• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Solid "spherical" bushings

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how to call them exactly : "solid", "spherical", "non-compliance"... I would like to replace them all. I already have the non compliance rear beam bushings and toe links. That means there are still 5 each side to replace (front upper and lower, rear upper arm front, rear upper arm rear, rear lower arm front). It is for my track only car running full slicks. What benefit can I expect ? Did one of you do that change and can comment ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid bearings, heim joints or speherical bushings are harsh, they transfer all noise vibration and harshness. Though you say this is for a track car, sometimes replacing ALL of them are going to remove some of the cushion for the tires to do its job. I'd suggest talking to someone who has done this before, as the benefits are likely to be marginal compared to the added possible maintainence depending if yours are gonna have to be greased or refitted over and over. I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but if your goal is say "best possible lap time", the benefit of firmer bushings could net you possibly fractions of a second while spending all that money on say magnesium wheels or lighter chassis bolts could be far more cost effective and take off a complete second. This is a track only car, IS it a pure race car, ie your on full slicks, no interior, no airbags, etc?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full slicks, no interior, cage, lexan windows, brakes, KW Clubsport, splitter ... For sure now I can put a supercharger and gain 2-3 seconds. But if I begin this way, this is a never ending story. Plus I want to keep the reliability high and cost low.

I just want to reach the best chassis settings. Now I encounter a "weak" front grip in certain circumstances (fast corners when not on deceleration phase) which I have not been able to eliminate with different settings (sways, tire hardness, ...). But it is not a surprise with 210 front and 260 rear slicks.

There are not a lot of things left to do. That is why I am asking about the benefits of these spherical bushings. The other last mod I would like to do is wider front fenders to be able to run 240 on larger wheels.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@asylum For your purposes, these bushings will make a significant difference in the responsiveness and stability of the chassis under dynamic cornering loads. The rubber in the OEM bushings will take up some of the chassis movement and release it in unpredictable ways. It's even worse if the rubber is old and/or damaged. This behavior is most noticeable in fast corners as you mention (due to the high load on the bushings) and the best way to describe it is "floaty" or "nervous". Think of it as if the car is wiggling around in its bushings when it is supposed to be set on a stable cornering load. The rear beam non-compliance parts solve a lot of this (due to eliminating dynamic toe change during cornering), but remember they were developed back when NSX OEM bushings were still in good shape. Now, with 30 year old rubber, the rest of the suspension needs attention.

Most people never drive their NSX fast enough to experience this, but you do. :) Thus, I would replace them all. You can go with the Prothane polyurethane kit, but that needs custom fitting, ideally with a lathe. While the higher durometer rubber will mitigate a lot of the issues, it won't completely solve it. To do that, you need the pillowball spherical product. T3TEC and RFY sell kits. Also, I think Cedar Ridge and possibly Pride have options.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your understeer in fast sweepers means you need more front tire and better aero, maybe a bigger front bar...