• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

*sold* instead of price makes me crazy

Is there anything we can do about this? Why does NO ONE leave the prices of the items they sold to help others with market pricing? Why does everyone edit their for sale price to "SOLD" on their for sale ads? For a while, I thought this was a requirement of prime. But now I know it is not. Can we not institute a policy that one cannot edit for a while? I dont get the motivation behind it.

I still want to see the asking price. If it doesn't sell, it is usually dropped. So at least you have an idea what it sold for.

100% agree it drives me nuts too. It's hard to find accurate market prices for items like that. Or even if I don't plan on buying the item I'd still like to know what it went for. Just my opinion :rolleyes:

Hi,

i agree... for me it is makes no sense at all to edit the post and replace the price with "Sold".

a possible solution would be to make posts in the "Parts for sale" sub-forum non-editable.... once sold, the seller would post a reply with something like "Sold. Mods please lock thread"

Thanks,
Nuno

I know why people do it... but i'm unwilling to get mauled down saying im bashing.

and FWIW - its stupid... its tactical by one party and it worked for them.

It benifits the community to not allow this to happen anymore.

Hi,

i agree... for me it is makes no sense at all to edit the post and replace the price with "Sold".

a possible solution would be to make posts in the "Parts for sale" sub-forum non-editable.... once sold, the seller would post a reply with something like "Sold. Mods please lock thread"

Thanks,
Nuno

Having the 30day bump rule makes this impossible...

A bump is not an edit. It's a reply.

A bump is not an edit. It's a reply.

Yes but how do you possibly get threads locked to editing after sold? The editing almost happens WHEN it is sold. Therefore the only way to do that is to make posts un-editable entirely which means an edit would require a new post and therefore require a bump.

Any option that requires even more moderation is probably not one that could be exercised.

EDIT: keep in mind that I agree with your initial thought (and even posted this suggestion myself YEARS ago)... But it just seems like an inactionable activity without even more moderation. People have to do it on their own for this to work and just like it was several years ago when I posted this, they aren't. Maybe you should make this plea in the off-topic forum so maybe people see it as a PSA and it sticks with them.

Last edited:
What is the big deal :confused:?

Its an easy way to judge the market. If you want to sell widgets, look at what other widgets are selling for so you don't rip yourself off... Same if you are looking to buy widgets...

Yes but how do you possibly get threads locked to editing after sold? The editing almost happens WHEN it is sold. Therefore the only way to do that is to make posts un-editable entirely which means an edit would require a new post and therefore require a bump.

Any option that requires even more moderation is probably not one that could be exercised.

EDIT: keep in mind that I agree with your initial thought (and even posted this suggestion myself YEARS ago)... But it just seems like an inactionable activity without even more moderation. People have to do it on their own for this to work and just like it was several years ago when I posted this, they aren't. Maybe you should make this plea in the off-topic forum so maybe people see it as a PSA and it sticks with them.

So the "sold please lock" reply bumps it. So what? It happens now already anyway. And if it happens a few times more, it's still not a big deal. I don't think this is an issue. The question is, can the posts in ONE SECTION of this forum be uneditable while the rest remain so. If that can't be done, I still think it should become policy. We already moderate thing there anyway. Youy can't post an engine or trans without a VIN. Let's say that you also can't (as a matter of policy) edit a price once posted unless you change it in a reply. When that is violated, you can be warned and eventually suspended. SOMETHING, but I am sure if it is just policy, it will stop 90% of this.

So the "sold please lock" reply bumps it. So what? It happens now already anyway. And if it happens a few times more, it's still not a big deal. I don't think this is an issue. The question is, can the posts in ONE SECTION of this forum be uneditable while the rest remain so. If that can't be done, I still think it should become policy. We already moderate thing there anyway. Youy can't post an engine or trans without a VIN. Let's say that you also can't (as a matter of policy) edit a price once posted unless you change it in a reply. When that is violated, you can be warned and eventually suspended. SOMETHING, but I am sure if it is just policy, it will stop 90% of this.

That sounds like it would work for posts selling ONE item but what do you do with multiple ones? You can't edit the original thread to say "sold item x" so you would have to post a new post... Which would then be a bump...

That sounds like it would work for posts selling ONE item but what do you do with multiple ones? You can't edit the original thread to say "sold item x" so you would have to post a new post... Which would then be a bump...

Yeah but how many posts are like that with multiple items? 1 of 30? 50? So one item sells, you reply and it gets bumped less than 30 days. I think that is acceptable. The 30 day rule is there to keep chaos from happening with everyone constantly bumping their threads. If once in a while a thread gets bumped because an item is sold, I really think that is acceptable. If it isn't, then we can just make it policy that you must list every item by itself. But again, I just don't think if I have a steering wheel, a hub, and a horn button for sale and my thread gets bumped twice within 30 days as one item sells, that it is a big deal.

Yeah but how many posts are like that with multiple items? 1 of 30? 50? So one item sells, you reply and it gets bumped less than 30 days. I think that is acceptable. The 30 day rule is there to keep chaos from happening with everyone constantly bumping their threads. If once in a while a thread gets bumped because an item is sold, I really think that is acceptable. If it isn't, then we can just make it policy that you must list every item by itself. But again, I just don't think if I have a steering wheel, a hub, and a horn button for sale and my thread gets bumped twice within 30 days as one item sells, that it is a big deal.

Actualy... when the ".....sold...." edit was implemented... it happened around the same time frame as when people stopped listing multiple items on one thread... I thought it was a great thing to happen till people started parting out cars listing items of the entire car ... one post at a time

ahhhh... the good ole days.. when "parts for sale" spanned a total of two pages.

Its a section so saturated... not only do I never go in there... I dont even bump my threads of parts I want to sell.

I'll bet ricterscale and crxnsx and another 3-4 people have 2 full pages each.. I dont think ricterscale owns an nsx either - but I dont know if he does...

imo - parts for sale is no longer a browse for parts area of prime.. its a search only section and pray you have a 4 letter word to search cuz you dont need... abs, alb, srs, ect ect

and the off topic thread isnt going to mave the masses..

I hope it changes for eveyone.. I'll bet those that are new here pay WAY TOO MUCH for items because of this problem

I'm going a bit off topic here but setting market price for everything based on previous sales is not a great idea for a seller either, only a guide. I sold a few parts off my 2005 NSX that sold within SECONDS, with 30-40 replies. I gave it to the first buyer because... How do you determine what is fair? Does that mean they sold for "market price"? I did check other threads. Just mentioning new wheels I am getting lots of PM's that say "I will take your OEM wheels". I don't think they would last long on the forum, yet people continue to put a rare item like this on, check a "previous" price, price it similar, and bam... It is gone within SECONDS. Is that market price? To me market price is when you can go some place like eBay, where everyone had a chance to submit a bid, and you can see on "completed listings" what the last 6 items like that actually SOLD FOR. When you have a thing like prime marketplace and 20 people are pi***d they didn't contact the seller on time and were perfectly willing to pay more, that is not a good place to determine true market value.

Still, I would love to know what a part listed for, and what it actually sold for. I don't know why this cannot be left alone. I can see at times a buyer wants the final price to remain confidential, but why can't the asking price be left alone? Just because something is sold, it doesn't mean that it went for, below, or above the asking price. We don't really know so the buyer's transaction basically remains confidential anyway. Why get rid of the asking price??? That is all I am saying... Why can't the ASKING PRICE remain on the listing?

Right now neither the seller nor the buyer may care if all of this is public knowledge, but it has become such habit on prime everyone just edits the price with a "sold". I honestly thought it was policy for a while. If nothing comes out of this in terms of a website change, I would at least like to be on here and ask members to to stop doing this as a courtesy to others.

Last edited:
Unless you've ripped off your buyers, or are super secretive about your personal finances for some reason, why not leave the asking price for others to see? It's one way of contributing to the NSX community without costing you a dime.

As a buyer, I usually check what new parts cost first to determine if something is worth what the seller is asking. It's more complicated when the part is discontinued, at which point I will try to find similar items in the marketplace or eBay for pricing guidance, so the more data points the better.

Don't be one of those people that only take from the community and never give back.

Last edited:
And FWIW, I don't care if someone has 13 pages of items for sale and each is on its own thread. These pages where it said "parts for sale" and includes 10 items are kind of a pain and a disservice to the seller anyway. List the item separately so the search works, there is clarity for the person browsing the titles, and it isn't an item within another item. If this is what is hampering the policy to leave prices on, then let it go away. If you are a seller and have 6 items to sell, then take the time to list 6 items in 6 threads. If everyone put a steering wheel, an abs modulator, a center console and tall oil filters in the same thread, what kind of thread is that? it is a mess is what it is.... They were just too lazy to make 4 threads and that's not good for them or the buyer anyway. Let this not be the "reason" why *SOLD* replaces a price.

Last edited:
^^I agree with your rant Dave. I guess some sellers are lazy, or say that they remove the prices to keep other people from bugging them after an item has already sold, but it's easy enough to delete an email or PM. Keeping the historical pricing info available helps other buyers & sellers, and as an avid NSX owner I personally thank those of you that do so!
icon14.gif

Sold means "at a price that was acceptable to both parties". What more do you need to know. Sometimes sellers want to get the best price and some times they just want to get it sold and out of the way so the asking price is frequently not a market price. I would rather see "sold" then a low price listed which would lower what I might get on a similar item.

I don't do a lot of selling here but the price of the repair services I provide have to be realistic and are not set in a vacuum.

Last edited:
Sold means "at a price that was acceptable to both parties". What more do you need to know. Sometimes sellers want to get the best price and some times they just want to get it sold and out of the way so the asking price is frequently not a market price. I would rather see "sold" then a low price listed which would lower what I might get on a similar item.

I don't do a lot of selling here but the price of the repair services I provide have to be realistic and are not set in a vacuum.

And similarly, high priced items will fetch you more money. It goes both ways. Do you think the information hurts more than it helps?

This is a community, and the information helps some of us who are not familiar with fair market values for items. As you said, prices are not set in a vacuum. How does one determine what something is worth without knowing what it has sold for in the past? Prime isn't an auction site, so you can't just list something and wait for the highest offer. I suppose you could, but that's not the intent of our marketplace.

Last edited:
And similarly, high priced items will fetch you more money. It goes both ways. Do you think the information hurts more than it helps?

This is a community, and the information helps some of us who are not familiar with fair market values for items. As you said, prices are not set in a vacuum. How does one determine what something is worth without knowing what it has sold for in the past? Prime isn't an auction site, so you can't just list something and wait for the highest offer. I suppose you could, but that's not the intent of our marketplace.

Prime is a small market place, NSX parts are a specialty items and demand changes daily (who is looking at the for sale section). Sellers are all over the place on prices so what something sold for in the past might low or at market or somewhere else. Listing an asking price is more or less required to sell something so if it sells in 10 min you listed to low and if it takes a month it might be too high. I think most people here just want to get the stuff sold or at least re-homed is a reasonable amount of time. If you list something and it does not sell in 30 days bump it down and if you have a OBO and have no offers then its not a salable item.

And FWIW, I don't care if someone has 13 pages of items for sale and each is on its own thread. These pages where it said "parts for sale" and includes 10 items are kind of a pain and a disservice to the seller anyway. List the item separately so the search works, there is clarity for the person browsing the titles, and it isn't an item within another item. If this is what is hampering the policy to leave prices on, then let it go away. If you are a seller and have 6 items to sell, then take the time to list 6 items in 6 threads. If everyone put a steering wheel, an abs modulator, a center console and tall oil filters in the same thread, what kind of thread is that? it is a mess is what it is.... They were just too lazy to make 4 threads and that's not good for them or the buyer anyway. Let this not be the "reason" why *SOLD* replaces a price.

FWIW...

I was refferencing "new members" of which I dont think they own nsx's... see them list a part out one by one on the forum... then see their name in the buyer/seller experience thread with negative comments..

It was a volume off post in the total that bugs me.. and these are newer members that only post in the for sale section...

Brian what are you saying exactly? That every seller should erase the prices and write "sold", so that if you want to sell a similar item the buyer has no previous reference? It sounds like this is what you are saying. If I am selling product X, I don't have to sell it at a price the buyer may think that it is worth. Do I need to take the buyer's reference points away in order for him to think that my product is worth more? If the reality is that my product truly is worth more, and he does not think so, no one is going to force me to sell it to him.

To me it is pretty simple. If these transactions are to take place confidentially, then there should be no policy to force anyone to put a price down period. Prime requires that when you list an item for sale, it should have an asking price. Therefore, the asking price is not a private and confidential thing and should remain that way. If someone does not like that, they are certainly free to sell their items elsewhere.

I suppose this decision is going to come down to what Lud wants. But the way it is now is frustrating. For me, and I know for many others as well. I bet if we were to take a vote on this, it whould show that the majority of people would want the asking price left on. It is just the asking price that we are talking about, not the selling price. One is private, and one is not.

Last edited:
Brian,

if everyone followed your scenario, then sellers wouldn't have references to know what is fair and buyers would have no clue if the asking price is fair, low or stupidly high...

i agree with Dave when he says that having a price in an add is mandatory, and if so, removing the price is an infraction...

it's the same as owners started to remove VINs after parts/cars are sold or if a salvage is parted and scrapped.... no longer exists, so no VIN

I'm all for not allowing the prices to be deleted after the sale (nor edited to fool everyone).

Nuno

Back