30 days. Forcing all those edits to go through moderators would be very frustrating for sellers and an unreasonable burden on moderators.

You are not considering the huge number of ads that people need to edit to correct something within 30 days. Forcing all those edits to go through moderators would be very frustrating for sellers and an unreasonable burden on moderators.

Why can't edits be done as replies? "I made a mistake, it is actually for an NA2, here is a photo and my new lower price". I'm not suggesting moderators get involved. I mean, one should read their ad before they post, and if there is an adjustment that needs to be done, do it in a reply. Wouldn't that work?

FWIW I agree with TURBO2GO in that retaining asking price history would provide a valuable service to the community. I don't see the concern for "old" listings tainting the data pool, after all, the posts are dated and people can give older ads less weight, as they see fit.

I also like TURBO2GO's idea that the original poster can only add information in subsequent posts. This is how eBay does it - the original description can't be changed, but the seller can add additional information which is clearly labeled as such.

My $0.02.

I see the problem Lud is referring to now. If you need to edit, you can't currently do it with a reply, because a reply is a bump. Replies are limited to 30 days to limit bumps, and therefore edits in a reply would be limited by the same time period. Lud is worried that someone will not post correctly, need to edit, and now for 30 days he can't.

Back